Sand On Sea Themed Cake

Decorating By HG0265 Updated 11 Dec 2010 , 3:42pm by cownsj

HG0265 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HG0265 Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 11:05am
post #1 of 15

Hi

I'm in the middle of making a cake and now need to put some brown sugar on the cake board to reflect sand and some crabs made from sugarpaste. I've covered the cake board with fondant/sugarpaste. How do I get the sugar & crabs to stick to the board? I would appreciate some help. The cake is being collected tomorrow.

14 replies
awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 11:22am
post #2 of 15

How about piping gel?

HG0265 Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 11:24am
post #3 of 15

Ok thank you very much. I'll do that.

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 11:27am
post #4 of 15

You are very welcome!

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 11:48am
post #5 of 15

I use a mixture of graham crackers, Vanilla wafers and brown sugar for sand. Brown sugar alone sometimes melts.

HG0265 Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 11:57am
post #6 of 15

Thanks for the ideas. Will the "sand" stay on the board if I stick it with piping gel? I'd hate it if it all slid off whilst she drives home with the cake.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 12:58pm
post #7 of 15

I'd use ri, chocolate or bc for the crabs. The sugar that's stuck to the board won't move, but if it's piled up a bit it should be fine, if she drives like she is supposed to!
xx

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 3:52pm
post #8 of 15

I made sand with graham crackers and used the piping gel to adhere it...worked great.

kcassano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcassano Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 4:23pm
post #9 of 15

i dont like the idea of getting a bunch of brown sugar with my bite of cake---i've used plain old nilla wafers and they really look like sand when processed very fine. (spongebob & tikki cake in my pics). oh, and they taste great too. the kids were fighting over the sand...really? icon_smile.gif

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 5:01pm
post #10 of 15

I agree kcassano, I didn't like the idea of just eating plain brown sugar either..grahams or vanilla wafers taste much better and goes well with the flavor of most cakes.

cakesmart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmart Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 4:18pm
post #11 of 15

Grahams and vanilla wafer crumbs...what a great idea! Thanks for the tip.

maryj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryj Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 1:56pm
post #12 of 15

I used crushed pecan sandies cookies, delicious and looked just like sand

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 2:37pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryj

I used crushed pecan sandies cookies, delicious and looked just like sand

great idea, we've always used the crushed nilla wafers. But this is only good when you know the people getting the cake have no nut allergies, but I love the flavor you get from that.

We use buttercream on our board to attach the sand, workes great and we can sorta mold it as we go if we want the sand a little higher in some places, and again, tastes good if the recipients swipe a finger across the board to taste.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 3:28pm
post #14 of 15

I use either graham crackers or nilla wafers. I usually set the crabs, seashells first with a dot of buttercream, then come back with a spoon and lightly sprinkle the cookie crumbs over everything. If you try to attach crabs and seashells on top of the crumbs, they shift and move. *(ask me how I know this!) icon_wink.gif

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 3:42pm
post #15 of 15

Not that this has anything to do with anything, but I just thought I'd share since we are discussing nilla wafers. Our 2 year old dog is named "Nilla", for nilla wafers. We didn't give her the name, the rescue group who rescued her mom and 8 pups were all given names for sweet treats when they posted them on petfinder. We tried to change her name but nothing else seemed to fit her, so she is still our little Nilla.

ps. While she loves cake, we don't put her on the cake for sand at all. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%