Has Anyone On Here Done A Similar Cake..?

Decorating By ConfectionsCC Updated 8 Dec 2010 , 8:02pm by ConfectionsCC

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 5:03pm
post #1 of 20

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1770589702951&id=100001891841996¬if_t=wall&forceClose=1
Let me know if the link doesnt take you to the post my friend sent me on FB. My best friend is getting married and wants me to make her cake. FYI I am one of her bridesmaids, and she wants me to do both the brides cake and a sailboat grooms cake. Looks like a lot of work and materials! How much would a cake like this cost? I am making it for her at cost (and possibly extras in my goodie bag!) How much work am I getting in to? LOL Never done anything this large or extravagant, but I think I could create something just as beautiful!!

19 replies
ConfectionsCC Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 5:15pm
post #2 of 20

Also, what size tiers should I go with to make it look like that photo? Only doing 3 tiers, to feed at least 100

visionsofprisms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
visionsofprisms Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 5:35pm
post #3 of 20

I did both once( Make the cake and be in the wedding) I will never do it again. I tell my friends either you want me in the wedding or to make the cake but not both.

ConfectionsCC Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 5:37pm
post #4 of 20

Blah, I am dreading being in the wedding and doing the cake honestly! I just told her to not expect me to talk to her 3 days before the wedding..I will just show up that morning lol!! Great opportunity to make a beautiful wedding cake however icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 5:51pm
post #5 of 20

I would eliminte the monogram tier and put the monogram on the tier below--just drop that swag down to fit the monogram in that space. I'd use the bottom two tiers and the top tier.

It's a lot of work and that last minute too. Just make everything possible in advance. Keep the detail on the sailboat minimal. Just make a boat shaped cake and slap on a sail viola.

In fact you could make the board for the cake and the bottom of the sailboat well in advance out of foam & stuff--then just literally plop a cake on that, ice it, stick in the sail.

DanaG21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaG21 Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 5:52pm
post #6 of 20

Agreed, I would not do both. Something will suffer.....

ConfectionsCC Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 5:55pm
post #7 of 20

The sail boat cake doesn't scare me so much as all the ornate detail on the brides cake lol! I can handle 3 large cakes a weekend on my own now, most likely I will recruit a friend who decorates to help! She may not even choose that cake, she is just throwing ideas around right now..I think it would be a great one to build some future business for me though icon_biggrin.gif

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 5:58pm
post #8 of 20

That is the cake that Cake Boss did on one of the Challenge shows before he got his own show. And there is a link on his website to it also.

It took a professional about 8 hours to make the cake, not inlcuding the baking and preparing the frosting and flowers and RI and structure system. Plus he had an assistant. there is a lot of detail RI piping work, gum paste roses, draping of fondant. You are looking at a very advanced cake. I won't even venture to guess on the price with all the labor involved. Start now making those flowers and practice that string work. It is not an easy thing to do. Good luck.

Ms_Cake_Lady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ms_Cake_Lady Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 6:02pm
post #9 of 20

Um...I would second choosing to either be a bridesmaid or make the cake, and most definitely NOT both. I found it stressful this summer when I made the wedding cake for a wedding where I was only a GUEST! My friend did a cake for a wedding she was a bridesmaid for as well and it's not something she'll do again. Look for posts from mothers of the bride or groom that made their children's wedding cakes. If you feel the need, you could make cakes for the wedding shower, bachelorette party, etc.

amyoungbl00d5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyoungbl00d5 Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 6:06pm
post #10 of 20

Yes a lot of work and stress on you. But I think You can pull this cake off You can even make a bit simpler version. I saw some one had commented on that photo and gave another ink..they had a simpler version but it was just as beautiful. Just make sure you are prepared have everything organized. What ever you can do in advance do it. Let us know how it turns out and post pictures! thumbs_up.gif

ConfectionsCC Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 6:25pm
post #11 of 20

Yea I found where she got the picture from, Cake Boss did this one and similar versions of it, including some a bit more simple. Thankfully she wants fresh roses on top that match the rest of the flowers in the wedding, and only 3 tiers, Her main want is the draping around the bottom and the monogramming. Very pretty, I think I could handle the cake, still nervous about having to be in the wedding, Luckily for me, the wedding is less than a mile down the road at her mother-in-laws house! HAHA

NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 6:30pm
post #12 of 20

Beautiful cake...please post pics if you do this! Good luck and happy decorating. Praying for your sanity and nerves the week of the wedding!

