The Mystery Of The Peanut Butter Fudge-Solved!

Sugar Work By -K8memphis Updated 9 Dec 2010 , 10:41pm by GI

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 7:32pm
post #31 of 45

Ok, so now I'm REALLY confused... icon_rolleyes.gif

How can you switch from 1 1/4 c. of peanut butter to just 1/3 c. and have it turn out right? And why would the recipe call for 1 1/4? Why not just say 1/3? K8 you are having a good time screwing with my head, aren't you? icon_lol.gif I wish it weren't so easy to do... but it is. icon_cry.gif

I seriously don't know if the 'easy' fudge has to be refrigerated. I can't answer that because the only time I've made it, it's gone to someone and they've done with it as they wished. But, I will say, I wasn't aware that fudge did need to be refrigerated. All the fudge I've seen has just been in airtight container at room temp. Well, if you go past a candy shop it's just out in the air, but then it gets dry if it's left like that, obviously.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 8:36pm
post #32 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Ok, so now I'm REALLY confused... icon_rolleyes.gif

How can you switch from 1 1/4 c. of peanut butter to just 1/3 c. and have it turn out right? And why would the recipe call for 1 1/4? Why not just say 1/3? K8 you are having a good time screwing with my head, aren't you? icon_lol.gif I wish it weren't so easy to do... but it is. icon_cry.gif

OK--see I posted about solving a 50 year old mystery--I mean I just said how I solved it. With cream de tartar. I combined the old recipe that I remember with the cream of tartar.

So that's why the recipe looks/seems flukey--it's a combination of what I remember with what I found yesterday. I don't think it would hurt to add more peanut butter.

Just cook something to soft ball stage, sugar, Karo, milk or water and a little salt--after soft ball stage is acheived add butter & mix well, add cream of tartar & mix well, add peanut butter and vanilla & mix well. Beat it up by hand like it says above.

Because that's how I bake and cook--a lot of people do that. Just read a bunch of recipes and then pop something out. I was in the popping stage when I was asked for the recipe so it's not in it's Sunday finest. So the recipe is there and my modifications are in parenthesis. icon_biggrin.gif

You're thinking too much.

Melvira Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 2:05am
post #33 of 45

Alrighty, that makes sense. I think I was skimming a bit and just thought that was the recipe you used! Then when someone brought it up I was quickly sidetracked by a bright and shiny object.

-K8memphis Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 3:42am
post #34 of 45

Anything you can overthink I can overthing more icon_biggrin.gif

So I just tried a batch using the greater amount of peanut butter--an overflowing one cup measure of peanut butter--naw--I don't like it as much. Somewhere between an overflowing one third cup measure and an overflowing one cup measure is very good.

And really consider measuring the cream of tartar. icon_lol.gif

Melvira Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 3:58am
post #35 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis

And really consider measuring the cream of tartar. icon_lol.gif

Muahahahahahaha. I won't even ask WHY! icon_lol.gif

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 2:07pm
post #36 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Do you have a good/similar regular fudge recipe too? Cuz wouldn't it be GOOD to layer a chocolate and peanut butter fudge? Mmmm....

Try this...it can be left out of fridge/matter of fact, I don't fridge it at all unless the rooms are just too warm! THIS recipe is *my* GO-TO for fudge! It can be frozen if you want and wrapped up tight. Ship in uncut bricks to keep from drying out too quickly, too. I may have found the recipe here on this site or someone gave it to me, I can't remember.

It makes a boatload of fudge:

4 C Sugar
1 C Butter
1 C Milk
3 Teasp Vanilla (cuz I like lots of BAnilla! icon_biggrin.gif )
25 Large Marshmallows (6.15 ounces)
12 Oz Semi-sweet choc chips
12 oz Milk-chocolate choc chips
2 oz Unsweetened chocolate (the bar-type, NOT the "cocoa" type)
2 C Chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)

Butter heavy saucepan. Stir in sugar, butter, milk, & Vanilla. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly. When it starts to boil, cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in marshmallows; add chocolates, stirring until melted and smooth. Add nuts if you wish. Pour into greased pan(s). Let COOL.

tip: Or line your ungreased pans with wax paper, leaving the tops of paper high, then you can grab onto your paper and lift the fudge out of the pan...or dump it out on a wooden slab, peel the paper off, then cut your fudge with a huge pizza wheel. But whatever you do, DON'T grease AND line the pan,,,,you'll never get your fudge out! icon_lol.gif

Makes 4 lbs.

Melvira Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 3:06pm
post #37 of 45

GI, that sounds awesome!! Would you like to add that to the Holiday candy thread?

(And I replied to the question you asked on my princess cake!!) icon_biggrin.gif

GI Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 3:18pm
post #38 of 45

Sure this can go in the holiday thread...I'm behind the times...where is it? icon_redface.gif

(I'm going to go see right NOW what you said on your Princess Cake! icon_biggrin.gif )

Melvira Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 3:26pm
post #39 of 45

Here is the link... http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-702287.html

Please, if you feel like it, post your recipe on there. We're not getting many hits this year. Last year it was huge!

Sorry to poach off this thread. It just seems like the two subjects are somewhat related... icon_redface.gif

GI Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 3:32pm
post #40 of 45

DONE!

Poaching...better than fishing...or Phising.... icon_biggrin.gif

Well, the recipe is fudge, kinda like the Pops fudge....hee hee...you know, K8, I have a similar recipe for P.butter fudge using cream of tarter. I think my mom made that way back when....its an oldie in my recipe book.

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 3:57pm
post #41 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

K8, would you mind if I added this to our Christmas treats thread and Google doc? I personally LOVE PB Fudge, and figuring out a sneaky-Pete's secret, so this is doubly sweet!! Congrats lady!

That fudge sounds delicious! Melvira do you have a link to the Christmas treat thread and google doc??? I searched but no luck. Thanks! icon_smile.gif

Melvira Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 4:00pm
post #42 of 45

Absolutely divinecc!! I just posted it up above your post so that GI could add her fudge recipe! And the google doc is linked in that thread. We'd love it if you joined us! thumbs_up.gif

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 4:19pm
post #43 of 45

Thanks!

-K8memphis Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 9:44pm
post #44 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI

DONE!

Poaching...better than fishing...or Phising.... icon_biggrin.gif

Well, the recipe is fudge, kinda like the Pops fudge....hee hee...you know, K8, I have a similar recipe for P.butter fudge using cream of tarter. I think my mom made that way back when....its an oldie in my recipe book.

Interesting. I shoulda asked yah!! icon_lol.gif

GI Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 10:41pm
post #45 of 45

Naa, I think your Paps did you justice! icon_biggrin.gif He wanted you to have a treasure to hunt down! icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%