Florida Cottage Food Act Update

Decorating By KrazyAboutCake Updated 26 Feb 2015 , 12:27am by ibspunky

KrazyAboutCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrazyAboutCake Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 12:01am
post #91 of 223

Hello Everyone,

As you know I have been working on getting a Cottage Food Act implemented in Florida so we can have our own Home Baking Business. Well, yesterday I received an email from the Department of Agriculture telling me that they sent me a copy of the recommendations that former Commissioner Charles Bronson sent to the speaker of the house. Unfortunately, this was for the other law Florida Freedom Food Act for the farmers of our state. But, they also said that the Cottage Food Act is a huge topic within the Dept of Agriculture. So I thought there was hope.

When I heard about the Commissioner sending his recommendations to the Speaker of the House, I decided to send Speaker Dean Cannon an email too. He did in fact emailed me back which I sent a copy of that email to all of you. Than I sent everyone that is on his committee an email too. Well, today I received a phone call from Teddy Cramer who is on the committee for the Speaker of the House. Teddy called me because she wanted to verify exactlly what we were wanting. I explained that we wanted to be able to have a small business from our homes selling baked goods to the consumer. If we have to be inspected and licensed than that is what we will do, but, requiring a separate kitchen from our living quarters and a 3 compartment sink was a bit much. Well, she told me that the committee and the speaker are going to submit to the senate that we are exempt from all requirements. Meaning we can bake from home and won't need to be licensed or inspected. Teddy was so excited that I brought this to Speaker Dean Cannons attention because no one on the committee knew it was illegal to bake from home and sell to the public and that bake sales would be illegal. I told her we have a House Rep working on this for us but, was trying to find another State Rep to sponsor the bill and she said that this wasn't necessary because this is being submitted by the Speaker of the House to the senate. Once the Senate reviews the Speakers recommendations and approves it than it goes to the Govenor to sign into law.

I asked her when will Legislation go back into session and she said in March. She said she will call me with updates and if I don't hear from her in the next couple of weeks to call here anytime.

Our idea is sitting where the Speaker assign to the sub-committee, than it goes to the 2nd hearing, than the Senate and than to the Govenor.

If I hear anything more I will keep you posted.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 12:24am
post #92 of 223

That sounds like very promising news. I wish New York would do the same.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 12:33am
post #93 of 223

Keep up the good work!!!!

simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 12:33am
post #94 of 223

Oh KrazyAboutCake.......I'm super impressed with all the work, time, and effort you're putting into this!! It really says a lot about your love of cakes! I am currently a licensed and legal baker but 100% support what you are all fighting so hard for. I would love to not have a huge monthly overhead bc currently I'm not helping my family financially at all. My husband is a cop and working tons of overtime to provide for our family. Meanwhile I'm pulling 70 hr weeks but yet we barely stay afloat. Having less overhead of rent, licensing, etc would be a huge benefit for us!

Thank you for all your hard work and count me in to help in anyway possible!!

sweetsirten Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsirten Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 1:11am
post #95 of 223

KrazyAboutCake - this is fantastic news! Thank you so much for the hard work you are putting into this. As a new baker/decorator, it is really exciting to think that I may be able to do this from my home, legally, one day when I am ready. Please let me know if there is anything at all I can do to help!

Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 1:19am
post #96 of 223

How very exciting! Thank you so much for the updates and for all your hard work!

pastrychef101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrychef101 Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 2:23pm
post #97 of 223

While his intentions are good, I think the Speaker's remarks regarding legal cake businesses are off the mark. His comment about "insulating businesses from competition" is completely out of touch. There is an extremely high level of competition currently in the cake business, especially with the popularity of the cake shows on television.

zoey2jack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoey2jack Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 6:44pm
post #98 of 223

