Please Tell Me ...

Decorating By Sandysdream Updated 12 Dec 2010 , 7:50pm by CWR41

Sandysdream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandysdream Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 4:09pm
post #1 of 5

What to do so that my bottom cake does not make fold marks when I put on the top cake? It is very warm at the moment and I am struggling with this problem. (See side of bottom cake in photo attached.) I covered the bottom cake the previous night with fondant and only put on the top cake the following afternoon, but still it made the folds.

Thx.

4 replies
idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 4:21pm
post #2 of 5

I don't see an attached picture, or a link. Did you use any kind of support system between the two layers? Bubble tea straws, dowels, SPF?

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 4:26pm
post #3 of 5

if your getting "folds" i'm assuming it's around the middle of the bottom tier and they folds aren't vertical.

You need to make sure you put at least 4 supports in the bottom tier to support the top tier. Make sure they are not shorter than the height of the bottom cake otherwise your top cake will still put pressure on the bottom tier.

Sandysdream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandysdream Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 4:52pm
post #4 of 5

No, I did not use any support. Do you always use support like dowels, even if it is only two cake on top of each other? I get customers complaining when I put dowels inside the cake. icon_confused.gif (Tried the attachment again, hope it works now.)

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 7:50pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandysdream

No, I did not use any support. Do you always use support like dowels, even if it is only two cake on top of each other? I get customers complaining when I put dowels inside the cake. icon_confused.gif (Tried the attachment again, hope it works now.)

Only two cakes or two tiers? Yes, you need supports for every 4" of vertical height. If your customers complain about dowels or any form of support system, you need to inform them that their cake may collapse.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%