Florida Cottage Food Act Update

Decorating By KrazyAboutCake Updated 26 Feb 2015 , 12:27am by ibspunky

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 1:16am
post #181 of 223

tried to call local health dept today, they transfered me to enviromental health :/ .. they sent me to the Dept of health 1-800-435-7352/ same number for the dept of Agriculture icon_sad.gif ... couldn't get any further, got a phone call dad died icon_sad.gif very expected ... not any easier but will have to put on hold for now. If anyone finds out anything please post... will check emails when I can.

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 1:23am
post #182 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhay

Mr. Hixson said the same, but he also said to check with your county health department. There may be some county regulations,zoning,etc.. that you might be subject to.

Tried calling health dept, they sent me to enviromental health icon_eek.gif they transfered me to dept of health which is 1-800-435-7352 icon_confused.gif which is the same as the dept of agriculture icon_mad.gif Couldn't continue got a call and dad passed this am icon_cry.gif expeccted but all the same. On hold for now, if anyone finds out anything please post will try to check my emails

jhay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhay Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 9:33pm
post #183 of 223

So, once you've understood the Department of Ag's regulations and checked with your county's health department, what's the next step?

Getting a ficticious name and advertising it in the newspaper? How to federal or state taxes apply to us...or do they?

I'm ready to get this thing rollin'!

lspdolphin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lspdolphin Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 2:22am
post #184 of 223

I've run into some bumps. My county and city just received a copy of the signed bill only because I've asked about it and pushed. The county told me to contact the city because of zoning. City had no clue and had to do some research. After a week of waiting the city called me back today and told me that due to laws already in place I cannot do it from home but because of this new bill it makes no sense. So she brought it up to the "Higher Ups" as she called them in the city and now they have to vote whether to amend the law already in place. It can go either way at this point. Just have to cross my fingers.

So, jhay you may want to call your county licensing office and also you're city's too. I just can't believe I'm the first one is my county to bring it up to them. What county are you in??? I'm in Osceola.

enchantedcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enchantedcreations Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 2:30am
post #185 of 223

I called Manatee County and they have no idea either. The person I spoke to knew the law had been passed, but she said she would have to "ask around" and would call me back. No one has any idea. I think this is going to get messy. The State may have passed the law, but the Counties and the Cities have their own laws and are going to handle accordingly. You also have to abide by any deed restrictions and/or condo bylaw you may have.

jhay Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 1:12pm
post #186 of 223

I understand the lack of knowledge for the counties. I left a message for the lady I spoke to and she had to do research before she could call me back! I'm glad she did. She said that as far as she knew, there were no zoning issues b/c this law is meant to allow people to bake at home. She said that since the state required no licensure, then there were no licensing requirements for our county (Polk). I asked her to leave my name and number by her phone in case she heard any differently any time soon. Otherwise, she said good luck and go for it.

So...do I just get a ficticious name and get started taking orders? Or is there something else I'm supposed to do?

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 5:54pm
post #187 of 223

For those of you in Manatee County:

I just got a return call from Phyllis Strong, Development Services
Supervisor. If you would like to speak to her yourself, her number is (941) 748-4501 ext. 6865.

Here are the rules for unincorporated Manatee County.

You do not need a county Occupational License, if you are in a city, you need to check with them.

Zoning: No signs on your home property, no retail pickup, you have to deliver, your home can not take on the appearance of a business, no commercial appliances.

Here is a link to the Manatee County Chamber of Commerce with the city phone numbers and some other info.

http://www.manateechamber.com/start-your-business-in-manatee-county.aspx

We do not have to have a state sales tax ID, because we do not have to charge sales tax.

Personally, I am going to form and LLC, to protect my personal assets and purchase some product liability insurance.

Hope this helps, happy baking, carole

jhay Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 12:43am
post #188 of 223

I've also been advised to add a "Hold Harmless" clause in my contracts. This will give some protection against accidents.