WoW! This is sooo..... exciting! I just happened upon this topic and man does this sound awesome! Thank you for all your hard work and time you have put forth! I have been toying with going into business but haven't had the funds to do so. People always ask me when I will open a shop but it so unbelievable how much start up cost, etc. it would require so this would be such a blessing. I completely understand what others who do own bakeries are feeling but i wonder if they had this opportunity before opening their doors if they would have opted for baking from home instead if it were legal? Just curious? Can't wait to hear what the verdict is!

klhayes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klhayes Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 7:29pm
post #99 of 223

High five to you Barbara, great job.

amyruth219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyruth219 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 12:53am
post #100 of 223

Good luck to all of you in Florida. In Maryland we are trying to pass a similar bill. I am meeting with my state representative this coming week. I look forward to see how things go in Florida!

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 1:13am
post #101 of 223

This is awesome news! Thank you so much for your hard work and follow through!. I have been following this thread with personal interest and your success is our success! You get this passed and I will bake you a LEGAL cake!!

Sandy/Boynton Beach, FL

DerrellC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DerrellC Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 2:38pm
post #102 of 223

Hi Krazy.. thanks for all the leg work you have put into this. I pray it keeps moving foward and with our new governor hot on getting our state back to work he will sign it. When a law that will allow it to happen passes, we are prepaired to erect a seperate building on our property to allow us to have a completley safe,legal place to produce a product that that we can advertise ,without fear of fines.I don't have a problem with being inspected,licenced,insured and paying taxes, but having to build a complete commercial kitchen makes it impossible only doing two or three cakes a month. again ,thank you for your hard work. Derrell

KrazyAboutCake Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 11:53pm
post #103 of 223

Here you go Florida Bakers another update from the Florida House of Representatives. See Below
Barbara

Sent: Friday, February 18, 2011 1:20 PM
To: Barbara Schmal
Subject: RE: Baking

Hi Ms. Schmal. The subcommittee will begin work shopping regulation issues for a potential bill the first week in March. I will keep you posted. Have a nice weekend!

Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2011 6:32 PM
To: Creamer, Teddi
Subject: Baking

Hello Teddi,

I was wondering if it any progress was made to allow a baking business from our homes has been submitted. I know you mentioned that legislation is back in session in March, but Im not at all familiar with the process of amending a law or getting a bill into law. I have been reading some of the documents that are online but havent seen anything regarding a Home Baking business being exempt or being submitted to become law. A lot of people have been contacting me wondering what they can do to help get this passed. We have a petition online with 789 signatures. http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?FLcottag If there is anything we can do to help just let me know.

I know your busy and dont want to bother you I just need a clarification on the process to get a bill passed or amend an existing law.

Thank you.

Respectfully,
Barbara Schmal

jhay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhay Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 1:54am
post #104 of 223

That's awesome Barb! I SO appreciate everything you're doing. After reading your posts, I've also emailed some reps and am following the bill's progress very closely. I am absolutely on pins and needles about how things are going to turn out! Thank you again. Keep up the good work and keep us posted!

Totally-Frosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Totally-Frosted Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 6:29pm
post #105 of 223

This is such great news Barbara!!! I'm so excited and can't wait until we're able to start our own business from home!

Blessings,
Veronica

sechrestloans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sechrestloans Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 10:22pm
post #106 of 223

Barbara,

This is awesome!!! Thank you for all your hard work! let me know if there is anything I can do for you, I think we are from the same part of the state icon_surprised.gif)

Meloda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meloda Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 8:50pm
post #107 of 223

Barbara,

This is so exciting. Thank you for all your hard work and enthusiasm. Please keep us posted.

Melanie

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 5:27am
post #108 of 223

Hi, Barbara.

Greetings from NJ! Wishing you and all the Floridian home bakers the best of luck. Hoping to hear some good news next week or soon thereafter.

KrazyAboutCake Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 1:12am
post #109 of 223

Florida bakers the legislation is working on the Cottage Food Act. That is all I can say at this time.
Krazy About Cake.

jhay Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 12:01am
post #110 of 223

Wow! This bill is really moving through the House! Appropriations on Wednesday,then...who knows. Keep your fingers crossed everyone!

