My First Real Fondant Cake - For My Son's Bday

Decorating By goeasycakes Updated 7 Dec 2010 , 2:10am by tastyart

goeasycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goeasycakes Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 1:45am
post #1 of 4

Hi!

I'm going to attempt this cake for my son's bday party next month - http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1830108.html

I haven't made a cake since I took a Wilton Fondant class in October but think I have the skills to make this cake. My question though is, the poster indicated she used 50/50 fondant/gumpaste for the wings. Would I just make them and then leave them uncovered to dry out/harden? If the party is on a Saturday, can I bake the cakes Thursday night, decorate it on Friday and still have it be fresh for Saturday? Would anyone have any idea what size these cakes are? I'm thinking maybe 9" for the bottom tier and then 6" for the top - 2 of each?

Thanks for any advice!
Heather

3 replies
maisyone2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisyone2 Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 2:03am
post #2 of 4

Yes you can bake Thurs, decorate Friday and it will still be fresh Saturday. I would definitely make the wings ahead of time, a week ahead so they can be dry and stand up nicely. The size of the cakes can be whatever you need. I would say the cake in the picture could have been a 6 and a 9. But if you want to use a 6 and a 10 or a 6 and 8 or 8 and a 10. Depends on how much cake you want.

DeezTreatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezTreatz Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 2:08am
post #3 of 4

I most always bake Thursday, Decorate Friday - serve Saturday!

You can make the wings a week ahead ^ or whenever you'd like if they are going to dry rock hard - they take a couple days to dry. (It won't dry if it is in a container.) Just place a cloth or put in a cardboard box to avoid dust getting on it. HTH

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 2:10am
post #4 of 4

Your baking/decorating schedule sounds fine. If you use all fondant to make the wings make sure you give them plenty of time to dry. I don't know where you live, but if it is humid it could take several days for them to dry. The tiers look like 8" and 6" to me. 9" and 6" would also work. It depends on how many servings you are looking for. Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%