Putting Fondant In The Fridge??

Decorating By KPlyler Updated 12 Dec 2010 , 12:13am by BlakesCakes

KPlyler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KPlyler Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 12:00am
post #1 of 3

I need a bow for tomorrow and im afraid that the strips wont totally dry over night. will it be ok to put the strips in the fridge to help it harden quicker?

2 replies
Twinflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Twinflower Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 12:07am
post #2 of 3

When I am short on time I let my bow loops hang in front of a fan. Once the can hold their shape very well I lay them on their sides on a cooling rack and continue with the fan. This will dry them out quickly. When it comes time to assemble I use white chocolate tinted to match the bow. The chocolate hardens within a minute or two!

Using this method I can make a mmf bow in the morning and have it on the cake before bed!

Good luck!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 12:13am
post #3 of 3

No. Don't put it in the fridge. You need it to dry, not to just harden.

If it's straight fondant, it won't dry in a day. It takes many days for straight fondant to dry hard. If you have tylose, gum tex (by Wilton), or CMC, you can knead some of that into the fondant--1/2 tsp./lb. for Wilton or 1 tsp./lb. for other brands/MMF--and then put the strips on a baking sheet in an oven set on low (under 180 degrees) or with just the light on and the door closed. With the temp up, it well take about an hour to dry, with the light, it will take overnight. You can also use a dehydrator for the job.

If you don't have the above mentioned ingredients, you can use DRY Fixodent powder.

You CANNOT put straight fondant in the oven--it will melt.

HTH
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%