DianeP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeP Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 11:34am
post #111 of 223

Hi,
I'm in Florida and I'm thrilled to read that you are working on this bill. If I can help, please let me know. I'm just exploring cake baking and felt that I should abandon it because I cannot afford to be in a commercial kitchen. If this bill passes, I will continue and hopefully be able to sell my cakes!

Best,
Diane

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 12:06pm
post #112 of 223

I am sitting with anticipation for this bill to pass. I am origianlly from upstate NY and they allow home bakers. So when I move to Florida a year and a half ago I was devistated to know about their law waiting on pins and needles and so grateful to Barb for all her hard work "Kondo's" to you.

jhay Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 1:22pm
post #113 of 223

So are we in some kind of limbo now? Doesn't seem to have been much action on this since earlier this month.

Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 2:08pm
post #114 of 223

Most recent info is available on this thread:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-7102062-.html#7102062

Per the comments from user LineDancer, the bill will be discussed again on Monday the 25th.

As far as I can tell, it appears to be very positive!!!

KrazyAboutCake Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 11:44pm
post #115 of 223

Yes we are in limbo for the moment. The bill is in "return messages" which means the Senate and House are talking about any amendments that may have been requested. All bills that were presented have to be completed by May 8th. They only have 60 days to have a bill passed or fail. We should know something very soon.

mimi4bye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimi4bye Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 12:29am
post #116 of 223

Just emailed my Senator, Evelyn Lynn, and voiced my support. What a blessing this would be for so many families. Keeping all my fingers and toes crossed! icon_smile.gif

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 12:05pm
post #117 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi4bye

Just emailed my Senator, Evelyn Lynn, and voiced my support. What a blessing this would be for so many families. Keeping all my fingers and toes crossed! icon_smile.gif

I would be so blessed to have this happen I can't do anything in this job that I have and their is only one decent bakery that is in my area and that is the only one for say an hour in any direction, I have my fingers crossed and my husbands too. The kids are next... hehehe icon_lol.gif

KrazyAboutCake Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 11:50pm
post #118 of 223

Hi Everyone,

Ok I couldn't stand it anymore not seeing the bill move so I contacted Teddi Creamer, Policy Chief and asked her what was going on. Teddi explained that the bill went to the senate and they removed everything the house introduced and the house returned it ("Returned Message") blank the same way as the senate sent it to them. So bottom line this bill will be decided by the President of the Senate and the Speaker of the House. They have to work out the budget first before they can complete the passing of the bill onto the governor. Teddi told me that this must be completed within the next 13 days. I asked her if it look good and if it will pass and she said it did look good and the Speaker of the House is trying his hardest to get the bill passed.

Teddi also mention that the Cottage Food was added along with the other professions because they didn't have a another bill to support it so they felt incorporating it with all the other professions versa by it's selfso it would pass without a problem.

So we have to wait another 13 days before we know what happens. I strongly suggest we all email the President of the Senate and the Speaker of the House to support this bill. I'm not worried about the Speaker he already is doing everything he can. When I emailed the President of the Senate he said he would keep my letter in mind when the bill comes up. So please send your emails to the President of the Senate.

I had an idea once the bill passes we send a cupcake to the Senate and House as a Thank You, but, make sure you label it as required per the bill. Wouldn't that be a blast we could send it on the same day so they would receive them on the same day.

mimi4bye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimi4bye Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 2:14am
post #119 of 223

Please note that if you use the initial email address listed on the "Office of Presidents" main page, it will kick back. Not a good address. If however, you click on either of the "Quick Links" listed directly beneath his name, you will get his correct email contact. I had contacted him earlier on in the year regarding a totally different issue and had the same issues. HTH icon_smile.gif

KrazyAboutCake Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 10:15am
post #120 of 223

When writing to the President of the Senate make sure you include the bill number CS/HB 5007 so he knows what you are talking about.

Here is his email [email protected]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%