Covering A Cake With Fondant

Decorating By Tats0207 Updated 6 Dec 2010 , 5:56pm by 4realLaLa

Tats0207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tats0207 Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 1:18pm
post #1 of 5

Hi, I'm a newbie but learning a lot from here so was hoping to find answers to my problem!

I made a cake with 2 layers and filling in between, but after covering the cake with fondant the separate layers were visible and I could see a bulge. Should I have put more icing? How much icing do you put under your cakes? I just did the crumb coating and put on the fondant.

Any help will be much appreciated. thanks....

4 replies
JackiesCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JackiesCreations Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 1:31pm
post #2 of 5

Hi there, I'm also new and learning. But I found that you can put a generous amount of buttercream (or whatever) after your crumb coat, then chill it for a few minutes, then cover it in fondant. You won't see bulges where the layers are. Maybe you didn't put enough?? Or your fondant is rolled too thinly? This topic is being covered here, too, so it's a good idea to read through others' experiences etc.

HTH and all the best!

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 1:44pm
post #3 of 5

Did you let your cake settle between crumb coating and applying the fondant?

Tats0207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tats0207 Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 2:39pm
post #4 of 5

I did refrigerate but covered it by mistake. The top was fine, nice and smooth but the sides were the problem. Also, what kind of knives are best for carving cakes? thanks!

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 5:56pm
post #5 of 5

I would go with rolling your fondant thicker for one. And make sure you have a thicken butter cream dam so your filling isn't coming out (that should help with the bulge). Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%