Next Great Baker? Really

Lounge By madgeowens Updated 1 Feb 2011 , 5:12am by playingwithsugar

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 1:02am
post #211 of 289

Brian - Thank you, on behalf of all of us, for clearing things up a bit. I\\'m still annoyed with Corina - when I saw her reaction when Joe walked in, I knew there was going to be trouble. I still think that if they had taken the 5 minutes to show Joe how to do the edges of the callas correctly, they would have saved themselves a great deal of time and stress in the long run.

And thank you for helping the girls when they needed you.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 2:28pm
post #212 of 289

This is just an assumption - but I would think that all of these contestants have become somewhat of a unit. It is very hard to work closely with each other for that period of time and not find friendship at some point. However - with all the money that is on the line - I can also see cut throat at some point also. That is the hidden beast when it comes to money and favorable mentions. I wish we could see more of the \\"helping hands\\" so to speak.

I loved the guys cake this week - elegant and beautiful. Congrats!!

sweetmonkeycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmonkeycheese Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 6:11pm
post #213 of 289

OMG, not for nothing but I felt sooo sorry for the girls when they got stuck w/ Joe. He is not a cake artist, more of a baker (at least that is what was shown on show 1 and 2 and he had the worse decorated cake on show 1, but he baked a nice dessert so had immunity)

I really think the producers wanted Joe on whatever team Corina was on, if the one guy would have picked two different ppl and she was on the team w/ a man down he would have left that guy to work w/ who he wanted to and stuck Joe with her. They were just F with her for ratings.

I do feel bad for Joe too, b/c the producers put him on knowing it would be a bad situation, they were sticking him w/ ppl he did not work well with and that his cake decorating skill level was no where near the others.

It worked though b/c it kept me watching and guessing..

Regardless the boys cake was soo much prettier there was NO contest, even if the girls cake was not the leaning tower of pisa it still was not as pretty.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 6:26pm
post #214 of 289

I would really like to see some of the stuff they \\"edited\\" out! icon_smile.gif

Crustymuffin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crustymuffin Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 7:00pm
post #215 of 289

You guys would have to know Joe better than what you see on TV to know how difficult it was for the girls. He is truly a good guy but has personality traits that hold him back when he needs to work in a team setting.
I have respect for each contestant to even go though this and to now have to go through it again with public scrutiny. it really isn't fare but life is that way right.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 7:15pm
post #216 of 289

Brian, I absolutely agree with you that editing is what tells the story of how they want things to appear. What bothers me with this is the fact that through the editiing, they are producing a show that has brought about more criticism (of the show itself and the contestants), and not show the best in people or bring about things that are positive or uplifting. (Just imagine the difference in opinion if they were to show things like you reaching across to the other team to help when you could).

taste Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taste Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 7:47pm
post #217 of 289

Hey Guys, It's Corina from Next Great Baker...I spoke to my buddy Brian (crustymuffin) a little while ago and he suggested I come on and say hey. There have been such strong reactions to the show and in a way that's a good thing I guess. Just to repeat a lot of what Brian said...there was SO MUCH editing that went into this show. Each epi was about 30-40hrs of footage..unfortuantely that gets squeezed into about 38min of TV. They show you what they would like to show you. Sad for me b/c they were more interested in my "character" then they were me as a cake artist. I know there are a lot of daggars being thrown my way and I'm tough and can take it but I just wanted to say Hello and I welcome any questions, stabs, etc...LOL, this was KRAZY (yes, crazy w/ a K)...we worked so hard and now we're naked in front of America...eeesh, not always a good look.
I will say this...in defense of myself-I am a sweet loving person who loves cake! They didn't show some of the nicer sides-i.e. when Megans bag busted during piping challenge w/ 5 min left and i gave her my bag so she could finish eventhough I could've said "tough sh*t" and left her hanging..it's not in my nature to be that way...but TLC didn't want you to see that I guess.....just an example. Anyway...I hope youre enjoying the show for the most part. gla dyou all are supporters of Brian, I am too and think he's WONDERFUL. Have a great day. Talk soon. Visit my blog for more show related recaps www.corinaelgart.com/blog

cownsj Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 8:01pm
post #218 of 289

