Almost Dying In Tampa, Fl!!!!!!

Decorating By preciosa225 Updated 9 Dec 2010 , 7:24pm by sweetmonkeycheese

preciosa225 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
preciosa225 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 3:54am
post #1 of 10

OMG!! I just moved to Tampa, FL this past July and I am DYING so to speak. There is nothing cake here!! I've moved from NYC where there is quite an abundance of supplies stores, events, meetups, and classes, but despite my efforts, I have not been able to find ANYTHING cake here in Tampa with the exception of Cakes Plus (which does not have very much), Michael's and Joann's. I have also visited D&G Occasions in Orlando, which is very similar to the supplies stores in NY but about 1 1/2 hour drive from where I am located so it's not worth it for me.

Can anyone please tell me of anything cake other than these things I have mentioned close to Tampa?

TIA!! icon_cry.gif

9 replies
donnlara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnlara Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 4:18am
post #2 of 10

Same situation where I live...I feel your frustration! We have a Michael's 20 minutes down the hill with a very small cake section, but that's about it...so I really have to plan ahead, lots of Global Sugar Art online ordering. I have the timing of their shipments down pat so I know how close I can cut it with last minute cake orders.

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 4:23am
post #3 of 10

well I was feeling a little sorry for myself but not anymore! thanks for the perspective.
I used to live 5 minutes from an awesome mom & pop cake store that has nearly everything I need for cake decorating & we moved about 30 minutes away. I still go there when I need supplies but have to plan & work it into my work schedule. otherwise it's just Michael's which has only very limited supply.
of course we all have online stores but downside is the time it takes to get the goods & shipping charges

jo3d33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo3d33 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 4:46am
post #4 of 10

I live in a pretty rual area. My nearest "cake store" is about an hour away. I can get to Michaels in about 40 but when I need the real stuff I'm in for a 2 drive round trip. My Daughter who is 5 still gets car sick so those trips are always fun.

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 4:50am
post #5 of 10

I too live about an hour away from a Michael's and it has a very limited selection and I've yet to order anything online but am so tempted!

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 4:57am
post #6 of 10

All of you are lucky! I live in Wyoming! Heck, the closest Wal-Mart is 60 miles away. There is no cake supply store anywhere in this state! (in fact there's just a lot of nothing around here...) I have to order just about all my cake suplies from the internet. I mostly use Sugarcraft for supplies.

Erin3085 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erin3085 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 12:48pm
post #7 of 10

I live in Lake Wales (about 20 miles south of I-4 at the Haines City exit) and my closest cake anything place is Michaels on I-4 and 27, which takes me about 40 minutes to get to because of traffic in Haines City! So many red lights! lol. I've never heard of the store in Orlando. That's about an hours drive for me. I do a lot of shopping at the outlets near Millenia so I could hack that! icon_biggrin.gif

preciosa225 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
preciosa225 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 1:05pm
post #8 of 10

Yes, I understand how you all feel. If I could move back to NYC I would. That is the place for caking!!! Seriously. I had to move here to the middle of nowhere, Tampa, FL because my dad needs a kidney transplant and he has a better chance of getting one here. So my husband got a job transfer and here we are. But I feel like, "Have these ppl even heard of the popularity of my hobby???" I joined a new meetup where one lady actually wrote something along the lines of, "I've always liked the cake decorating craft but let's face it, you will not be seeing cakes on the cover of any magazines anytime soon." I was like icon_surprised.gif!!!! LOL

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent and if anyone out there knows of anything cake happening in my neck of the woods, please do post, pm, email...whatever is easiest! LOL

Ednarooni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ednarooni Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 7:20pm
post #9 of 10

I "WISH" I had a store even 1 1/2 hours from here...lol There are no cake stores here except for Michaels and Joanns...arg...

sweetmonkeycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmonkeycheese Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 7:24pm
post #10 of 10

I am here in Tampa w/ ya and yep, the best I have found was Cakes Plus.....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%