Need Help On Carving A 3D Airplane

Decorating By Suzisweet Updated 15 Dec 2010 , 6:28pm by Suzisweet

Suzisweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzisweet Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 9:23pm
post #1 of 11

Hi all!
Carving a cake is my cakemaking kryptonite!! I shake in my boots any time I have to pick up a knife around a cake unless I happen to be slicing myself a pieceicon_smile.gif

My father is a pilot and I would love to carve a 767 for him. Ambitious for a non carver, I know. But I want to conquere this fear once and for all.

Can anyone explain the correct way to go about doing this so that the cake is correctly carved and proportioned. I read someone saying how they use blueprints?!?!? Where in the world would I get a blue print for this plane?? Seriously, if anyone has ANY advice or how to's, I would be eternally greatful!
TIA!!
Suzi
I am attempting to attach a picture.

10 replies
Suzisweet Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 9:25pm
post #2 of 11

sorry, picture will not attach.
Maybe this link will work...

jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?aircraft=Boeing 767-2

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 9:42pm
post #3 of 11

Get a ruler up to that picture and measure it. If the fusilage is 3 inches long and the tailfin is 1.25 inches ltall then you just start multiplying--say you wanna 12 inch long plane--well you gotta multiply by agh 4 so the fusilage is 12 inches long and the tail fin is now 5 inches tall.

Just get a good level shot of the plane --more of a full on photo rather than a photo that's at an angle--a good silhouette. Measure everything, multiply. You can even use stats if you can find them. So then you would divide those numbers!

Those wings--I'd use foamcore or foam --maybe do gingerbread on top or I mean tons of possibilities.

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 10:11pm
post #4 of 11

My father is a retired Air Force pilot. He loved that I just tried to do it!

He flew B52's and 17's.

I never ever figured those out and that would be sort of easy. The fusilage is fat!

What he really wants me to do is a Cessna 206 Skywagon! Our favorite station wagon and his own personal plane.

Suzisweet Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 10:42pm
post #5 of 11

K8memphis - Thank you for the info! Have you ever used gingerbread with any of your cakes? I like to try and make everthing edible...I know sometimes that it is just an impossibility. I do love the idea of the wings being cookies! I just may make them tomorrow.

HowCoolGomo1 - My father too, is retired Air Force. Fighter pilot F-15 or 16 can't quite remeber. Then to New Jersey National Guard then off to ATI as a cargo/freight carrier. He was a DC 10 (I think) then just switched to their new 767. He was so excited to get to fly this one I thought that this cake would be appropriate!

Thanks again for the help!
Suzi

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 4:19am
post #6 of 11

Send me a pic! My Dad would love to fly that guy!

My baldy might be able to help me help you!

-K8memphis Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 4:38am
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzisweet

K8memphis - Thank you for the info! Have you ever used gingerbread with any of your cakes? I like to try and make everthing edible...I know sometimes that it is just an impossibility. I do love the idea of the wings being cookies! I just may make them tomorrow.

Thanks again for the help!
Suzi

Yes I did a lid for a record player but it was laying down.
And I've made sleighs too come to think of it.

http://www.acmecakes.com/images/IMGP0015k82.jpg

http://www.acmecakes.com/images/2007-05-02_17-57-23_0055.JPG

Those wings are gonna need some support. I use honey instead of molasses because honey will bind it up and molasses reacts to humidity.

mdiaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdiaz Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 5:51pm
post #8 of 11

@sweet, I'm a newbie also, but have you thought about making the airplane with RKT, I mean would be easier for you to carve and you can put it on top of a cake. IDK but it could work too!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

Suzisweet Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 6:03pm
post #9 of 11

Thanks for the help but I really want the airplane to be the cake. I have actually found blue prints and will try using them.
My Dad was called out early so I have until after Christmas now to get this figured out, even if that means making a trial cake.

If I just can not manage to make it as imagined. Then maybe I'll reside to making an airplane for the cake top as I found a super cute idea that I can use as inspiration and design specifically around my dad. If I do that though I will be using fondant/gumpaste and marzipan as they will not be overly large.

Thanks for taking the time to check out my question!!
Happy Baking!
Suzi

-K8memphis Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 6:13pm
post #10 of 11

Ok--then for toppers here's a couple other pics--

http://acmecakes.com/images/R0010562.JPG

That one is Wilton's^^^

Then on mine--my landing gear sunk into the cloud!!

None of those are right style--just some ideas on how to execute the idea.

Suzisweet Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 6:28pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks for the pics!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%