Fondon Cake Kit

Decorating By CakeHub Updated 14 Dec 2010 , 11:42pm by bakencake

CakeHub Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeHub Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 1:53pm
post #1 of 26

Hello,
My wife loves to make cakes and has always wanted to make some fondon cakes but has never attempted it. She told me she looked at some sort of kits that included pipiing pags and other things used to make fondon cakes and decorate them, but she told me they cost 600 dollars and up. So she was very discouraged when she saw this.

I wanted to get her a kit and figured i would ask to see what is a good kit to get her as a present?

Thanks

25 replies
bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 2:09pm
post #2 of 26

I dont know what fondon is. Are you talking about fondant? I've never seen a fondant kit that's worth that much. If she has never taken any cake decorating classes I would start her from the beginning. I started with a wilton course. You can get them at joanns, michaels or hobby lobby. the classes are fun and educational. she will learn how to cover a cake in butter cream, flowers and the last class is covering cakes in fondant. they are cheap and easy. good luck

genevieveyum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
genevieveyum Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 2:23pm
post #3 of 26

What a sweet husband! There are beginner kits that don't cost nearly that much- Michael's, Joann's and Hobby Lobby all have coupons that you can download online and print to save more! Fondant is a sugar dough that you roll thin and drape over a cake- this is what they use on all the cake shows on TV so I'm sure that this is what she means. I would say that a beginner's kit and the Wilton yearbook would be a good starting gift (they sell all this stuff at WalMart too). I just looked on Amazon too- the fondant gumpaste starter kit is available for under $40.

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 2:46pm
post #4 of 26

Hey CakeHub, congratulations on being SO resourceful! You will score major brownie points (pun intended) for your efforts.

Fondant is very easy to work with, it's like edible play-dough. You can get a Wilton fondant/gumpaste kit at a local craft store (Michaels, Hobby lobby, Jo Ann's) or online. You might check with those stores too to see if they offer Wilton classes. They are inexpensive and your wife would learn a lot. Many years ago, they offered "buy 1 get one" classes so you might even get a class for her friend (or go with her yourself).

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 4:46pm
post #5 of 26

What a wonderful thought! I don't know what your budget is, but you might consider ordering some DVDs on fondant for her so she can learn at her own pace. Sharon Zambito has some excellent ones - a very good one on just fondant here
http://www.sugaredproductions.com/_product_85116/flawless_fondant_dvd
Jennifer Dontz also has some great offerings here
http://www.jenniferdontz.com/estore.php?category=dvds
Also, Nicholas Lodge has a huge array of specialty DVDs at International Sugar Arts Collection. Global Sugar Arts carries all of the above in addition to virtually any tool she would need, including great prices on ready-made fondant by lots of different manufacturers. If your budget is larger, a specialty class would be perfect to teach her what tools she needs and how to use them. Don't know where you are, but we'll be glad to try to point you in the right direction if you'll let us know.

CakeHub Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 10:19pm
post #6 of 26

Thanks for everyones response. I looked into the classes but the intro to "fondant" {sorry for mispelling, at least i was in the right direction icon_smile.gif}, but they aren't available untill march. I will buy the kit that is mentioned, but im sure she will be short of some tools items. Are there any other tools that you reccommend that i get her along with the start kit that i will buy on amazon (thanks genevieveyum
)?

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 10:31pm
post #7 of 26

If you send an e-mail to the owners of the two websites listed above, they can make great suggestions to you.

They are not only both cake decorators, but also great teachers who give lessons.

Depending on where you are, you may be able to purchase a class or two from them, or one of the other great instructors out there that they can recommend to you.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 10:33pm
post #8 of 26

don't forget a nice, long rolling pin! some of us don't like the wilton rolling pins. i suggest the silicon or aluminum ones!

CakeHub Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 1:35pm
post #9 of 26

thanks everyone. i just emailed her

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 2:08pm
post #10 of 26

[quote="ibmoser"]What a wonderful thought! I don't know what your budget is, but you might consider ordering some DVDs on fondant for her so she can learn at her own pace. Sharon Zambito has some excellent ones - a very good one on just fondant here
Jennifer Dontz also has some great offerings here
http://www.jenniferdontz.com/estore.php?category=dvds
Also, Nicholas Lodge has a huge array of specialty DVDs at International Sugar Arts Collection. carries all of the above in addition to virtually any tool she would need, including great prices on ready-made fondant by lots of different manufacturers. If your budget is larger, a specialty class would be perfect to teach her what tools she needs and how to use them. Don't know where you are, but we'll be glad to try to point you in the right direction if you'll let us know.[/quote

