Wedding Cake Order For Icing Cupcakes Only

Baking By cowie Updated 11 Jan 2011 , 6:04pm by simplysouthern

cowie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowie Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 3:03pm
post #1 of 8

Hello,
I have two questions:
1. - I have been asked to ice 150 cupcakes for a wedding only. The bride wants to bake her own cupcakes (family receipe) and is making little chocolate flowers to sit on top of the cupcakes. Would you ice them only? Do people actually do this?

2. - The cupcakes are to be iced with a drop circle. Using tip 1A and making one big circle of thick icing on top, then adding the chocolate topper. What would you charge per cupcake? The bride is dropping the cupcakes off and picking them up before the wedding.

Thanks for your help!

7 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 3:12pm
post #2 of 8

Hells to the no I wouldn't do it.

Overheard at reception, "Wow these cupcakes are dry. Who made them?"
"Well I heard it was the bride's family recipe, but they came from cowie. She really messed them up, didn't she?"

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 3:20pm
post #3 of 8

if they want your help, charge an hourly rate for teaching them how to ice a cupcake. They can do the decorations themselves then.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 3:28pm
post #4 of 8

Leah has a great answer for established businesses.

I would do it for $150 at the venue day of and if it was outside 10 miles away, $1 mile. I would stack 'em up for her too out of the goodness of my heart. And I'm saving her two trips.

But I don't have an official cake business--I have a great reputation and other than that I don't really care y'know. $150 plus milage wins. I know how to talk it up that she baked the cakes and I'm just a cog in the cake wheel.

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 5:43pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis

Leah has a great answer for established businesses.

I would do it for $150 at the venue day of and if it was outside 10 miles away, $1 mile. I would stack 'em up for her too out of the goodness of my heart. And I'm saving her two trips.

But I don't have an official cake business--I have a great reputation and other than that I don't really care y'know. $150 plus milage wins. I know how to talk it up that she baked the cakes and I'm just a cog in the cake wheel.

k8memphis, i like the cake thing your cake is sitting on in your avatiar , how is it made? sorry for jumping in icon_redface.gif

cowie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowie Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 5:42pm
post #6 of 8

I wanted to let everyone know what I decided. I let the lady know that I would do the cupcakes for her but that she needed to sign saying that I was only responsible for the icing that that the cupcakes and quality of them were her responsibility. Well guess what? She said that she didn't want to do that. So THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for giving me your input because goodness knows what mess I would have gotten myself into. I didn't stop to think about how it could affect my business if the cupcakes she made didn't taste good or heck even made someone sick. I am so glad I posted the question!
Thanks!

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 5:58pm
post #7 of 8

cowie,
glad you stood your ground! thumbs_up.gif
Jodi

simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 6:04pm
post #8 of 8

So smart to ask be to sign!! My my people amaze me!!! Seriously I'm still lmao that this lady could bakr them and decorate them but icing them....oh well that was juwt too much work?! Wth?! So glad you thought it out and that nothing bad ended up going down!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%