Decorations Sticking Out Of Cake?

Decorating By christybean Updated 12 Feb 2011 , 6:02am by connerart

christybean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christybean Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 3:10am
post #1 of 7

I'm a beginner decorator with only have done 4 cakes for my kids birthdays etc. I recently completed my first cake covered in MM fondant and everyone LOVED it!! I'm preparing to make a "Rock Star" cake for my soon to be 5 year old and would like to make stars sticking out of the top layer of the cake. I've seen this done but not sure what is used for the "wire". Also, can I use just plain MM fondant for the shapes or is this normaly gum paste or something else? Please help!

6 replies
MarianInFL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarianInFL Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 3:28am
post #2 of 7

You can get wires from Michael's. Chef Duff makes them. You can use just fondant, if you want. I use gumpaste, too because it dries harder.

Mary0321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mary0321 Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 3:49am
post #3 of 7

dont just push the wires in with the findant stars,,, it pulls trough the cake. someone might have a better plan.. you can cut straws and put the wires into that I think. I tried it once without straws.. just in the cake and the weight pulled it through the cake

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 3:56am
post #4 of 7

Be sure that you don't stick the wires directly into the cake since they are not food safe. You will want to use coffee stireers to actually stick into the cake and then stick the wires into the hollow stirer. Good luck and have fun! icon_smile.gif

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 4:56am
post #5 of 7

I like to make the stars out of white chocolate using a mold. They can be painted or you can sprinkle edible glitter on them. Best of all, the kids will love eating them!

christybean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christybean Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 1:26pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you for all your replys!! Especially the ones about putting the straws into the cake first then the wires icon_smile.gif I will post pictures!! Her party is this Friday!

connerart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
connerart Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 6:02am
post #7 of 7

What kind of wire do you guys use and/or thickness?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%