Black Mmf...didn't Turn Out Right!

Decorating By Hollysuann Updated 7 Dec 2010 , 4:54pm by aswartzw

Hollysuann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollysuann Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 5:33am
post #1 of 8

I searched the forum but didn't see an answer to my dilema...so hopefully I am not posting something that has been answered a hundred times already. I make the True Black MMF recipe tonight and it is very black, however the consistency is weird. It's really....grainy is all I can think of. I kneaded it forever and kept adding more shortening and also added some more Karo syrup but it didn't help. Nothing I do gets it to that smooth fondant consistency. Any suggestions? I used the jet puffed marshmallows like always so I don't think its the marshmallows. Maybe it was the chocolate I used? Any help would be appreciated. I need this recipe for a cake I am doing for a party Satruday!

7 replies
KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 5:46am
post #2 of 8

I always buy black fondant so I'm not sure about that particular recipe.

I know, in general, MMF needs to rest at least overnight to get to the correct consistency. Maybe you need to walk away and let it sit. See what it looks/feels like the next day before trying to add anything else.

HTH
Kristy

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 7:01am
post #3 of 8

hello! i'm not familiar with the recipe you are referring to but i used to make my own black mmf and never had problems. it would take me an entire bottle of wilton gel color- i would mix it in to the melted marshmallows before adding them to the powdered sugar. the black would darken over night and if it was still a little more purple/grey in the morning i'd add more black color from a new bottle. the excessive dye never changed the taste or consistency for me, and it was a lot easier than dying from white fondant.

i buy satin ice fondant for black and red though, its a lot easier and takes a lot less guess work =D

JackiesCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JackiesCreations Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 7:18am
post #4 of 8

There is a great recipe here that I use and never have problems. It's called "True Black MMF", can't think of the person's name though (sorry). HTH.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 9:20am
post #5 of 8

sounds like a problem with your ps if its grainy? or maybe your chocolate seized? dont know if that would affect hte fondant too...
xx

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 10:42am
post #6 of 8

the way I avoid using a whole bottle of black gel is to make chocolate fondant and then color it from there, uses way less color. sorry I am no help on your problem though.

Hollysuann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollysuann Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 4:33pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackiesCreations

There is a great recipe here that I use and never have problems. It's called "True Black MMF", can't think of the person's name though (sorry). HTH.

That's the recipe I used. I think it was either my chocolate chips I used or the powdered sugar. I am going to re-make it today with the Rhondas chocolate mmf recipe and see if that turns out better. Thanks for the suggestions!

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 4:54pm
post #8 of 8

Add brown coloring to the liquid in Rhonda's and then black. Add powdered sugar. It should work out great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%