Candy Canes In A Cake? This Will Work, Right?

Baking By sweetmonkeycheese Updated 17 Dec 2010 , 2:02pm by indydebi

sweetmonkeycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmonkeycheese Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 3:46pm
post #1 of 19

I want to make cupcakes w/ candy cane bits, if I put the candy in a food processor it will ground it up small enough so when it bakes it will completely melt? I am making the cupcakes for 2 and 3 yrs old I dont want any hard parts left.

18 replies
Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 3:52pm
post #2 of 19

I have done this before, but mine didn't melt down completely. I may not have made them tiny enough though.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 4:47pm
post #3 of 19

If you want peppermint flavor, why not substitute mint flavoring for the vanilla in the recipe? That would ensure there's no hard bits.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 6:00pm
post #4 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

If you want peppermint flavor, why not substitute mint flavoring for the vanilla in the recipe? That would ensure there's no hard bits.

I might try Pepermint Schnapps (sp?). I made a chocolate mint cake with Creme de Menthe and it was delish!

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 6:02pm
post #5 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

I might try Pepermint Schnapps (sp?). I made a chocolate mint cake with Creme de Menthe and it was delish!

VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 6:35pm
post #6 of 19

Right now you can actually get peppermint chocolate chips. They're not hard so no worries for the kiddies. I got a bunch from Walmart. They also have creme de menthe chips. I bought some for baking, but admit I bought some extra to add to ice cream for a sweet treat at night.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 7:20pm
post #7 of 19

It sounds like you would like to have a christmas confetti cup cakes. Instead of hard candies use peppermint flavoring as suggested, and red jimmies to sprinkle in the cake batter. That would give you the visual and flavor appeal without the dangers poised by hard candies. You could sprinkle some of the jimmies on top of the icing

sweetmonkeycheese Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 1:58am
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narie

It sounds like you would like to have a christmas confetti cup cakes. Instead of hard candies use peppermint flavoring as suggested, and red jimmies to sprinkle in the cake batter. That would give you the visual and flavor appeal without the dangers poised by hard candies. You could sprinkle some of the jimmies on top of the icing

Ha ha, I had to google "Jimmies" never heard them called that

sweetmonkeycheese Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 1:14pm
post #9 of 19

y'all were right, add flavor and sprinkles, not chopped candycanes. I put 4 candycanes in the food processor and got them into lil lil peices and added them to the batter, they did melt all the way down (no hard parts) but once baked you could not really taste them, plus it's discolored the batter so it's all a peach color. It's for 2 yr olds so not a big deal, the cupcakes still taste good, they just have a nondescripted taste (I am guessing still tastes like mainly white cake) fun little experiement, I was hoping to avoid buying a flour taht would hardly be used thats why I wanted to try the candies.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 1:32pm
post #10 of 19

I know Andes is selling peppermint candy bits right now. They are selling both bits of their Andes mints and bits of peppermint crunch. I think they melt when baked but never tried it.

ali06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ali06 Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 1:52pm
post #11 of 19

I tried that a few years back and that was the last time. First off the candy will melt but it will become hard again once the cake cools. Also trying to get it out of the pan in one piece is difficult. It didn't taste right and the texture was inedible. I'd go with thin mints or something similar.

tazmycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tazmycat Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 2:09pm
post #12 of 19

You do know peppermint schnapps is alcoholic.......

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 3:35pm
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmycat

You do know peppermint schnapps is alcoholic.......

So is Peppermint Extract, and most likely higher proof than the Schnapps!

BethLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BethLS Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 3:35pm
post #14 of 19

The alcohol burns out when baked.

Vanilla is highly alcoholic...it gets baked out as well.

(I make my own vanilla with straight vodka and vanilla beans. Very potent stuff, but the alcohol still bakes right out)

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 4:35pm
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmonkeycheese

Quote:

I like narie's idea.

And like you, I didnt' know waht jimmies were and my New Jersey son-in-law kept calling them that. I kept telling him "around here, they're called 'sprinkles.'" but when I researched it, I found there *IS* a diff between sprinkles and jimmies! icon_redface.gif (geesh, I just took mother-in-law'ing back a couples of steps! icon_lol.gif )

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 4:44pm
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BethLS

The alcohol burns out when baked.

Vanilla is highly alcoholic...it gets baked out as well.

(I make my own vanilla with straight vodka and vanilla beans. Very potent stuff, but the alcohol still bakes right out)

Actually, it's not true that alcohol bakes out BUT for small amounts of extract, it probably doesn't matter. For larger amounts like 1/4 cup of alcohol for baking, probably not. The longer you bake it, the more bakes out but it never completely bakes out.

There is a difference between 1 t. of extract versus 1/4 cup or more of alcohol. Trying to compare the 2 really shouldn't be done.

ranae5463 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranae5463 Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 5:12pm
post #17 of 19

I've made cakes with coffeemate flavored creamers. I use half the called for water and the rest with whichever creamer you choose. And because it's Christmas I've seen 5 "seasonal" flavors in the stores now of the coffee mate creamer, one being peppermint.

sweetmonkeycheese Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 1:56pm
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmonkeycheese

Quote:

I like narie's idea.

And like you, I didnt' know waht jimmies were and my New Jersey son-in-law kept calling them that. I kept telling him "around here, they're called 'sprinkles.'" but when I researched it, I found there *IS* a diff between sprinkles and jimmies! icon_redface.gif (geesh, I just took mother-in-law'ing back a couples of steps! icon_lol.gif )

what is the difference?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 2:02pm
post #19 of 19

most places said they were basically the same, but I found a couple that differentiated that jimmies were the long "little hot dog" shaped colored things and sprinkles were the more sugary looking "sparkly" type of things.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%