Would You Outsource The Baking To Someone Else?

Business By taria Updated 13 Dec 2010 , 9:12pm by cai0311

taria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taria Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 6:49pm
post #1 of 21

I bake cakes for friends and family, and I love, love, love the cake decorating part of any project. When people see my cakes they often ask me why I haven't gone into business for myself.

Here's the thing: going into business is not as simple as posting a "Cakes for Sale" sign in my living room window. People don't understand the true costs associated with operating a legal business (commercial insurance, rent, utilities, licensing costs, etc.). AND baking/decorating is a hobby for me...an outlet. I believe that if I baked for a living, I'd grow to hate it icon_redface.gif That's mostly because I only truly enjoy the cake decorating. I could seriously do without the baking thumbsdown.gif . So then I got to thinking: "Is there a way to get someone else to do the baking for me??"

If you could outsource a large part of your baking (to a legal commercial kitchen, of course), would you?

I know bakers outsource other parts of the cake (decorations), so why not the actual cake itself? When I do cakes for friends, they want cakes that taste great, no doubt, but what they're mostly looking for is that "WOW" factor.

Just curious as to how others feel about this.

20 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 6:53pm
post #2 of 21

Personally i probably wouldn't. If I did i would want my recipes used, not someone elses. So then i'd be getting into confindentiality agreements about my recipes, not being used for others, not sharing etc....

I would rather hire someone to work for me to do the baking instead of outsourcing it.

But there is a market for it.... lots of grocery stores and supercenter bakeries bring in cakes made elsewhere in mass production.

taria Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 7:04pm
post #3 of 21

I've thought about simply hiring someone to bake for me if I opened shop, but I'd still incur the costs of paying that employee and paying to produce the cake. I've also thought about how I'd get someone else to produce my recipes while still trying to keep them confident (shhh!). A commercial bakery benefits from economies of scale, and if outsourcing my baking were possible/beneficial, then I'd be able to cut some of my own costs (utilities, labor, capital).

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 7:15pm
post #4 of 21

No I wouldn't do it.
Either I do the whole thing - bake and decorate or not at all.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 7:24pm
post #5 of 21

You can buy in cakes - I know one well renowned site in the uk, the USA must have them aswell.
Who knows, ur local bakery might sell u undecorated cake (not likely tho, at least in the uk!) or maybe u can buy through walmart (taste sacrafice tho).
xx

taria Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 7:24pm
post #6 of 21

If I could walk into IndyDebi's cake shop and say "Er, Debi, lemme get 2-9" un-iced cake rounds" I probably would icon_biggrin.gif Then I'd go home and decorate the heck out of them!

Baking is not difficult, and I do get great reviews on my recipes. But when I have to do a cake, I wish I could just start at the crumb coat phase. I'm pretty sure I feel this way because I only do one cake at a time. If I had several orders, I'd be decorating one cake while one was in the oven and the other was cooling. Then, I wouldn't feel the downtime.

tigachu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigachu Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 7:33pm
post #7 of 21

Personally, I would not outsource the baking to anyone else. I would want complete control and responsibility for the complete project. I guess I am just weird like that icon_eek.gif

bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 7:35pm
post #8 of 21

Why not go get a job as cake decorator - then you'd be paid and probably make much more.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 9:33pm
post #9 of 21

There are bakeries that do just that, and there's really nothing wrong with it. Once you are in business there are some suppliers out there that sell uniced cakes in all sizes. If there weren't many places that do it, then there wouldn't be huge suppliers that offer the product.

Nothin' wrong with it, you just have to make sure the cakes you get in taste good.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 9:40pm
post #10 of 21

I love the baking part as much as the decorating. Not to fond of the cleaning though!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 9:46pm
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakingpw

Why not go get a job as cake decorator - then you'd be paid and probably make much more.

Perfect solution.

silverdragon997 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
silverdragon997 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 9:50pm
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen421

I love the baking part as much as the decorating. Not to fond of the cleaning though!

Same here! If I could hire anyone to do anything, it would be to clean up after me!

CakeDiva101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva101 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 10:25pm
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdragon997

Quote:

Same here! If I could hire anyone to do anything, it would be to clean up after me!

That is what I will ask Santa! Someone to clean my kitchen after I bake/decorate. ( but I know he will just laugh at me) thumbs_up.gif

silverdragon997 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
silverdragon997 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 10:30pm
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva101

Quote:

Quote:

That is what I will ask Santa! Someone to clean my kitchen after I bake/decorate. ( but I know he will just laugh at me) thumbs_up.gif

Maybe he'll send one of his elves. They should be slow enough after Christmas that he can spare one!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 12:08am
post #15 of 21

I wouldn't, but the fact that I do the baking is part of my marketing.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 1:12am
post #16 of 21
Quote:

Quote:

DITTO!! thumbs_up.gif

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 3:09am
post #17 of 21

I don't care for the baking part either. I was going to hire a baker, but with experience I have gotten so fast at baking, I doubt an employee would be cost effective. Now that I can do it so fast and efficiently I don't mind do it as much.

elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 3:24am
post #18 of 21

I wouldn't do it, but I'm kind of a control freak. Also, I want the cake to be as amazing as the decorating...not just a pre-baked cake that is probably quite ordinary. The subtlities of cake flavor and texture are as important to me as the exterior of the finished creation.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 3:37am
post #19 of 21

Not sure if this is what the OP is asking, but since the OP referenced the legalities .....

"Food Prep" is what is covered under health dept rules, not just "food cooking". So preparing icing and decorating a cake in your home kitchen would be just as illegal as baking the cake.

I know a cake supply shop who had to put in a legal kitchen space because she repackaged food (bought chocolate disks in 50 lb bags .... repackaged into 1 lb and 5 lb bags; bought vanilla is huge jugs .... repackaged into smaller bottles). No "cooking", no "baking", but it was food prep and food hanlding so she was required to have food safety equipment in place, such as 3-compartment sink, stainless steel counterspace, etc.

YummyTipsyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YummyTipsyCakes Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 12:48am
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

Personally i probably wouldn't. If I did i would want my recipes used, not someone elses. So then i'd be getting into confindentiality agreements about my recipes, not being used for others, not sharing etc....

I would rather hire someone to work for me to do the baking instead of outsourcing it.

But there is a market for it.... lots of grocery stores and supercenter bakeries bring in cakes made elsewhere in mass production.

Yes I'm a newbie and this is definitely my thought too. I make bundt liquor cakes doesn't require any decorating but I certainly wouldn't want to trust my recipes to a baker. Whose to say they wouldn't take off and start their own business with my recipes in tow.

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 9:12pm
post #21 of 21

I don't mind the baking but I would love to out source the cleaning!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%