Hi Corina,
Glad Brian got hold of you and that you are here with all of us. Some of what you say just reiterates my comments about how the show is edited. I'm sure it is done for the effect they have sought, and after this many episodes, this is clearly the direction they have wanted to show. I don't care for it myself. That is the shows producers and editors who have decided to go in this direction and I think it's not a good one.
I agree with your blog that it was good that you and Megan stood up for each other at the end, I do respect that, tremendously Unfortunately, and no matter who it would have been standing there, I think that since everyone was told at the beginning there would be two eliminiations, then there should have been two. Buddy knew Joe's talents and where they lie, so it's not like he was suprised by it and Oops, he was wrong. Episode 1 Buddy claims he is a man of his word, but then in this episode, oh he's wrong and changes the rules. I don't like that and it smacks of dishonesty.

Do you have a website where we can go and see your work, aside from the show?

taste Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 8:10pm
post #219 of 289

Hey there...yes, a man of his word, I totally get that...I think production didn't anticipate what happened to happen...I think they were maybe expecting me to go ape on Joe, or expecting more of a disaster w/ the cake (however it was pretty rough anyway)...I think that was a lst min decision but please, I've been speculating till I'm BLUE in the face each week and it's only making me nutts. LOL Either way...it was ridiculous that Joe was brought back in the first place...off camera I had a little "chat" about this was making a mockery of the show, etc...I thought it was a personal attack on me and felt unsafe and threatened (again, stuff you wouldnt' have seen b/c I have to be the "dangerous villian). ah such is the world of reality tv. icon_wink.gif

I own a shop on Long Island called "TASTE" the website is www.cakesbytaste.com

have a visit!

cownsj Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 8:33pm
post #220 of 289

I really thought I was going to see Greggy walk through the door.

Thanks for the link, I'm enjoying seeing your cakes. I did actually lol when I saw the jeopardy one, it's so cute. No ones talents have been done justice on the show, not from the sites I have seen. I do get the pressure, stress, lack of sleep, etc., but I'm also beginning to guess there is alot more to throwing wrenches in the works and not just to "test" everyone's abilities. I won't say that it's not likely they didn't bring Joe back for exactly the reason you say, and they did make you and Megan look awful in your treatment towards him.

I do think I'm still watching because of Brian and his postings on here. I just don't care for this type format of a show. It reminds me of the bridezillas of cake decorating.

taste Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 8:35pm
post #221 of 289

or worse..it's like Jersey Shore meets cake decorating!!!! AAARRRGGGG.

cownsj Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 8:59pm
post #222 of 289

ROFLMAO. From what I hear, yeah, that sounds about right. Just from the previews of Jersey Shore I wasn't about to ever turn that on. And I'm a Joisey Girl. (Ok, so not so much a girl anymore, a bit older, and then some. lol)

Karen421 Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 9:03pm
post #223 of 289

Welcome Corina glad to have your perspective on things! You are right they are only showing what they what "us" to see, so thanks for coming and chatting with us - hope you will stick around !! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Love your cakes BTW thumbs_up.gif

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 9:16pm
post #224 of 289

I love hearing fro those of you who went through the show and get your perspective. But I have to say I'm surprised you can do this before the show has ended. So there was no confidentially agreement?

And there is also the Cakes We Bake website. They have a whole, whole different perspective on the show. It is like night and day how different. It may be of interest for you guys to check that out also.

And in the end, those producers do rule don't they. They have the power of the edit. It is amazing what they think makes good tv.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 9:19pm
post #225 of 289

Well i have been watching the show. And although it would be nice to see everyone being nice to each other. That isn't what sells TV.

Corina, you make a wonderful villain. (keep up the good work) And i do think that if i had a plumber or a contractor that couldn't find the center of a circle i would loose it big time.

Brian, glad to hear you are done hurting yourself.

I would really like to see you two make it to the end, but unfortunately i have no say in that.

cownsj Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 9:29pm
post #226 of 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by peg818

And although it would be nice to see everyone being nice to each other. That isn't what sells TV.

