Spread, Dip Or Flooding Large Areas

Baking By LindaF144a Updated 7 Dec 2010 , 12:44am by CookiesinLA

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 4:42pm
post #1 of 4

I was decorating some cookies last night. I am just starting out in this new venture of cookie decorating.

I made some mittens, a large snowflake, a snowman. As I was flooding them I was wondering if this is the best way to do large areas of a cookie. I saw on Karen's Cookies website how she spreads large areas and then decorates over that area.

I can see dipping if you are covering the whole cookie one color. But can you dip and then color an area over it?

So I would love to hear how you cover large area of your cookies. Is it best to dip, spread or flood?

I am talking about using either a glaze icing or RI. I used both last night just so I could get taste test later. icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 8:38pm
post #2 of 4

I always flood. I've never tried dipping or spreading.

gingerbreadtogo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingerbreadtogo Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 11:51pm
post #3 of 4

I usually flood, I think it makes the edges nicer. I sometimes dip round cookies, especially if I'm putting edible images on them with borders.( I have trouble piping a perfect circle) When you dip, the edges aren't so neat.

CookiesinLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookiesinLA Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 12:44am
post #4 of 4

I usually spread the royal icing for the background area. It's faster, less icing so it tastes better and you can control the design if you don't want to cover the entire cookie. Just outline with the detailing for a clean edge.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%