JFoshee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JFoshee Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 2:46pm
post #189 of 223

Ispdolphin... I am also in Osceola County. I called the first business day after I heard about it on July 1. Which I believe was Tuesday July 5. I also got the run around. I figured I'd wait a bit until they know what is going on themselves. What area are you in? I'm off of Narcoossee Rd.
Judy

Erin3085 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erin3085 Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 7:46pm
post #190 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhay

I understand the lack of knowledge for the counties. I left a message for the lady I spoke to and she had to do research before she could call me back! I'm glad she did. She said that as far as she knew, there were no zoning issues b/c this law is meant to allow people to bake at home. She said that since the state required no licensure, then there were no licensing requirements for our county (Polk). I asked her to leave my name and number by her phone in case she heard any differently any time soon. Otherwise, she said good luck and go for it.

So...do I just get a ficticious name and get started taking orders? Or is there something else I'm supposed to do?

This is great, I'm in polk county too! I also have the same question...just start taking orders, or what would be the next step? This is all pretty confusing to me.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 12:37am
post #191 of 223

Anyone lurking who is in Palm Beach County? I am not within any city limits... I am wondering how this new bill applies to me and whom I am supposed to contact to find out.

Sandy

clr74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clr74 Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 1:45am
post #192 of 223

Hi all,

I'm a newbie here & it seems that I'm running into the same problems as everyone else. No one seems to know anything about this new bill. I've asked at the county & state level & people think I'm nuts. I was finally able to speak to a very nice woman down at City Hall who issues Home Occupational Licenses. She told me that the city I'm in does not allow selling home-made foods at all so she would have to speak to her Supervisor to figure out what to do & call me back.

Is there anyone from Pinellas County that has gotten any farther than I have? Thanks in advance.

mbowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbowers Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 3:24pm
post #193 of 223

Does anyone have any information on Volusia County.... more specifically Ormond beach?

kanndela25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kanndela25 Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 6:03pm
post #194 of 223

Any information for Lake County??

KrazyAboutCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrazyAboutCake Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 6:01pm
post #195 of 223

Hi Everyone,

As a suggestion when you contact your city requesting a permit for your home business, it is a good idea for you to send them an email and attach the brochure that is provided by the Dept. of Agriculture website Food Safety.

I contacted my city Largo, FL in Pinellas County, and attached the brochure and the girl was ever so Thankful because it saved her a lot of time researching the new law. She sent me the form to fill out and said to mail it back with my check for $60 and I am good to go. I also did a Ficticious name and I have my EIN and TAX Cert. You do not need to charge sales tax but, if you want to purchase supplies wholesale you need a TAX ID and your EIN numbers.

Hope this helps.
Barbara

Shelley51708 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelley51708 Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 6:38pm
post #196 of 223

Anyone know any specifics for Marion County? And I'm out of the city limits.....THANKS

Juds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 2:46pm
post #197 of 223

Has anyone been told that their city only allows office type businesses? I'm so confused because I know that they allow home daycares. Well, I'll wait awhile and call back.

ChubbyCheeksSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChubbyCheeksSweets Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 3:03pm
post #198 of 223

Does anyone know where I can get information about Pasco County? I want to make sure I am well informed before I start dealing with county employees so I can help them if they need it. TIA.

jhay Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 4:24am
post #199 of 223

Ok, so shifting the conversation a little...with the restrictions on what we can and cannot use (i.e. cream cheese icing, meringue icings, etc...), what do you plan to use? I'm thinking mostly American (shortening based) buttercream, and maybe ganache...what do you guys think?

kanndela25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kanndela25 Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 2:38pm
post #200 of 223

Because my county does require an occupational license, would this mean that locations that hold events accept my cakes with just my occupational license?

lspdolphin Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 3:52am
post #201 of 223

Has anyone from Osceola County heard anything more? I've been left hanging since the middle of July as they did not know what to do yet.

angelleyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelleyes Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 4:22am
post #202 of 223

I think your doing great work for FLA... And to the ones that think this in unfair. If You have a problem write somebody. You also had to start somewhere and we all know it wasn't in your own personal buisness right off. I mean who are you kidding here. Some of us don't have the means or whatever they need right off to start their own buisness. But we also love what we do and who are you to say we can't do them cause you have a building .. I didn't read all the books that were written on here cause wow I would be here all night but I get the just of it. I'm learning right now and love it and if I want to just see if i'm good enough to open my own buisness then who are you to say I can't or that it is unfair. You will always have competion no matter what you do!!