Challenge
Ace of Cakes
Amazing Wedding Cakes
Fabulous Cakes
Cupcake Wars
Ultimate Cake Off

Karen421 Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 9:42pm
post #227 of 289

Not sure I would put cupcake wars on the "nice to each other" list. icon_rolleyes.gif

cownsj Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 10:03pm
post #228 of 289

I debated on that one, but I can't really recall seeing anyone doing or saying anything to each other on the show.

Karen421 Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 10:07pm
post #229 of 289

LOL I guess it's the way they roll their eyes while the others are being judged or the smiles on some faces. But again that comes down to editing! We are seeing what some want us to see! icon_lol.gif

ljslight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljslight Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 10:31pm
post #230 of 289

Well Corina, they do a good job at making you the bad guy, er gal! But really, did you really threated Joe???? That was unreal!!

Crustymuffin Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 10:56pm
post #231 of 289

[quote]I love hearing fro those of you who went through the show and get your perspective. But I have to say I'm surprised you can do this before the show has ended. So there was no confidentially agreement?

This is why I'm only replying to things that have already aired and you have even commented on them.

taste Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 11:00pm
post #232 of 289

Thanks guys for being so 'normally objective' if that's even a real phrase! I will def chk out the Cakes We BaKe www, thanks for the tip. Now when this is all over let's just keep loving to bake and make great friggin cakes!!!! T hats what's what keeps us happy @ the end of the day!

Tclanton Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 1:45pm
post #233 of 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by taste

or worse..it's like Jersey Shore meets cake decorating!!!! AAARRRGGGG.

Now that is funny - I dont care who you are!! Welcome Corina!!! Now if we can just get some of the others to join in!! Hope you all have a great day!!

Tclanton Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 1:47pm
post #234 of 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by taste

Thanks guys for being so 'normally objective' if that's even a real phrase! I will def chk out the Cakes We BaKe www, thanks for the tip. Now when this is all over let's just keep loving to bake and make great friggin cakes!!!! T hats what's what keeps us happy @ the end of the day!

Agree
thumbs_up.gif

sweetmonkeycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmonkeycheese Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 2:00pm
post #235 of 289

Taste/ Corine and Crustymuffin/Brain earlier I stated that I thought that they (producers) were going to stick Joe w/ Corina regardless of how the other guy had picked the teams and that they were doing it to mess w/ Corina for ratings.. if you can say.. do you agree?

Crustymuffin Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 9:43pm
post #236 of 289

That is hard to say as I was not there for that decision making.

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 10:39pm
post #237 of 289

Now that is funny - I dont care who you are!! Welcome Corina!!! Now if we can just get some of the others to join in!! Hope you all have a great day!![/quote]

Well, I know that Jay is a member on here.. icon_eek.gif
Come on Jay... inquiring minds want to hear your input... icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

visionsofprisms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
visionsofprisms Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 11:26pm
post #238 of 289

Thanks corina for coming to talk to us. I meant to write sooner, but for some reason the ends of all posts were cut off and didn't want to comment when I couldn't read everything.

I have to admit I was the one who started this debate over the last show. But I am glad corina came to bat for her self and everything her and brian have to say is great.

I am also not anhuge fan of the way they are turning this show into an editing game. I wish it would show mo caking, especially since you all are vry talented bakers and artists that are left.

I honestly also felt that they were going to give greggie another chance. But it was Joe who came through the door.

Now I am just hooked because I want to see how it ends. But honestly the drama is why I hate reality tv.

Karen421 Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 3:00am
post #239 of 289

Oh Brian, I am so sorry! I think to do something like this in the short amount time they give you is crazy!!! And a whole 30 extra minutes for a dessert, whoopee! You all deserve a pat on the back for getting accomplished what you did!!! You car was great!!! I hope you at got some good, positive publicity out of this! Corina, congratulations on moving on!!

steffiessweet_sin_sations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffiessweet_sin_sations Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 3:03am
post #240 of 289

brian, i was sooooooo sad to see you go!!! i thought your car rocked!!!! hey saw your pics from the austin wedding show, cakes looked amazing! will be down in march, definately will stop by the shop!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%