How Do I Make The "top" To A "box"?

Decorating By IgemZ Updated 10 Dec 2010 , 11:27pm by madgeowens

IgemZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IgemZ Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 3:30am
post #1 of 23

I am making two square cakes as gift boxes one rum one chocolate covered in MMF with bows on top. I need to fiqure out how to make the top look like there is a top to box. I have to let you know I have no special equipment.

22 replies
raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 4:06am
post #2 of 23

This tutorial may help you, it's for a bc box cake but it would give you the "base to cover... I've done it in the bc and it worked perfectly. If it works I will attach pics, if you don't see any pics it didn't want to work... but the tutorial is great.
http://www.make-fabulous-cakes.com/gift-box-cake-tutorial.html

cupcakers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakers Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 4:22am
post #3 of 23

I HAVE MADE BOX TOPS FROM STYROFOAM AND JUST SAT THEM ON TOP OF THE CAKE ALSO

honuwebd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honuwebd Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 4:26am
post #4 of 23

We've used sturdy cardboard or foam board as well. I agree with cupcakers with the styrofoam. But if you want it a bit "thinner" i would use foam board.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 4:36am
post #5 of 23

If you simply put a thick band of fondant all around the top edge, it would look like a top also...easy, like this, except square of course
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1562673

IgemZ Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 6:50am
post #6 of 23

Thanks for the tutorial. Going to watch it now. Goodluck with yours. Send me a pic of it if anything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

If you simply put a thick band of fondant all around the top edge, it would look like a top also...easy, like this, except square of course
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1562673

I though of this but I am scared it will slide off... How can I secure it?
I wanted the whole cake to be edible so that is why I didn't want to go with anything else.

Thanks again everyone!

honuwebd Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 6:52am
post #7 of 23

Royal Icing, piping gel, etc
RI is probably your best bet and will dry the quickest

IgemZ Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 7:35am
post #8 of 23

I see. Btw I love this site. You guys are so helpful. You have no idea how many times I got overwhelmed and wanted to back out of this "project".
Do you think cutting a strip and placing it around the top to form a ledge would work? Right over the crumb coat. Would it need RI underneath? I guess I would then cover it with MMF and make edges to form a little ledge to make it look like there is a top..

Or would putting a short layer over the whole top and then having it stop two inches or so down the side hold up better, then that covered with MMF?

honuwebd Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 3:12pm
post #9 of 23

How about covering the entire "box" with MMF like you had originally planned. Then when you go to place the details on the cake, bow, things like that, place the strip around the top like in the image above. If you can get it tight enough to the previous MMF layer, it will look very nice and can even give a two-tone look to the box, which I love.
You don't need RI there, but I would suggest it just in case.

madgeowens Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 1:16am
post #10 of 23

you can attach the band with water(tiny bit on brush) or with piping gel I also use tiny brush

honuwebd Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 1:18am
post #11 of 23

Just like madgeowens said. My favorite is still RI, not sure why but it's simple to make and we always have to make it anyways, so ... haha
But yeah, piping gel, water or RI will work. Water is easiest if you don't wanna make anything or buy piping gel.
Just make sure not to put too much so it slips off.

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 1:26am
post #12 of 23

great info, thanks to everyone icon_smile.gif
Jodi

Buttercream_warrior Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Buttercream_warrior Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 1:28am
post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by raquel1

This tutorial may help you, it's for a bc box cake but it would give you the "base to cover... I've done it in the bc and it worked perfectly. If it works I will attach pics, if you don't see any pics it didn't want to work... but the tutorial is great.
http://www.make-fabulous-cakes.com/gift-box-cake-tutorial.html

i tried this and loved it..i cut a peice of card from cardstock and waited for my buttercream to crust..i used all buttercream and only fondant for the ribbons and bow! thanks for this!

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 1:29am
post #14 of 23

I just used a rectangular piece of cake cardboard and covered it with gumpaste. I made the gumpaste overhang the edges and let the whole thing dry on a couple of drinking glasses. Here is my cake:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1719442

madgeowens Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 1:47am
post #15 of 23

Nice cathy....you just covered the cardboard with gumpaste and let it over hang an inch or so....can you use fondant/gumpaste do you think...or will it not harden?

jade8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jade8 Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 2:03am
post #16 of 23

sugarshack gives directions on how to do the top in fondant. sorry i cant figure out how to add an attachment. search her pink cake boxes and scroll through the comments.

lyndim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndim Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 2:12am
post #17 of 23

Great tips!

madgeowens Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 2:15am
post #18 of 23

I have sugarshacks dvds and she does her tops out of gumpaste....I have not had the time needed for them to dry, to try that yet

it may be fondant with tylose powder too...havent watched it lately

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 5:04am
post #19 of 23

I do them with both icon_smile.gif

madgeowens Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 5:21am
post #20 of 23

ah.............thanks for clearing that up icon_smile.gif

Bubbl3h3ad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bubbl3h3ad Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 6:17am
post #21 of 23

I just made a gift box, I don't know if this is what you are looking for but I'll tell you how I did it. I covered the cake in fondant for the "box". Then I rolled out a piece of black fondant for the top of the lid. I covered the cake with plastic wrap so when I laid he black fondant down it would not adhere. Then I cut around the fondant with scissors leaving just a little bit hanging over the edges. Then I rolled out a strip of black fondant about 1 inch wide. I brushed it with water and put it on top of the little bit that I had left hanging over the top of the box. Here is what it looks like:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1888654

I also have a shoebox in my pictures. I used foamboard to do that one.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 2:58pm
post #22 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

Nice cathy....you just covered the cardboard with gumpaste and let it over hang an inch or so....can you use fondant/gumpaste do you think...or will it not harden?

I would be afraid that it wouldn't get hard enough if it wasn't pure gumpaste. My box lid sat on its edges so it had to be rock hard. I'd be afraid that fondant/gumpaste would give too much.

madgeowens Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 11:27pm
post #23 of 23

Yes thats true, I thought about that right after I posted lol...thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%