"using" A Commercial Kitchen

Business By jwhite0826 Updated 11 Dec 2010 , 5:33am by jason_kraft

jwhite0826 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jwhite0826 Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 12:06am
post #1 of 3

So I currently work in a local high school cafeteria. I looked into renting this kitchen after hours to do my cakes. The kitchen is already up to date on all inspections, so my question is...if I do cakes to sell, do I (myself, personally) have to be licensed to make cakes? The kitchen is certified, after all, its for a school.

The idea is,I'll be on the clock getting paid to make cakes or other desserts (small, sample sizes to start out) and sell them to teachers, staff or students during school hours. The money made from the cakes would go to the kitchen as a normal kitchen sale. Meanwhile, I put my order forms with it to gain customers for events outside of school. Any cakes I do that are ordered, the profit goes to me. So i'd still need to be certified? Or what do I need to do to legally profit from my cakes?

Sorry in advance if I confused you. Still trying to think through the details. Any advice? Thoughts? Opinions? Criticism?

2 replies
Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 12:36am
post #2 of 3

Okay, I'm easily confused, but what I get out of this question is, can you sell cakes without a business license? Is that it?
You are already working in a school cafeteria, so you must have the proper food handling permit/license, right? To sell your own cake, running a business, I think you need a business license - you are going to be doing this all on the books, paying your taxes, etc. Different states and even different counties in the same state handle things differently - where are you located?

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 5:33am
post #3 of 3

If you sell the cakes as a separate entity from the school, you will need a separate business license and a separate inspection certificate in most areas.

You would need to carefully segregate your ingredients and equipment from the stuff you use when you're on-the-clock. You would also need to draft a written agreement with the school, and you will need to take out your own liability insurance policy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%