..your Rant For Today, Here's Mine :)

Decorating By neelycharmed Updated 29 Dec 2010 , 7:17pm by cakelady2266

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 2:31pm
post #1 of 31

... Why is that hardly anyone shows up on time to pick up their cake???
She's 1 hour late, last weekend I had someone show up 3hours late!!!

I mean if I had an appointment at the hair salon, I wouldn't show up 2 hours late and expect my hair to get done, or if I had a dr. appt.. I wouldn't be able to see them after 15min, let alone 1 hour!

BUT, when it comes to cakes, our time isn't that important..
Heaven forbid we leave and they not get their cake because we then ruin their kids birthday and will be scarred for life icon_lol.gif

...and I'm done!!

Anybody else need to get any off their chest?????
thanks!
Jodi

30 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 2:36pm
post #2 of 31

Haha! I might later. I have to deliver a cake to a restaurant this morning. The bride warned me that when she told their "award winning pastry chef" that she wasn't getting her cake from him, he emailed her telling her she was stupid to go with someone else, and that the cake would obviously be a disaster if he didn't make it. She warned me that he might try to give me an attitude when I delivered it, so I'm ready! icon_twisted.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 3:18pm
post #3 of 31

Oh I can't wait to hear this one costume.

Auntie_RaRa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auntie_RaRa Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 3:27pm
post #4 of 31

After 1 or 2 times of this I changed my tactic. I give my clients a timeframe and tell them I will be leaving at such and such a time to set up wedding cakes and not sure when I will return. I've never had someone to show up late for picking up their cake!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 3:32pm
post #5 of 31

Yes, like, "Do you want to pick up your cake at noon or at 6 PM because I plan my day/life around these pick up times."

neelycharmed Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 3:39pm
post #6 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Haha! I might later. I have to deliver a cake to a restaurant this morning. The bride warned me that when she told their "award winning pastry chef" that she wasn't getting her cake from him, he emailed her telling her she was stupid to go with someone else, and that the cake would obviously be a disaster if he didn't make it. She warned me that he might try to give me an attitude when I delivered it, so I'm ready! icon_twisted.gif

Can't wait to hear how this went icon_smile.gif
Jodi

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 3:46pm
post #7 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by neelycharmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Can't wait to hear how this went icon_smile.gif
Jodi

me, too!!!!!!!

neelycharmed Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 4:04pm
post #8 of 31

Update,
She just showed up.. never said sorry for being late or anything.... thumbsdown.gif
There goes 3 hours of my life I will never get back, icon_rolleyes.gif
Oh well, I did get my laundry done, and made 2 batches of snickerdoodles while I was waiting...
Jodi

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 4:04pm
post #9 of 31

yes, you should always give a time frame when they can pick up the cake. "I will be home and available for cake pick up from X-X on such and such a day" I don't ever feel the need to give a reason. What business is it of theirs what you have to do? I mean, when you call to set up an appt to go get your hair cut does your stylist say, well I can fit you in at either X or X because after that I have to take my kids to soccer, then go to the grocery store to pick up something for dinner, swing by the library, then hit the movie store .. No, it is I have X or X available, what will it be?

Auntie_RaRa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auntie_RaRa Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 4:52pm
post #10 of 31

Glad your client picked up her cake. Even when I would give set times, some people think all you have to do is sit at home and nothing else to do. At least call me to let me know you're running late. So sad she offered no apology. No need to go into detail about my schedule with clients, but the point I want to get to them is that I won't be home waiting for them to get their cake. They get it loud and clear thumbs_up.gif

neelycharmed Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 5:11pm
post #11 of 31

I always give a time frame on when to pick up a cake (especially on a Saturday) but I don't think they really care, as long as they got their castle, or peace sign (or whatever it is at the moment)..
I think after Christmas break, there will be some new ordering/pick up methods put in place... thumbs_up.gif
Jodi

sweetreasures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetreasures Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 6:06pm
post #12 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie_RaRa

Glad your client picked up her cake. Even when I would give set times, some people think all you have to do is sit at home and nothing else to do.

As a SSAHM daycare provider I don't have a life, but on the rare occasions that something is planned like going out to dinner on my birthday, people are late without a phone call every single time. Not just a few minutes but hours. icon_mad.gif I have one family who is pretty consistent (however they were the ones late on my birthday) and for the past year has started to mixed it up by randomly coming 30 - 45 minutes early in the morning - cuts into my morning alone time - or a couple hours later with pickup time being up to 3 hours longer than what I had been used to for years. Would like to know if I need to fix your kid dinner because if I did, you'd probably show up when they were about to eat. But hey - Ill be at home anyway .... all day long.

