How Do I Get These Tiers To This Height?

Decorating By blueirus Updated 8 Dec 2010 , 1:53am by mommynana

blueirus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blueirus Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 3:33pm
post #1 of 15

This is the first wedding cake I have done for someone I don't know. DH is giving it as a wedding gift to one of his coworkers. I am a little nervous =) I was wondering how to get the tiers to be this height? I have 2 inch square pans. Do I need to bake them twice or three times? Each layer will be torted (or split and filled not sure torted is the right word choice). The bride doesn't like fondant so it will just be covered with buttercream. Any information or tips would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

14 replies
blueirus Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 3:36pm
post #2 of 15

oops having a hard time getting pic. loaded.

blueirus Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 3:11pm
post #3 of 15

can anyone help me with why the attatched picture won't load? I checked the allowed format and size and it is fine. Is there another way other than as an attatchment?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 3:17pm
post #4 of 15

The picture attachment function hasn't worked on here for MONTHS. You bake 2, 2" tall tiers, level, torte, and fill. That should produce a 4" tall tier.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 3:22pm
post #5 of 15

You did the cake already, DH is gifting it... I don't understand the worry or nervousness. Are you making another version of the same cake later, but with BC instead of fondant? How did you get the tiers to the height the first time around? (I'd do the same thing that you did the first time, if you're duplicating the first cake or it's what the bride is requesting.) With 2" tall pans, I'd bake them twice for a 4" tall cake, or if your cake is suppose to be 6" tall--bake them three times.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 3:49pm
post #6 of 15

This is from Indeb. She overfills the pans so that she can use the 2 inch sides of the pans to cut level tops. That give you a full 4 inches of cake for a two layer cake. The cake will be a bit taller because of fillings and frosting. I believe that she uses Betty Crocker cake mixes.

"Overfill Pans, bake at 325 degrees, bake even strips

I use standard number of mixes per pan:

Two 6" square or two 8" round or One 10" round: 1 mix
One 12" round or one 10" square: 1.5 mix
One 14" round or one 12" square: 2.0 mix
One 16" round or one 14" square: 3.0 mix
One 11x15: 2 mixes
One 12x18: 3 mixes
One 14x22: 4 mixes"

I used her method once just to see if it worked. It does. I had the tallest 6 inch cake I ever made. Since I don't bake for others, I don't bother with making sure layers are perfect. If you do, this works very well,

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 4:18pm
post #7 of 15

blueirus, where did the image come from? Is it possible to find it on the net? Maybe you could share a link to the image on the net?

blueirus Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 5:16pm
post #8 of 15

The image was sent over my email. I tried to ask the bride but she can't remember. The original cake was fondant but she wants only buttercream. I haven't made this cake before, am just trying to help my hubby and his friend out. It looks like the tiers are bigger than 4" but without the photo I will probably just have to guess. Oh well, what can they say, it is a free wedding cake and kitchen cake for 200 guests. thanks for all your help and comments =)

all4cake Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 5:39pm
post #9 of 15

all4cake Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 5:51pm
post #10 of 15

It may be the angle of the shot. I'd say they were average tiers...possibly split and filled for a smidge more height.

all4cake Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 6:58pm
post #11 of 15

Finally! Found where it originated! Maybe, you could contact them?

http://www.sugargardencakes.com/cakes.html

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 7:56pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueirus

This is the first wedding cake I have done for someone I don't know.

Oh... this will be the first wedding cake that you're going to do for someone you don't know.

I agree, the height appears to be a typical 4" or slightly taller, but not as tall as 6" or extra tall tiers.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 10:04pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueirus

can anyone help me with why the attatched picture won't load? I checked the allowed format and size and it is fine. Is there another way other than as an attatchment?

To get a picture to display in your post you need to upload it to Photobucket (or similar), then just copy the image code (IMG code) and paste it straight into your comment.

blueirus Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 1:33am
post #14 of 15

Thank you guys for all your help. Love ya CC'ers!

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 1:53am
post #15 of 15

coral3 what is a photobucket? cuz i allways have trouble uploading pic

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%