Will A Thin Buttercream Frosting Set For Cookie Decorating?

Baking By sewsugarqueen Updated 15 Dec 2010 , 2:41am by damanda

sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 12:50am
post #1 of 8

Busy making fancy cookies for holidays--nutcrackers, large snowflakes and trees. While I am using the royal icing it doesn't have the greatest of tastes because of all that meringue. I thought of putting a very thin layer of buttercream frosting as a base and then decorate with royal icing. Anyone try this yet? I want taste great combined with WOW pretty.
Would appreciate any hints you have done.

7 replies
babylamb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babylamb Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 8:39pm
post #2 of 8

You could use Karen's Meringue Buttercream, it hardens beautifully when you thin it out. The recipe is on her site, www.karenscookies.net. If you need somewhere to take your cookies, I have 4 grandkids in Windsor who are great taste testers icon_biggrin.gif

sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 11:05pm
post #3 of 8

Dear Babylamb,
thanks so much ... what a great website. Well I am going to try it and see what happens. Merci beaucoup!!! icon_biggrin.gif

mombabytiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mombabytiger Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 2:38am
post #4 of 8

I just tried this using reg. BC. It did not harden and could not be stacked. I didn't like using it. The color flow works much better.

mombabytiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mombabytiger Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 11:10am
post #5 of 8

I would think that any buttercream that hardened sufficiently would taste pretty gnarly! Also - there's that fat issue - can't imagine how you get fat to harden without refrigeration.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 12:00pm
post #6 of 8

use lots of flavoring and you won't taste the meringue powder in RI. I use almond emulsion and vanilla and everyone loves my cookies decorated with RI

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 1:20am
post #7 of 8

How about the cookie glaze from Carmie00? That hardens and I stack my cookies and it tastes great.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/15672/glaze-icing-sugar-cookie-icing

damanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
damanda Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 2:41am
post #8 of 8

Wow!! How much time do you put into one cookie?
Damanda

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%