Buttercream Vs Ganache !!

Decorating By busybaking Updated 7 Dec 2010 , 10:15pm by busybaking

busybaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busybaking Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 8:31pm
post #1 of 9

Hi, I am a newbie. and cant decide wether to use buttercream or Ganache under fondant for wedding cake i am doing. it is a3 tiered mud cake, and the weather will be hot (i am in Australia).
any sugggestions? icon_smile.gif

8 replies
MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 8:43pm
post #2 of 9

Ganache all the way. I will never use anything else - highly superior in every way to buttercream, especially in hot weather.

busybaking Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 8:51pm
post #3 of 9

thankyou Bonjovibabe, do you put butter in your ganache?
and do you use 2:1 ration with choc to cream?, or would you use less cream beacuse of the heat. it is an outdoor wedding

MikeRowesHunny Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 8:59pm
post #4 of 9

Dark choc 2:1 ratio, milk & white chocs 3:1 ratio. I tend to use white choc ganache as it creates a paler base for pale coloured wedding fondants.

busybaking Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 9:07pm
post #5 of 9

thanks bonjovibabe, really appreciate your imput.
how long do you leave the ganache to crust for, before putting the fondant on? do you put it in the fridge until it crusts and then let it come back to room temp or just fondant it cold?

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 9:17pm
post #6 of 9

Ganache, absolutely 100%. The vast majority of Australian cakers use ganache as it holds up so well in the heat. Not only that but ganache gives a smoother and crisper look to the fondant as it doesn't mush about under the weight of it when you are smoothing it. Alsoooo, ganache and mud cakes go hand in hand ^_^

MikeRowesHunny Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 9:30pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyneeee

how long do you leave the ganache to crust for, before putting the fondant on? do you put it in the fridge until it crusts and then let it come back to room temp or just fondant it cold?

If I have allowed myself enough time, I will ganache the night before I fondant and allow to set up at room temp overnight (and if it is very hot, pop the cake in the fridge for 15 - 20 mins to make sure it's firm before fondanting). If I have to fondant the same day, then I chill until firm (around 30 minutes depending on cake size and thickness of ganache). HTH!

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 10:10pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyneeee

Ganache doesn't crust like buttercream, it sets hard because of the chocolate. You can either leave it on the counter top or put it in the fridge. I always leave mine on the counter, usually for about half an hour. I don't have experience when covering the cake with fondant when it is cold so I can't advise there.

HTH

busybaking Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 10:15pm
post #9 of 9

wow this is awesome , all this great info, thanks a heap. i am have made the cakes and frozen them , i will take them out of the freezer about 1pm , ganache them at 4pm then fondant them tomorrow morning , to be eaten sunday. does that all sound good to you guys?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%