I agree, I have all of Sharon's and Jen's Dvd's I am currently waiting on Sharon's newest release which is actually shipping today, can you tell I am excited, if you buy their dvd's you don't need any Wilton Classes, and their dvd's tells you which tools you would need.

bakencake Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 10:27pm
post #11 of 26
Quote:
Quote:

I am currently waiting on Sharon's newest release which is actually shipping today

Meee toooo!!! I second Sharons DVDs are the best! I too have all of them. I want to eventually get Jen's.

cakehub-I highly suggest the DVDs. For me going to the classes first helped me out with a lot of basics which made the DVDs easy to master. Also, if she doesn't already know about this site let her know. it has been the best tool of all. Good luck with your purchases thumbs_up.gif

CakeHub Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 10:55pm
post #12 of 26

which one should i get her first? she really wants to start working with fondant?

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 11:15pm
post #13 of 26

The link ibmoser posted takes you to Sharon's Flawless Fondant DVD

At the bottom of the page, she shows tools that are used in the DVD, too. Her videos are great!

Ellie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellie1985 Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 11:43pm
post #14 of 26

Is it possible she wanted the Cricut Cake???? It is a machine for cutting fondant in about any shape you want. It came out this year and was about $400. The price has come down. You need to buy cartridges for different fonts, shapes, etc.
That could easily be a $600 kit for fondant.

CakeHub Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 1:21pm
post #15 of 26

great...l'll get that dvd. Also, Ellie thats exactly the direction i needed to be pointed in. I will buy some of those items you mention thanks

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 2:01pm
post #16 of 26

I would get her the DVD etc before getting the cricut. There's lots of experienced decorators don't like the machine, it helps to have experience with gumpaste and fondant first.
Although if ur budget is that big, I think they run classes on how to use it aswell.
xx

CakeHub Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 3:03pm
post #17 of 26

i probably wont. i have other chrimas things to get her...althought a fondant chrimas sounds good!

steffiessweet_sin_sations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffiessweet_sin_sations Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 6:19pm
post #18 of 26

wow, cakehub, can u give my hubby lessons??? what a great christmas for her! i am sure she is gonna love all you get her!

CakeHub Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 11:26pm
post #19 of 26

LOL. I try to put some thought since i know she works and cleans and cooks. If i were half as thought full as she is to me i would be happy....

Here is what i need help in ordering. I found some other items that didnt come in the kit that i purchased. There is an ultimate set made wy wilton but i didnt want to be tied down by one maker or brand since its not always the best. Could yall tell me which brand you recomment for the follwing items:

Cutmat
Gum Paste tool set (mostly for flowers) i think she only need the pin looking items and not the cutout of the flowers
sizing circles
rolling pin
tapered spatula
angled spatula
fondant smoother
serrated quilting wheel
imprint mats
cutting wheels

I dont know if wilton makes the best of these items. if they do then please be kind to tell me or tell me the best or eaiser to use brand.

thanks

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 11:31pm
post #20 of 26

Ateco is a very nice brand for tools. Affordable and useful. If you have a restaurant supply store near you, pick up Ateco spatulas from there. They should be inexpensive. A variety of sizes are nice. She might not need the huge ones upfront, though.

steffiessweet_sin_sations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffiessweet_sin_sations Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 12:00am
post #21 of 26

micheals has the wilton quitling wheel, but to be honest as far as cutting wheels, i use a pizza cutter, i have several of them and in 3 diff sizes. if u get her rolling pins make sure its extra long, those are the best for fondant. if u have a baking supply near u and take your list. they can prob help u with a lot of those things!

dcarylmk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dcarylmk Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 12:47am
post #22 of 26

I would highly recommend dropping Jennifer Dontz an email ([email protected]). She is an excellent teacher and she would be happy to help you with the items you may want to purchase. Her fondant DVD is the best! I know when I first started I was at a loss but with Jennifer's help I have learned alot! Sharon's Dvd's are great too! Good Luck!

CakeHub Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 10:06pm
post #23 of 26

thanks everyone....does anyone know of a great gum paste tool set?

I also contacted sharon i think and got no help from her

bakencake Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 10:30pm
post #24 of 26

Best gumpaste kit for flowers is the wilton one. It has a book and all the tools to make the flowers. If buying from joanns, michaels or hobby lobby use their cuppons. up to 50% off!

CakeHub Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 10:35pm
post #25 of 26

do you mean the 10 piece set that cost 27 dollars is half price with coupons? i was fixing to place a order on amazon but nevermind..where do i get the coupons?

bakencake Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 11:42pm
post #26 of 26

here you go
http://www.mycraftcoupons.com/

I have gotten most of my stuff from michaels or joanns at up to 50% off. I never leave with out my coupons. It can get really expensive.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%