No Infringements On Using Store Bought Cake Mixes

Decorating By pheonix31571 Updated 8 Dec 2010 , 8:45pm by Erin3085

pheonix31571 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pheonix31571 Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 7:12pm
post #1 of 8

so u can use box cake mixes and sell them professionally without breaking any laws? do you guys do this often?

7 replies
cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 8:56pm
post #2 of 8

Ok this is a hilarious question (but, a good one). Bakeries can even purchase already baked cakes and sell them as their own...Walmart and other grocery stores do this all the time. Yes you can use a box mix with no infringement at all.

Mix vs. Scratch is a very hot topic here. Some swear by their mix choice and others try to put down those who use mixes and swear soley by scratch only. It is your personal preference. There are a majority on this site (me included) that do some cakes from doctored mixes and scratch cakes for others. I say do what works for you and what your clients like. Most people in this day and age were raised on mixes so they prefer the texture and taste to a scratch cake so don't worry about it. If you want to use a mix go for it, just don't lie to you client if they out and out ask you if you bake from scratch, but very rarely will you be asked this question. Happy Caking! and Welcome to CC. icon_smile.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 9:12pm
post #3 of 8

very well put CakesDivine. I am another that does a mixture of mix, modified mix, and scratch recipes.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 9:28pm
post #4 of 8

Great reply! icon_smile.gif

pheonix31571 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pheonix31571 Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 6:15pm
post #5 of 8

Thank you so much for telling me like it is and a great welcome. Now for more questions LOL thumbs_up.gif

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 6:45pm
post #6 of 8

cakesdivine is on a roll with the good answers! she's the BEST!

and yes, some of the most popular bakeries start with pillsbury, dawn, etc. mixes. and i've also known of some bakeries (who are short on time and have too many orders) that will buy the baked cakes from one place and then decorate them per the customer's request!

i like to use a variety of recipes for my cakes. i like white and chocolate to be from doctored mixes, but i like my banana, carrot and red velvet to be from scratch. so it just depends on the cake! and if my customer were to ever ask, i'd tell them the truth!

as for my fillings and buttercream, they're always from scratch! but to each their own...i could care less what other bakeries choose to do!

welcome to CC!

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 8:41pm
post #7 of 8

I always use "doctored" cake mixes! I have tried so many times to get people to eat the "scratch" recipes, and believe it or not, everyone prefers the box mix!! Not many people appreciate my hard work with gourmet flavors icon_sad.gif but I will save those special recipes for the people that do want them, and use doctored box mixes for those who are looking for "what mom used to bake". With that being said, I only use the mixes for basic cakes, basic white, vanilla, and chocolate. My red velvet, carrot cake, and any pound cake I make from scratch. Those just don't come out right with a box mix in my opinion!!(WASC IS AWESOME)

Erin3085 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erin3085 Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 8:45pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpAt2am

i like white and chocolate to be from doctored mixes, but i like my banana, carrot and red velvet to be from scratch.
welcome to CC!

Ditto. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%