Nickel Plated Piping Tips Or Stainless Steel?

Lounge By Perpz Updated 9 Dec 2010 , 7:36pm by Perpz

Perpz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Perpz Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 10:04pm
post #1 of 6

I was wondering if someone could help me figure out which brand of piping tips should I buy? Fat daddios has the stainless steel finish of the piping tips and Wilton I think has the Nickel-plated one if I'm not mistaken.

Should I but the Wilton one or the Fat Daddios?

Thank you!

5 replies
Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 10:22pm
post #2 of 6

Maybe this thread can help you decide:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-637110-nickel.html

Sorry, I don't know about the Fat Daddios tips, but Ateco's site says they are ss and Wilton's site says metal (could be nickel-plated aluminum.) SS doesn't need nickel plating, because it's the nickel content in the metal that makes it stainless steel.

drummerg68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drummerg68 Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 10:59pm
post #3 of 6

Wilton's Tips Rust!

osman1989 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
osman1989 Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 11:15pm
post #4 of 6

All the tips will eventually rust if you don't take care of them. Wilton's are nickel plated, I believe they are copper underneath. I know this because I forgot to get all the royal icing out of one, it dried up and the nickel plating come off once I scraped it out. I heard the Ateco's rust too but haven't tried them yet. It just depends on how much of an investment you want to make on tips. I know the Wilton ones range from $.99 to $2.39 per their website.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 3:21pm
post #5 of 6

Wilton's tips should never rust under ordinary use. They will discolor (and could have a rust color) but it isn't rust. If you leave them soaking in water for long periods, or use dish washer detergients that have lemon/citrus in them they can discolor. Wilton also suggests not using vinager on them as it could damage the finish.

If the tip does rust, has rust or rust powder that rubs off, then I would contact Witlon.

Perpz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Perpz Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 7:36pm
post #6 of 6

thank you! The reason for this is I have a 40% coupon from Michaels which I am planning to buy the 57 pcs Piping tip set.which would probably go down to around $55-$60. then I saw the website I always order my stuff
http://www.goldaskitchen.com/index.ihtml and they have Fat Daddios brand Stainless Steel for $56. I wasn't sure which one to buy icon_smile.gif

thank everyone! I love CC!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%