Egg Whites Or Meringue Powder?

Lounge By IgemZ Updated 10 Dec 2010 , 12:31am by Awent9

IgemZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IgemZ Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 8:00am
post #1 of 5

I am planning on making RI snowflakes and I keep finding different recipes which is making this more confusing. I need to stop googling..lol icon_razz.gif

What is your opinion on the best RI to make. Is there anywhere I can just buy it locally lol. Kidding..sort of. No but seriously, what is best to use. Egg whites or merinque powder? Do you have a trusted recipe to share that would work for an idiot like me trying to make snowflakes?

icon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 8:25am
post #2 of 5

Here in Ontario Canada we have a place called Bulk Barn and you can purchase a package of RI mix, all you do is add water and flavoring if you want to jazz it up a little.

Not sure where your located but I am sure you can find this in a cake supply store near your home.

But if I were to make it from scratch again I would go with the merigue powder since it will give you a much better shelf life than using egg whites.

HTH

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 3:22pm
post #3 of 5

Since you aren't doing string work that needs to be super-strong, either should work fine.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 12:19am
post #4 of 5

One can buy dried pure egg whites in many grocery stores. It's called "Just Whites" OR Wilton has one - I can't think off hand what it's called.
Meringue powder is egg whites with stablizer, anti-caking agent, etc in it.
Either will work to make royal icing. It depends on what you are making out of the royal.
One can also use fresh egg white. Mostly fresh is used when super strong royal is needed - such as in Lambeth string work etc. Most of the time meringue powder works just fine and is not as expensive.

Awent9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Awent9 Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 12:31am
post #5 of 5

i prefer egg white ri

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%