Damask Design On Cake

Decorating By cakedaisy Updated 13 Dec 2010 , 9:15pm by metria

cakedaisy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedaisy Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 4:46am
post #1 of 19

What is the best way to do Damask on a fondant cake. I have a wedding cake coming up and they want Damask design on each layer. I have never done this. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

18 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 10:51am
post #2 of 19

I use cutters. Nice clean edges.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 12:00pm
post #3 of 19

I buy a craft stencil, (much cheaper than the cake stencil), put it on the area of the cake where you want the design and use RI with a palate knife to swipe across the stencil. HTH

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 1:03pm
post #4 of 19

I use the cricut. Much faster then cutting each one idividually and I can get the exact size I want. I know leah_s thinks it's a paper weight but I've had great success with it. If you use the right medium and proccess it correctly it works like a charm. The scroll border on my bumble bee cake was done with it if you'd like to take a look.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 1:37pm
post #5 of 19

I also use a stencil and royal icing. Clean and nice! Although the cutout idea is great if you want to do it on buttercream!

teatime423 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teatime423 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 11:26pm
post #6 of 19

It's actually pretty easy. I use the stencil and royal icing as well. Just make sure to secure the stencil on the cake so the icing won't seep through.

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 1:25pm
post #7 of 19

what cutters do you use leah?

cakesmart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmart Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 2:30pm
post #8 of 19

Agree with the stencil and royal icing...very easy to do.

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 5:03pm
post #9 of 19

Love the stencil and RI, i put the cake in the fridge to harden up the frosting a little then when you do the stencil it doesn't mess up the frosting.

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 5:46pm
post #10 of 19

Also, if you have never done it before and are going the royal icing/stencil route...practice, practice, practice. Its not something I would try for the first time with someone's wedding cake!

Good Luck!

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 6:31pm
post #11 of 19

I agree with the majority....stencil with royal on fondant, although you could use buttercream. There is a black/white cake in my pics that is buttercream stencil on buttercream cake! In my experience it's MUCH easier to stencil onto fondant! Practice and you will find you can achieve a beautiful look relatively quickly with no need for a Cricut or cutters...although I'm a fan of both!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 6:39pm
post #12 of 19

I have zillions of cutters. The Brandenburg Lace set is a good basic set, plus a leaf set. I've tried the stencil thing, and on a square cake, I can see it working. Oe a round cake, much more difficult. Also I generally don't like designs where I have to get it perfect the first time.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 7:26pm
post #13 of 19

Jennifer Dontz ( www.sugardelites.com) has several sets of cutters that work well for a damask design.

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 5:05am
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I have zillions of cutters. The Brandenburg Lace set is a good basic set, plus a leaf set. I've tried the stencil thing, and on a square cake, I can see it working. Oe a round cake, much more difficult. Also I generally don't like designs where I have to get it perfect the first time.

Yes, I also have The Brandenburg Lace set...that's a good one....and you can't go wrong with any Stephen Bennison cutters, but they're expensive.

Heather1172 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heather1172 Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 6:02pm
post #15 of 19

Ok yall I have really been wanting to try a black and white cake with the demask stencil...what is the difference between BC and RI??? I have been cheating with my icing, I buy it from Sam's in the big 5 gallon bucket and depending on the stiffness I need I just add powdered sugar to it. This may seem like a silly question, but I really don't know the difference.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 6:31pm
post #16 of 19

leah_s, YIKES! I just googled the Brandenburg lace set, $70. (here's the link:
http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=21266&name=Brandenburg%20Lace%20Cutter%20Set).

So, Leah, you don't stencil, you roll fondant really thin and use the cutters?? Am I understanding this correctly?

MartiW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MartiW Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 7:31pm
post #17 of 19

You would think as popular as this design is, someone would make a nice set of cutters.

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 9:05pm
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Leah,
Where did you buy your Brandenburg Lace set from?

-Debbie B.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 9:15pm
post #19 of 19

i have yet to try damask with stencil, but will soon. i saw at a DOS that the demonstrator used stiff RI. what consistency do yall use?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%