Gumpaste Flowers

Decorating By cakediva3010 Updated 29 Dec 2010 , 10:42am by brincess_b

cakediva3010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakediva3010 Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 10:07am
post #1 of 7

I would like to try making gumpaste flowers. Was wanting to get a good step by step guide to making them. Can anyone suggest a good book to get. I would love to try making orchids and was wondering if Alan Dunn's book or Gumpaste Orchids was any good.

There are so many different types of cutters and veiners on the market that it becomes difficult to know which ones are the best to get. Can you give it ago without them for the time being until I get better at decorating. The cost of getting all the equipment that you need together is daunting.

I love all the tutorials and information on this site, thanks from a newby to everyone that contributes with the free sharing of information especially photos it is truely inspirational.

6 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 10:23am
post #2 of 7

Alan dunns books are great. They all come with templates, so u don't need to buy the cutters. Realistically though u do need to buy a basic set of tools (sets cone with ball tool, Dresden tool etc).
You can use a knife and the tools to vein flowers and leaves, and improvise with other stuff, but veinera are often better.
Flowers will look fine in coloured gumpaste, but they will look real if you use petal dusts. You can get by with one green, a couple is better. Some people use non toxic chalks.

His wedding bible one is the most simplistic one. But any of them is good! See I u can read them or amazon, or if ur library has any.
xx

cakediva3010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakediva3010 Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 3:11am
post #3 of 7

Glad to hear that his books have templates as I was thinking I could then cut them out with scissors while learning. I've tried our local libraries and its not something that is popular so they dont have them. I have gone through some of the previews through Google books which is great as you get to see what the book is like before you purchase unfortunately none of his have this option. I was also wondering how his books compare to the book by Scott Clark Woolley. Can anyone comment please.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 5:19am
post #4 of 7

My favorite and most readily available are Alan Dunn books. His instructions are very clear and the photos are terrific. Leslie Herbert has some good books. They are harder to find, but she shows how to make some flowers without cutters. This is the method I like best.

HTH

Michele

NataliaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NataliaD Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 2:14am
post #5 of 7

I agree Alan Dunn's books are the best! It's so easy to follow and he has templates for almost all of his flowers! Can't wait to get his new book that is coming out in July 2011 icon_biggrin.gif

NataliaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NataliaD Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 2:18am
post #6 of 7

cakediva3010

Scott Clark Woolley is also a great artist. I have his book it's great but doesnt have step by step photos of flower making. So if you are a visual person I would go with Alan Dunn's books.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 10:42am
post #7 of 7

a cel pad and board will make the process a lot easier too!
if you look on wwwamazon.couk most of alans books have the look inside feature.
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%