Why Do Ya'll Think Some Goodcakes Get No Notice??

Lounge By CarolLee Updated 31 Dec 2010 , 1:38am by cakelady2266

CarolLee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolLee Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 2:12am
post #1 of 43

I'm sure there are some decorators here that are puzzled (as I am) as to why some of the cakes here get lots of comments and some truly do NOT get a passing thought. Lots of energy and cost and, I think, skill goes into these productions. Maybe it's just me. I have made some comments on some beautiful cakes that had never been commented on.......it had been MONTHS in some cases. What's up?? Maybe it's a club we're not a member of? Just let us KNOW!! Also, I know there are thousands of cakes here. But, still. The newest photos come down the line every single day. Honesty please. Is it because the "fondant" ones get the most notice since it's the new thing??

42 replies
au_decorator_76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
au_decorator_76 Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 2:18am
post #2 of 43

I know. icon_sad.gif I posted 2 cakes today, wedding and grooms cake that I am very proud of... several lookers but no comments. Makes me sad but I try to let it go.

julesh268 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julesh268 Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 2:22am
post #3 of 43

Sometimes I am shocked when I stumble upon a BEAUTIFUL cake and there is not a single comment. Naturally I have to leave a comment then! I do think that people tend to leave comments on the cakes that are super unique...and sometimes don't even look like a cake. Because I know comments sometimes are hard to come by I am so thrilled when someone takes the time to leave a comment.

glow0369 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glow0369 Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 2:32am
post #4 of 43

I think we have basically concluded through another thread that it is all about timing...and it's nothing personal icon_smile.gif

ShaunPepe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShaunPepe Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 2:32am
post #5 of 43

I'll be honest with you and say that in the short few months I have been browsing CC I usually only leave comments on the REALLY nice cakes (in my opinion anyways). That is like PP suggested the unique cakes or cakes with really fancy work or flowers. But thats just me anyways. I know in a nice world it would be great it we all post comments on everyone's nice cakes to give them credit and make them feel really good about their hard work. I sometimes wonder how so many people on CC have the time to write so many posts. I can hardly find the time to view, let alone post comments on many of the photos. But that's just my opinion anyways, I hope there are many out there that are taking the time to post comments on as many cakes as they can.

CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 2:36am
post #6 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunacey

I'll be honest with you and say that in the short few months I have been browsing CC I usually only leave comments on the REALLY nice cakes (in my opinion anyways). That is like PP suggested the unique cakes or cakes with really fancy work or flowers. But thats just me anyways. I know in a nice world it would be great it we all post comments on everyone's nice cakes to give them credit and make them feel really good about their hard work. I sometimes wonder how so many people on CC have the time to write so many posts. I can hardly find the time to view, let alone post comments on many of the photos. But that's just my opinion anyways, I hope there are many out there that are taking the time to post comments on as many cakes as they can.

Same here. Where does everybody fine the time to post if there fulfilling cake orders, cleaning, taking care of little ones, etc.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 2:39am
post #7 of 43

I rarely look at the cakes. I could almost say never but I do go look if someone points one out to ask a question about. But I never go browsing.

I don't have any photos on here either. It's not important to me that people comment and say sweet nothings to me. phffft

Why do you expect comments?

au_decorator_76 Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 2:44am
post #8 of 43

For me personally I don't expect comments. But I am a newbie though and we, newbies, need/want validation.

doofusmongerbeep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doofusmongerbeep Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 2:55am
post #9 of 43

I think a lot of it is timing. For example, if you post it late at night on a Sunday, don't expect a lot of notice.

Also, I personally think a lot of it depends on the kewords and description you enter for the cake. The better the cake title, description, and search parameters, the more hits you'll get when people are looking for ideas, and the possibility of feedback.

I like comments too, but it gives me just as many warm fuzzies to get one of my cakes marked as a favorite. icon_biggrin.gif

I think it'd be cool if there was a "like" button like in facebook. Sometimes everyone else has already said what I would have, or it'd just be nice to give a general quick "good job" type thing. But I'm sure Jackie has enough going on already without looking into adding another feature. icon_smile.gif

My 0.02. icon_smile.gif

CocoaBlondie Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 2:59am
post #10 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by au_decorator_76

For me personally I don't expect comments. But I am a newbie though and we, newbies, need/want validation.

I know what you mean. When I was first starting out I posted all my photos & wanted comments, to see how my progress was. Now it's different. I only put up photo's that CC helped me with or something that I think others here would want a reference to.

-K8memphis Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 3:03am
post #11 of 43
Quote:

Tthe only validation that matters is the one from within.
If you don't know you're great it doesn't matter how many other people tell you that you are.

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 3:03am
post #12 of 43
Quote:

I'll be honest with you and say that in the short few months I have been browsing CC I usually only leave comments on the REALLY nice cakes (in my opinion anyways).

Same here, I only comment the cakes I find truly unique and exceptional. But I do click the "add to favorites" button A LOT. I must have hundreds of cakes in my favorites list. I love to look and them and marvel at the talent and creativity of the CC members.

