Doggie Treats For Christmas

Lounge By BethLS Updated 8 Dec 2010 , 12:38am by Elcee

BethLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BethLS Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 8:08pm
post #1 of 6

Hello!

So, my very dear brother in law and his new fiance have two adorable JRT's that are very much their "children". I'd like to make them some homemade doggie treats for Christmas. Does anyone have a recipe they'd like to share? icon_smile.gif

5 replies
Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 11:55pm
post #2 of 6

I've made these several times and they're always a hit. My dd, who is a dog trainer at PetSmart, makes them for all her "graduates" icon_smile.gif. I once made these for my coworkers with dogs and one person actually ate one before I could stop him and he said they were pretty good. Whenever DH makes bacon, we put some of the fat in the freezer so I can make them whenever the mood strikes. I'd like to find a dog friendly decorative icing to dress them up.

"Pooch Munchies"

3 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp garlic salt
1/2 cup bacon fat
1 cup shredded cheese (any kind, I usually use cheddar)
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup milk

Place flour and garlic salt in large bowl; stir in bacon fat and add cheese and egg. Gradually add enough milk to form a dough. Knead dough and roll out to about 1/2" thick. Use cookie cutters to cut out desired shapes. Bake on greased cookie shee at 400 for 10-12 minutes until lightly browned.

BethLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BethLS Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 1:40pm
post #3 of 6

Awesome! Thankyou very much!

These sound pretty good...definately going to give 'em a whirl.

What do you think I could sub for the bacon fat? (I only have two lbs of turkey bacon in my freezer, doesn't render fat at all) Lard? Shortening?

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 7:23pm
post #4 of 6

Lard, like bacon, is from pork, so the logical substitute would be lard. Shortening, heck no.

Personally, if I didn't have bacon fat, I would either use all chicken fat (like the kind you can render off a great pot of chicken soup), or mix chicken fat with lard.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

cakecraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecraft Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 12:28am
post #5 of 6

Hmmm...thanks for this idea. I usually do treat baskets for friends, but i have never included their pooches. Think I may this year!

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 12:38am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BethLS

Awesome! Thankyou very much!

What do you think I could sub for the bacon fat? (I only have two lbs of turkey bacon in my freezer, doesn't render fat at all) Lard? Shortening?

You're welcome!

I agree with Theresa...definitely not shortening, they'd be pretty bland. Would lard add flavor? I wonder if the dogs would like them as much without the bacon flavor.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%