Do You "allow" Other Cakes Along With Yours?

Business By mom2spunkynbug Updated 10 Dec 2010 , 3:17am by jenmat

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 6:59pm
post #1 of 9

I know a lot of you guys don't want others' cakes along with yours at events. How do you write this in your contract and/or tell your customers?

8 replies
cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 8:34pm
post #2 of 9

14.  NO cake from another vendor is permitted to be served at an event where a cake from Creative Cakes by Cathy is served. This to protect my reputation. I do not know the quality of the other vendors cake, and cannot risk being mistaken as the creator of the other cake(s). It is also a liability issue, as it is not possible to know the sanitary conditions in which other cakes are made. Violation of this policy could mean forfeiture of your Creative Cakes by Cathy cake and all monies paid with no compensation to the purchaser.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 8:43pm
post #3 of 9

I dug up this thread a couple days ago. It is a good one with lots of examples in contract wording, and views from both sides. I hope this link works!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=200221&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 9:00pm
post #4 of 9

There is also this thread:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-695489-sole.html+source+requirement

I will say though that this particular thread starting getting a little nuts since people were getting all up in arms about whether or not the clause is actually enforceable. icon_rolleyes.gif

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 10:40pm
post #5 of 9

If you do have this clause in your contract, make sure to allow for exceptions in the case of food allergies (unless you are willing to accommodate the allergies yourself).

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 10:43pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

I will say though that this particular thread starting getting a little nuts since people were getting all up in arms about whether or not the clause is actually enforceable.

Of course the clause is enforceable, but if you do enforce it you would probably end up torching your own reputation. It's a decent bluff though.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 6:27pm
post #7 of 9

it's so common here for the groom's cake to be brought in by someone else that I don't even usually worry about it. The only time it really became an option was when a couple discussed getting a smaller wedding cake and getting sheet cakes from Sam's. I did have an issue with that. But if someone is bringing a groom's cake, no big deal. I do just groom's cakes sometimes, sometimes just wedding cakes, and sometimes both.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 6:43pm
post #8 of 9

If there are allergies or a requirement for gluten-free I refer only that cake to another *licensed* specialty baker. Otherwise no way is there going to be another baker's cake present with mine. I explain it to brides this way, "The Sole Provider Clause means, for example, that Aunt Millie can't make a cake and bring it to your reception. Aunt Millie might not maintain proper sanitation procedures, perhaps doesn't wash her hands properly and spreads a little e. coli around. Because I'm licensed and the problem will have been identified as "cake" not only will my license be in jeopardy and my insurance hit for settlement, I could lose my business. And I'm not willing to take that risk." Brides have to agree and initial that clause of the contract.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 3:17am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

If there are allergies or a requirement for gluten-free I refer only that cake to another *licensed* specialty baker. Otherwise no way is there going to be another baker's cake present with mine. I explain it to brides this way, "The Sole Provider Clause means, for example, that Aunt Millie can't make a cake and bring it to your reception. Aunt Millie might not maintain proper sanitation procedures, perhaps doesn't wash her hands properly and spreads a little e. coli around. Because I'm licensed and the problem will have been identified as "cake" not only will my license be in jeopardy and my insurance hit for settlement, I could lose my business. And I'm not willing to take that risk." Brides have to agree and initial that clause of the contract.

I 'splain it the same way, except I use Grandma Sally. She's just as nasty with her hand-washing procedures though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%