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 6:44pm
post #13 of 31

I work at a Mental Health agency, and on weekdays, they have a choice of picking up their cake before 9AM or I can take their cake into work with me and they can pick it up there. Some of the snootier folks (the one's who are usually late..) really balk at the idea of being seen walking into the "local looney clinic" as we live in a small town and word might spread, lol. They are always early or right on time icon_lol.gif
One thing that helps is to contact people the day before to confirm the pick up time. Sometimes it's hard to remember exactly when you said you would pick something up when it was arranged a few weeks prior.

reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 7:02pm
post #14 of 31

I always give a time frame as well but no one really sticks to it. I am still waiting for someone to pick their cake up and they are now 1 hour late.

AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 7:31pm
post #15 of 31

People asssume that when you work out of your home that you are just sitting around and it doesn't matter when they show. I get late pick ups & consults all the time, to the point that I've given up and just plan on everyone being an hour late anymore. No one seems to respect my time... god forbid if I am late with a delivery though!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 7:46pm
post #16 of 31

you guys need a "closed" sign! icon_eek.gif

My shop hours were 'whatever I wanted them to be'. Had a bride coming to get her one year anniversary tier. Told her I'd be there until 5. She showed up at 5:20 and I wasn't there. She called. Sorry, I'm at my daughter's babysitting my grandchildren and I can't leave ... which is why I HAD to leave right at 5. She didnt' get her cake. (I sold it to someone else and made her another one the next weekend, when she arrived right on time to get it!)

You CAN do the same thing at home. Put a note on the door that says, "Dear cake customer: Sorry you missed your pick up appointment. I waited for an add'l 30 minutes but had to leave for other obligations and will be back at 9:30 p.m. Give me a call if you want to pick it up between 9:30 and 10 tonight or if you want to pick it up tomorrow morning between 8:30 and 9."

They'll learn. icon_twisted.gif

P.S. It is only fair, of course, to tell them in advance (and I prefer IN WRITING) that "your pick up window is between 9 and 10 a.m. I will be gone after 10, so please be aware if you aren't there by 10, you won't have a cake."

I had similar wording on my consultation confirmation email ..... "Please call ifyou're running late. At 15 minutes past the appt time, I consider you a no-show and I go home."

costumeczar Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 9:52pm
post #17 of 31

I like the idea of having them have to come to someplace other than your house to get the cake if they're too good to come in your timeframe. I'd suggest taking it to the local STD clinic and making them pick it up there, hahahaha!

My delivery went fine, the guy wasn't there until the very end. I went in and the coordinator I had spoken to to arrange a delivery time was there, and when I had set the cake up she said "Sandy will be cutting the cake". Turns out Sandy is someone I know from another venue, and she likes my cakes, so she was all excited to see me. She said "You're my favorite baker" really loud, and the guy was in the room at that point, so I know he heard her. As I was leaving I saw him ordering her around and telling her how to set the plates out for when she cuts the cake, so I hope he doesn't give her an attitude.

I looked the guy up, and it turns out that he does have a stellar background in terms of pastry, but the review of his restaurant said that the tiramisu was dry, and that the apples in his turnovers were out of a can, which he says that he prefers over fresh. Considering that apples are one of Virginia's major crops, that didn't sit well with the food reviewer. I told my husband that I had a comment ready for him if he gave me any trouble, which was that I was so happy to have someone to refer people to in case I was booked. That would have chapped him, heh heh heh!

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 10:44pm
post #18 of 31

The too annoys me to NO END, I constantly have people LATE. I would say at least 90% of people come late. I now give them a 2-3 hour window in the morning only and tell them that I will not be here after that time. I also give them in the contract that they sign that if they are more than 30 minutes late with NO call that they may have a late charge added on. Although this still hasn't eliminated the latenes....which I just don't get it. Although I am never late, lateness is one of my biggest PEEVES!!! Just get your a$$ up and going and be here for your friggin cake people. I agree I think they think that we have nothing better to do than bake and sit around and wait on them. I had a friend that I went to school with recently come over 2 hours late, and he said oh, I thought you would be busy in the kitchen all day didn't think it was a big deal, umm thanks for wasting half my day! ERRR...I don't know that there is any solution for this, other than what debby suggested..not be there, and that will teach them a lesson.

costumeczar Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 11:16pm
post #19 of 31

Just tell them that you need to leave to go somewhere at whatever time you want, and tell them that if they don't pick up the cake before then you'll assume they don't need it. I have to add to get payment in full before you make the cake if you plan on doing this. Just make sure that you actually do leave when you said that you needed to.

neelycharmed Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 12:54am
post #20 of 31

In the last 6 months, I can count on 1 hand on how many people called and told me they are going to be late... and actually I would still have a few fingers left over!!! icon_lol.gif

I know it drives my DH crazy (especially when its on the weekend), so I should take Debi's advice (might teach them a lesson that I'm serious)...
Thanks for all the comments/rants with me thumbs_up.gif
Jodi

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 10:15am
post #21 of 31

By working in-home, you come up against their subconscious "domestic servant" mentality which says that you are at home, awaiting their pleasure ..

