How To Do Velvet Look?

Decorating By cupcakeluv Updated 15 Dec 2010 , 5:11pm by cupcakeluv

cupcakeluv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeluv Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 9:24am
post #1 of 14

Dear cake fellows,
I am making cupcakes to surpirize my collegues. For toppers I would like to make some fondant flowers that have a velvety look. Anyone have an idea of how to do so?

13 replies
cupcakeluv Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 8:10am
post #2 of 14

anyone? icon_cry.gif

teresa13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teresa13 Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 9:13am
post #3 of 14

Very good question. I want to know too!! icon_wink.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 9:18am
post #4 of 14

Not really seen it done. A fairly thick coating of petal dust can look sort of velvety, but at steaming it would change the look, you would run the risk of coloured fingers and dust falling onto the icing.
xx

cupcakeluv Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 7:08am
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by brincess_b

Not really seen it done. A fairly thick coating of petal dust can look sort of velvety, but at steaming it would change the look, you would run the risk of coloured fingers and dust falling onto the icing.
xx

yes , i have thought of that. But you as say, it wouldnt work.
thx for replying thoug.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 1:34pm
post #6 of 14

I would use a clean brand new green scrub pad and after you've rolled your fondant and it's still soft, just dab around on the fondant to lightly make the impression.

cupcakeluv Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 3:47pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by aligotmatt

I would use a clean brand new green scrub pad and after you've rolled your fondant and it's still soft, just dab around on the fondant to lightly make the impression.

I am sorry I dont understand, is scrub pad a sponge with a scrub side?

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 4:36pm
post #8 of 14

Yes, they have the sponge with the green (or blue sometimes) scrub on the other side, you can just use the scrub side. They also sell them just plan scrub pads. Make sure to read the packages and don't get one that has a cleaning agent already in the pad. But dab that course side onto the fondant.

stampinron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stampinron Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 3:54am
post #9 of 14

Maybe flock it with dried, crushed RI?

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 4:12pm
post #10 of 14

The best effect I've seen is to use a spray gun, not an air brush, and put melted chocolate in there. Spraying that gives a nice velvet effect.

cupcakeluv Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 8:28am
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchockeyguy

The best effect I've seen is to use a spray gun, not an air brush, and put melted chocolate in there. Spraying that gives a nice velvet effect.

So i make the flowers and then spray them with melted choclate? what to use to spray if not airbrush gun? thanx in advance for help.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 2:08pm
post #12 of 14

I have seen this done with a paint sprayer. You can find that at any hardware store. icon_smile.gif

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 2:26pm
post #13 of 14

I do this all the time with my roses. It works especially well with dark red ones...

First make your flowers using a medium tone of the color you're going for. Then dust them with a slightly darker tone of that same color. Then steam them. Wait until they dry completely, then dust them again, very randomly and lightly with a slightly lighter tone of the color you're using. This time dab the dust on with a makeup brush, don't brush it on. Do not steam this final dusting.

Note...the light, med and darker tones should not be too different at all. You want this to be subtle.

cupcakeluv Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 5:11pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

I do this all the time with my roses. It works especially well with dark red ones...

First make your flowers using a medium tone of the color you're going for. Then dust them with a slightly darker tone of that same color. Then steam them. Wait until they dry completely, then dust them again, very randomly and lightly with a slightly lighter tone of the color you're using. This time dab the dust on with a makeup brush, don't brush it on. Do not steam this final dusting.

Note...the light, med and darker tones should not be too different at all. You want this to be subtle.

thx, do you have any pics of your roses?

@karen421: thankyou

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%