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 3:04am
post #13 of 43

I try to leave comments, especially on cakes that don't have any yet. adding yet another comment to the "most saved today" photos that already have so many seems silly.
sometimes it's hard to guess which cake will garner favorite saves/comments though, the red snowflake one I uploaded most recently shocked me by getting 5 comments & 18 favorites, yet the stacked presents baby shower cake I had uploaded the weekend before- which I thought was one of the best ones I've ever made- only got 10 favorites & 2 comments

CocoaBlondie Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 3:11am
post #14 of 43

I've said this in a post before. I really think that the photo quality or a fancy backdrop is what gets a lot of favs. Which I've come to realize is great for your website etc. For us being cake makers sometimes looking at the actual cake itself makes me wonder why icon_confused.gif it's a fav. To me it comes down to the actual work & skill.

au_decorator_76 Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 3:20am
post #15 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis

Quote:

If you don't know you're great it doesn't matter how many other people tell you that you are.

Not trying to come off as rude but that's in a perfect world. I'm not a perfect person and 99% of people need validation from others and you know that's true. You'd be lying to say otherwise. I'm not saying it's the validation that matters most... just saying it's what most people need to feel that within. It always makes people feel good to get compliments. My $.02

theonlynameleft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theonlynameleft Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 3:24am
post #16 of 43

I think because there is such an array of truely amazing cakes on here it gets to the point where its got to be something pretty extraordinary before people bother to comment, and as others have said to its also about timing. I know its nice sometimes to get the odd wee comment so now and again when I have time I actually have a wee gander through the newly added to pics and leave comments on a few because I think people really do appreciate that little boost to their ego icon_smile.gif

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 3:26am
post #17 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbark

I try to leave comments, especially on cakes that don't have any yet. adding yet another comment to the "most saved today" photos that already have so many seems silly.
sometimes it's hard to guess which cake will garner favorite saves/comments though, the red snowflake one I uploaded most recently shocked me by getting 5 comments & 18 favorites, yet the stacked presents baby shower cake I had uploaded the weekend before- which I thought was one of the best ones I've ever made- only got 10 favorites & 2 comments

Oooo... I love the red snowflake cake. You have 19 faves now. I might just "borrow" your design for my sister's birthday (Dec 22) cake this year.

The stacked cake is beautiful too, but my attention is focused on holiday designs right now. Must go search for more Christmas cake ideas.

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 3:29am
post #18 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by moreCakePlz

Quote:

Oooo... I love the red snowflake cake. You have 19 faves now. I might just "borrow" your design for my sister's birthday (Dec 22) cake this year.

The staked cake is beautiful too, but my attention is focused on holiday designs right now. Must go search for more Christmas cake ideas.

oh thank you! icon_redface.gif I had to try out my new PME snowflake cutters.

I didn't even think about that aspect, but probably very true, I also have been looking for Christmas designs to inspire the cakes I have this month.

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 3:37am
post #19 of 43

I don't know what it is. When I first came on cc, with the different format, it seemed like my cakes got alot more attention, now not so much. I know I have gotten better, but would think that I have gotten worse. I save alot of pictures to my favorites, usually special techniques I want to try. but have gotten lazy about commenting.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 3:48am
post #20 of 43

I have to agree - I think it is timing. I love looking at all the cakes, but with so many being uploaded, some get lost. There is a thread for undernoticed cakes.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-579322-undernoticed.html

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 4:03am
post #21 of 43

I think its mostly timing...and secondarily, what people want to "keep for future reference".

I find some of my most difficult cakes were done for a highly unique theme....and most likely, nobody will ever do a cake for that theme again. So people may not save it because they are thinking "Neat cake, but I won't ever try it."

I recently did a cake that took HOURS of work and quite a bit of gumpaste stuff...but the theme was pretty "rare" I guess and I think I only got two saves...but eh...I do it for my customers! They were happy, I got paid, and that's what matters.

Of course its always fun to get noticed here when I can!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 4:08am
post #22 of 43
Quote:

I know one time I got way more saves and comments on a simple edible image 8" round I did than an intricate cake that took hours. Too funny!!! Its all in what catches people's eye from the thumbnails too, I think.

jenny311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenny311 Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 4:10am
post #23 of 43

Timing does have something to do with it. The easiest cake I have made thus far is my most saved cake on here, and some that took hours upon hours to be completed don't get noticed. Luckily I have one getting some looks today that I just made icon_smile.gif

NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 4:15am
post #24 of 43

I so agree ladies! It's funny, I am new to CC and I finally got a comment on one of my cake the other day, was so excited, I had to go to tell my DH all about it. He just smiled and said " Seriously?" Now don't get me wrong, he is amazingly supportive and helps alot with my cakes and is constantly praising my work. But when you are trying new techniques, you want to hear other people just say "good job". I know that is kind of childish, but it is who we are. icon_rolleyes.gif I try my best to put at least 1 or 2 words of praise/encouragement on the cakes that I look at. But I agree with some other people, a lot of it is timing. On late Thursday - Friday night, we are usually busy getting cakes ready for Saturday deliveries. icon_rolleyes.gif

-K8memphis Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 4:26am
post #25 of 43
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Not trying to come off as rude but that's in a perfect world. I'm not a perfect person and 99% of people need validation from others and you know that's true. You'd be lying to say otherwise. I'm not saying it's the validation that matters most... just saying it's what most people need to feel that within. It always makes people feel good to get compliments. My $.02

It's interesting--I think it's in a perfect world you get the validation.
So to me 99% of people think they need it.