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 12:37pm
post #22 of 31

I've had that problem too. I work out of a by-appt-only commercial kitchen, so when I'm done, I want to go home. It never fails that if I tell them to pick up between 9am and 11am, they will be there at 10:55, even though i had the cake ready since 9am. So...I've started giving them a 30 minute window. Still they show up toward the end of that time, but it beats waiting around 2 hrs.

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 2:01pm
post #23 of 31

I don't do very many pick ups anymore, as most of my sales are wedding cakes that I deliver and setup. When I do have pick ups I always setup a 30 minute pickup window and tell the customer up front that I may not be there after that 30 minute time frame. Still, it always seems that I have someone show up 30 mins early and one 30 mins late (which means they both show up at the same time!) If a customer is 15 mins late, I call them and remind them of their pick up time.

Speaking of rants, I had a bride yesterday give me the wrong venue to deliver a cake. I sat there for an hour before I happened to think that there was another "freight depot" on the next town over. Looked up the number on my iPhone and sure enough, I got "Yes the X wedding is here today - everyone is waiting on you!" I checked the contract and sure enough, I went to the venue listed on the contract. The sad part is that all the guests will never know that I didn't make the mistake!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 5:21pm
post #24 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by auzzi

By working in-home, you come up against their subconscious "domestic servant" mentality which says that you are at home, awaiting their pleasure ..

Very well said.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 9:08pm
post #25 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupadeecakes

I checked the contract and sure enough, I went to the venue listed on the contract. The sad part is that all the guests will never know that I didn't make the mistake!

Similar thing here. Catering for an organization. My arrival time was 5:30, to serve at 6:30. I get there a little early ... about 5:15.
The guy says, "Omg you're finally here!"
I said, "Actually I'm about 15 minutes early."
He said, "But we're eatring at 5:30!"
I said, "My paperwork says you're eating at 6:30."

THEN he says that they moved the eating time up an hour! I said, "Well, darlin' if you do that, then its usually a good idea to tell the person who's bringing the food! Tell everyone I'll have this set up as soon as I can and that you forgot to tell me about the time change."

Dumba$$.

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 11:42pm
post #26 of 31

I don't know what chaps my butt more....when they show up 3 or 4 hours late without calling or 3 or 4 hours early without calling. Oh, or the folks that just show up without calling to pick out a cake for the birthday.....in 2 months.

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 9:04pm
post #27 of 31

the public thinks of it more of a window of time like a cable-guy vs. an appt. like at a dr.s office. They also will assume you'll be there all day anyway during normal hours.

Debi's right...if you want them to understand their obligation to be on time you have to be up front. Even if you will be home all day say you can only allow pick ups during this certain time and any time after that your kids could be napping, etc. so you wont be able to answer the door. Also mention you have to be in and out all day if you do so if they miss you it's their fault. So sorry, if you emphasize that you have a life they'll get it...hopefully!

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 9:33pm
post #28 of 31

This also happens not just with you home bakers. I have an appointment only cake studio and people are always late. I give them 30 minutes past the time and then I leave. I am paid in full ahead of time, so no worries for me. It also happens when I deliver, I always call and confirm time the night before, but I can't tell you how often I get there and no one is there. Burns me up.

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 7:02pm
post #29 of 31

My shop is appointment only, but since I started my website I have folks just dropping in. And have you ever noticed that when you deliver a wedding cake with a balance due there never seems to be anyone around? Funny how that happens. I have a newer policy now that says ---- NO cake will be delivered without being paid in full 2 weeks prior to the event. They better take me serious.

costumeczar Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 7:09pm
post #30 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakelady2266

My shop is appointment only, but since I started my website I have folks just dropping in. And have you ever noticed that when you deliver a wedding cake with a balance due there never seems to be anyone around? Funny how that happens. I have a newer policy now that says ---- NO cake will be delivered without being paid in full 2 weeks prior to the event. They better take me serious.

I've had to call people and leave messages before when they didn't pay in time. I find that emails and calls that say "According to the contract that you signed, there won't be a cake if I don't have payment in full and in cash by the end of the day" tend to light a fire under them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%