But anyway this is a wonderful thing for FL and if there's anything I can do to help other than what you mentioned contact me and i'll fight with ya icon_smile.gif

lspdolphin Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 11:34pm
post #203 of 223

Well I spoke with my contact for the City of St. Cloud and at this time she does not think the city will approve it. They are so strict with zoning its ridiculous! She said they have not given her the definitive NO but she believes they are leaning towards it. They believe it would be a fire hazard. They are concerned about multi family housing that if you burn down your kitchen baking you have the capability of burning down other family's too. Too much of a risk. So she has this big meeting of other issues but she came up with bringing up to them about putting in a clause that only single family households would be approved. Since single family have home insurance and know the chances of having a fire. She is on our side since she told me her own daughter wants to do it too. She also believes that the city tries to follow what the county does so it may be possible that all of Osceola Cty will have this same issue. I spoke to her about maybe speaking up at a meeting but it's not public so she thinks our best bet is to get all of us Osceola County Cakers to write to our City and Cty Officials to approve it for Single Family Residences and plead our case to them. It's worth a shot so tonight I will be writing my letters.

KrazyAboutCake Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 1:28am
post #204 of 223

Ispdolphin,

I have never heard such a rediculus reason for not letting you have your home business. Fire Hazard oh please that means you better not cook in your kitchen.

When I was emailing the Health Dept about the Cottage Food they told me they have to protect the consumer. I told them REALLY, than why is there so many recalls on food and the food I would need to make my baked goods they are regulated by the FDA and Board of Health. So I asked them again for another reason why we couldn't have the Cottage Food. Long story a whole years worth of stories between me and the state, But who won, yep we all won.

NOW GIRLS GO GET THEM. don't take their excuess stand up and fight. Go to the council meetings and not just once keep going get a petion going in your town. Oh Here's one how about discrimination against home baking business. Other businesses are allowed but, not the Cottage Food this just doesn't sound right. Make sure you give them copies of the brochure that was provided and on the Dept of Agriculture website.

chocolatemint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolatemint Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 10:22pm
post #205 of 223

So far I have spoken with someone from several departments (Health, Dept of Business and Professional Regulations, Dept. of Agriculture) and no one seems to know if unincorporated Pinellas requires a license or permit of any kind. I assume since they do not know, their regulations match the state requirements. Does anyone else have info on Pinellas?
If I hear specifics, I will post the info.

KrazyAboutCake Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 10:36pm
post #206 of 223

Chocolatemint, I live in Largo which is in Pinellas County but I am not unincorporated. The Depts you contacted would not regulate the unicorporated area of Pinellas County.

Here is the link http://www.pinellascounty.org/occupational_licenses.htm from what I read you do not need a Occupational License in a unicorporated area only if your business is within the city limits.

For those of you what I did to find this information I googled Operating a Business in Unicorporated Pinellas County. I had to look and read the site to find the information I was looking for. Hope this helps those of you in unicorporated areas.

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 2:26am
post #207 of 223

Sorry, I haven't been around much lately and I haven't really kept up. I was trying to scroll through this post to answer my question but I'm lost. So, did FL change their stance on home bakeries? Is it now a county wide thing? Does anyone know any specifics about Miami-Dade County?
Thanks!!!

chocolatemint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolatemint Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 8:59pm
post #208 of 223

Thank you KrazyAboutCake!

ssimonds2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ssimonds2 Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 2:40am
post #209 of 223

Anyone here from Santa Rosa county?

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 11:36pm
post #210 of 223

I have been away from cake central for a while working on my degree. But...I am soooo happy to hear that this law has passed in Florida because my husband and I are retiring there next year!!!!...Hillsborough county to be exact! I cannot wait to start up my business again...and I will do whatever it takes...stipulations...requirements, etc. This couldn't have come at a better time. For all you Floridians out there who have waited for this...congrats and HAPPY BAKING!!!!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%