ConfectionsCC Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 6:32pm
post #13 of 20

Thanks yall! Oh, and I forgot to mention, If all goes well, I WILL have a small home bakery to do the cake out of icon_biggrin.gif Fingers crossed that we start the building in Feb. and everything stays on schedule!!!!

visionsofprisms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
visionsofprisms Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 6:42pm
post #14 of 20

Best of luck on your own bakery that sounds extremely exciting. I am a bit jealous of that. But definitly don't envy you on being in the wedding and making the cake. I didn't think it would be that bad until it was time for the wedding, and the bride had a rehersal dinner the night before the wedding.

But, best of luck and come back here for sanity reminders. wish I had known of this site before I did that cake.

ConfectionsCC Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 6:48pm
post #15 of 20

haha, yea, sanity reminders...be prepared to hear me vent come closer to the wedding I am sure I will need to lol! icon_razz.gif

jerseygirlNga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jerseygirlNga Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 7:12pm
post #16 of 20

Here is a what-if. I know you said you will only be doing three tiers since you only need to feed 100 people and if you specified which will be deleted...I missed it. Please excuse me, the old eyes just aren't as good as they used to be! BUT... Not to throw off the aesthetics of the cake off, I would do the most time consuming tier (for me the one with the string work) using a dummy in advance. The monogram can be made in advance as well and "glued/royaled" to the cake.

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 7:17pm
post #17 of 20

I have a cake with that sort of fondant draping in my gallery. Yes- I would elect to do a simpler version! I would allow an extra inch or so in between cake sizes...say if you would normally do a 6, 10, 14 then do a 6,11,15.

I did my daughter's wedding cake and that was VERY stressful - I can't imagine doing both the wedding cake AND the groom's cake PLUS being one of the wedding party!! icon_eek.gif

Well, good luck to you if you decide to do both!!

ConfectionsCC Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 7:25pm
post #18 of 20

Goodness I am getting scared now lol! I might try to sway her to a more simple cake LOL!

ShaunPepe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShaunPepe Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 7:52pm
post #19 of 20

hmmmmm you say you are dreading doing both, yet you are still going to do it? Good luck to you then. I was in a wedding last year and made the cake. However, only the top tier was real so I delivered it Friday afternoon before the rehersal. Are you not expected to be at the rehersal or the after dinner? Are you going to finish the cake friday and then set up/deliver early Saturday morning before you get your hair done? I think you can probably do this if you give yourself lots of time the days before (sitter for your kids?). Personally I would be stressing about the cakes before the wedding day and not enjoy missing out on wedding stuff. I was asked to make the cake for my brother's wedding when I, my husband and daughter were already standing in the wedding. I said no. I wanted to enjoy myself the day before the wedding. Well I hope it all works out for you.

ConfectionsCC Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 8:02pm
post #20 of 20

Yea, she knows I will be very busy, I am going to try and finish the cake BEFORE the rehearsal, and actually bring it over just before hand. Unless something changes, we will be doing rehearsal and dinner at the mother-in-laws house where the wedding will be held the following day. She is planning all the pre-wedding fun for about 3 weeks before the wedding because of everyone elses schedule and to not be too overwhelmed for me! (sweet bride, she thinks of me with every thing shes planned icon_biggrin.gif) Even bachelorette party cake is being baked at her house (naughty cakes are not happening around my kids!) I came up with a similar design, but a little less piping work...hopefully this link works so I can get everyone's opinion on it! I will explain the horrible drawing following the link...
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc462/confectionscustomcakes/?action=view¤t=chris.jpg
Ok, Bottom tier, the drapping she is in love with, middle tier is the monogram thing with piping border around it, and a wavy ribbon midways around cake, possibly add some sparkle or piping to that. top tier will have alternating shimmer and matte panels, thinking 3 of each, each matte panel will have a simple scroll and rose piped on. the topper is a bouquet of fresh flowers shes ordering. I have months to plan it, its not until May but I know it will creep up on me! Big cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%