I mean what happens if you don't hear it? You've got to tell yourself.

How does one generate it? It just seems like people are blue if they don't get the pats on the head. I'm just shooting straight.

I think when you really need it you gather up your supporters and if you bake it they will praise. A bunch of strangers online not so much.

Yes it's important. Stopping and waiting for it, pouting--just say no.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 4:28am
post #26 of 43

We have 316156 registered users
In total there are 3236 users online (right now as I'm posting)
Most users ever online was 6165 on Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:23 am
Our users have posted a total of 2340939 articles

Those are the statistics from the CC site. There are simply too many cakes---it has absolutely nothing to do with being "worthy" or "being ignored". My darling niece created a free website on shutterfly.com (you can see my site by clicking on the www icon below). If I want someone to see my cakes, I direct them to that website.

I use CC to get ideas, instructions, tips, and answers to hard decorating questions. I also use the CC search to find cake examples for inspiration. I don't have time to browse thru the cake photos--if they are not on the home page, I don't see them. If a search results in a cake I particularly like, I'll comment.

NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 4:35am
post #27 of 43

Apti: I agree. I do go looking at cakes for inspiration, but generally, I don't have the time to look at all the cakes posted for that day, or even anywhere close to what was posted.
I guess the bottom line is : We all need a little "love" for what we do. icon_rolleyes.gif I am blessed that my family and friends give me the "admiration" that is needed. Since I am new to decorating, it is especially rewarding when I get a compliment on here. When I first joined, I was intimidated and wouldn't post my cakes.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 2:11am
post #28 of 43

It takes at least 5 minutes to see a cake, let alone try to comment on them.
Not everyone has high-speed internet.
I don't even look any more.
Don't post mine any more either.
-
Not to mention the threads complaining of the QUALITY of the comments.
First we have a thread 'why no comments' then it's a thread 'the comments aren't what I want to hear'.
Meh. No point. Can't make everyone happy.

julesh268 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julesh268 Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 1:30am
post #29 of 43
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It's interesting--I think it's in a perfect world you get the validation.
So to me 99% of people think they need it.

I mean what happens if you don't hear it? You've got to tell yourself.

How does one generate it? It just seems like people are blue if they don't get the pats on the head. I'm just shooting straight.

I think when you really need it you gather up your supporters and if you bake it they will praise. A bunch of strangers online not so much.

Yes it's important. Stopping and waiting for it, pouting--just say no.

I think you missed the OP's post. If I get all dressed up to go to a party I like to have people say, "hey you look beautiful, nice dress, bla bla bla" If I don't hear those things I don't go home in tears...but it does make the whole experience nicer. So, I don't think the OP is on the verge of jumping from a bridge because she doesn't get compliments on her cakes.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 2:51am
post #30 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoaBlondie

Quote:

I sometimes wonder how so many people on CC have the time to write so many posts. I can hardly find the time to view, let alone post comments on many of the photos. But that's just my opinion anyways, I hope there are many out there that are taking the time to post comments on as many cakes as they can.

Same here. Where does everybody fine the time to post if there fulfilling cake orders, cleaning, taking care of little ones, etc.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Since I hold the record on this, let me share that I am a speed reader and a speed typist. At one job, HR gave a little in-house seminar on how to proofread and she told us "try to skim it a couple of times in the allotted time." Heck I read every single word seven times in the allotted time! You know how people will buy a magazine for an airplane flight? I can read a whole magazine before we taxi away from the gate. One year for Christmas I received 10 new books. Had them all read before New Years Day. I can actually read a report as its flying thru the copy machine (a skill that came in VERY handy in my secretary days!)

I told one of my IT guys that I needed more space in my email because I get 200-300 emails per day. He tried to do the math to figure there was no way I got that many (how many can be read in 8 hrs type of thing). I stopped him and said that I could read and reply to 15 emails while he was trying to figure out his password. Warned him, "Do NOT try to do the numbers game against me. you will lose. Period." icon_twisted.gif

My reading is at such a speed that I list it as a skill on my resume.

I work 30-35 hrs a week (the midnight/graveyard shift) at a hotel PLUS I go to college full time PLUS I still have a kid at home (she's a senior in high school, but she's still at home) PLUS I write, PLUS I do speaking, PLUS I babysit my grandchildren, PLUS .... like many on here .... our house is one of those "if mama don't do it, it don't get done!" kind of places.

SLeep? SHoot! "WE do't need no stinkin' sleep!" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I check CC and my email between classes at school; I take my laptop with me to work and browse there (at 3 in the morning, all hotel guests are asleep and there's not much for me to do!)

So yeah .... its possible. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%