About To Give Up On 6" Rounds

Baking By awatterson Updated 12 Dec 2010 , 10:08pm by jagvipers

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 1:40pm
post #1 of 10

I am about to give up on 6" rounds because they cause nothing but trouble. I use the WASC in a fat daddios and magic line pans and my oven is at 325. They take longer to cook than my 8" cakes and a majority of the time the cake tester (the metal one with a blue top) will say that it is done and then after it has been out of the oven for about 5 minutes it starts to sink and then when I flip it out it isn't done.

Even icing the dang things it more difficult than the 8". What in the heck am I doing wrong.

9 replies
psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 2:12pm
post #2 of 10

maybe your putting too much batter. try using a smaller amount.

awatterson Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 3:02pm
post #3 of 10

I use 2 cups like Wilton says. How much do you use?

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 3:15pm
post #4 of 10

Use a bamboo stick. You want something that the batter can cling to. I have the same cake tester. I stopped using it when I read this tip some where else.

And it shouldn't be needed for a 6" pan, but you can use an inverted rose nail in the center to see if that helps.

poptart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poptart Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 3:36pm
post #5 of 10

I dislike them as well!! Especially trying to frost the darn things!! I have an awful time getting them nice and smoothicon_sad.gif

awatterson Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 9:14pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks for the tip on the bamboo stick. I have one and I used it.

LNW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LNW Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 9:28pm
post #7 of 10

Ive never had trouble with cooking one. I cant ice one to save my life though. Mine always come out slanted. I guess I push too hard when I apply the icing and by the time Im done its all leaning to one side. Every.single.time. I have to use a paper towel and push the cake layers around until they are straight again.

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 9:43pm
post #8 of 10

I found it helps to cut the sugar by half in the WASC recipes if you are having problems with sinking middles. Ever since I started doing that I haven't had a single cake sink. But I agree that icing the little suckers is a royal pain in the butt!! P.S. I also include 1 tsp. of baking powder when I sift the dry ingredients together. Good luck!

awatterson Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 9:55pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks christeena. I like the baking powder tip. I wish I had that before I made 8 cakes today.

jagvipers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jagvipers Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 10:08pm
post #10 of 10

I also had this problem and I make a lot of 6-inch cakes - I started to put about 1-1/2 cups of batter in and now dont have that problem. It's about 5 ice-scream scoops for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%