Making Ornaments Out Of Cake Balls

Decorating By goeasycakes Updated 11 Dec 2010 , 10:53am by bakingatthebeach

goeasycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goeasycakes Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 4:02am
post #1 of 4

I've seen some photo's of really cute holiday ornaments made out of cupcakes. I was wondering if I could just make a rather large cake ball, then cover that with fondant and decorate? Would the cake ball be too squishy to turn in to an ornament?

Thanks for any suggestions!

3 replies
bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 1:32pm
post #2 of 4

I just made some (in my pics), you take the mini ball pan, and take two halves and put them together with icing, then ice the ball (i pop it in the freezer prior to icing to make it easier to handle), then when the frosting crusts a little, I used a viva paper towel to smooth, covered with fondant, trimmed the fondant and tucked the trimmed edges under the bottom of the ball. Then make the little hook thingys out of fondant. Used my airbrush to color. Its pretty easy to do.

goeasycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goeasycakes Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 7:55pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks! The reason I was thinking of doing cake balls is b/c I can't find the mini ball pan at Hobby Lobby or Michaels and as usual, I didn't plan ahead of time so I don't have time to order online.

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 10:53am
post #4 of 4

I got my mini ball pan at amazon and got it in a few days if that helps! I misunderstood you lol, I thought you were talking about the ornaments!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%