Urgent Fondant Help Needed: How To Cover Big Cake

Decorating By Kyriosity Updated 6 Dec 2010 , 2:49am by mommynana

Kyriosity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kyriosity Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 2:42pm
post #1 of 20

This isn't quite how I'd envisioned this beast turning out...15" high by about 10.5" diameter. I've carved the excess so I'm working with relatively smooth sides, but the thing is so ginormous...how in the world should I try covering it? My best thought is to try wrapping it so there's a seam down one side and excess to come over the top and cover it, but it'd have to be such a huge sheet of fondant -- about 20" x 34" -- that I foresee disaster. Another idea is to go with a sheet about the same size, but drape it over the top and end up with two seams down the sides. I'm not so worried about getting it perfect as I am about just laying down a decent foundation for the other decorating I want to do.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

~Valerie

19 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 2:58pm
post #2 of 20

I'd freeze it and lay it down and roll it up in fondant, or candy clay. Even if I do it with it standing up, it would be frozen solid. Around the bottom, I would also trim the fondant high so some cake is left exposed because it's gonna stretch a lot downward.

You do have boards and dowel every other layer. Yes?

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 3:00pm
post #3 of 20

I don't do fondant but could you cut one piece 15 inches by the circumference and use it around the side with one seam up the back and cut a circle that is 10 1/2 inch diameter to go on top with a seam at the edge of the top? You might need a second set of hands to help apply the big sheet around the sides so you don't lose control of it.

Kyriosity Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 3:12pm
post #4 of 20

K8 -- Alas, freezing is not an option. And it's so heavy I don't think I could manage flipping it on its side, anyway. I can barely lift it! Yes, the cake is well-endoweled. icon_biggrin.gif

denette -- Alas again, no second set of hands. That would definitely be a help with this monster. Not to mention that a second set of brains would be a blessing on this one! icon_razz.gif

~Valerie

kristanashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristanashley Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 3:17pm
post #5 of 20

I would lay it on in strips and spackle the cracks.

Kyriosity Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 3:23pm
post #6 of 20

kristan -- I thought about doing strips, but was worried about peeling. What would you recommend using for the spackle?

~Valerie

-K8memphis Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 3:31pm
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyriosity

Yes, the cake is well-endoweled. icon_biggrin.gif

~Valerie

Bwuwahahaha icon_lol.gif

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 3:56pm
post #8 of 20

I second the idea of doing one sheet around the side (15 inches wide) and another on top. But regardless of whether you want to do that or strips, you can even out the seams with buttercream you tint. You may want to try a few practice mini pieces on fondant first, just to make sure that once the fondant and the buttercream are dried, they actually achieve the same shade of color. Good luck!

PS What exactly are you making?

-K8memphis Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 4:00pm
post #9 of 20

It needs to be wider than the 15 inches because it will go on at an angle.

kristanashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristanashley Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 4:10pm
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyriosity

kristan -- I thought about doing strips, but was worried about peeling. What would you recommend using for the spackle?

~Valerie

I melt the fondant a little and add in a tiny bit of water to make a paste. I learned it right here...

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-613320-.html

-K8memphis Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 4:21pm
post #11 of 20

Y'know it's not hard to roll fondant out 36 inches wide or more--but I tell yah that thing is gonna smush with that much weight on it at room temperature--can you at least get it chilled?

Because the fondant is gonna stretch out too so you won't have to get it exactly wide enough.

You'll loose some height in your finished piece one way or the other. I would not attempt it if I couldn't chill it. I'd figure out how to freeze it myself.

If you can't lift it now what are you gonna do when you add upteen pounds of fondant to it???

What are you making?

-K8memphis Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 4:22pm
post #12 of 20

I got it--take it apart half by half & freeze the boogers out of it!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 4:54pm
post #13 of 20

If you did as suggested upthread, roll out the height of the cake (or a bit wider) by the circumference(or a bit longer). Roll the fondant up on a large dowel (may even roll a vinyl mat up with it). Unroll it slowly as you work it around the cake (like applying fondant bands/ribbons). Trim up where the fondant meets the beginning. Make sure to have your dusting pouch, smoother(s), knife/spatula/cutting tool nearby. Lay a disc of fondant on top and adhere to side fondant and trim edges.

all4cake Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 4:56pm
post #14 of 20

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooor, disassemble. Cover sections separately. Reassemble. Use the spackle for horizontal seams or decorate to hide them.

all4cake Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 5:32pm
post #15 of 20

If you do that weight trick that some use (place something, that is similar in weight to the fondant to be applied, on top for several hours) may be beneficial in this case. I would also crumbcoat it before allowing it to rest to prevent dried out edges (especially since they've been trimmed)

Kyriosity Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 2:34pm
post #16 of 20

I made it work!

Image[/img]

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 2:41pm
post #17 of 20

Yowsa! Congrats on successfully tackling such a big project. How did you end up doing it?

all4cake Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 2:45pm
post #18 of 20

You decided to go over the top, like a regular tier, eh? Not bad at all especially, for a tier that tall!

Kyriosity Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 2:01am
post #19 of 20

Yep, over the top, but with seams on the sides. At first I thought it was a disaster because I had a thin spot that tore, and the icing underneath was too thick, so it was a mushy mess. I thought for sure everything would just peel off in transport (I've had that happen). But the decoration was flat enough that I was able to wrap the whole thing in Press'n Seal (thought that would be safer than regular plastic wrap), and surround it with pillows and blankets in the car so it wouldn't jostle too much. It obviously wasn't perfectly smooth, but it worked out. I added the beads and coins after I got there, and everyone was happy!

~Valerie

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 2:49am
post #20 of 20

thats soooommmmmee slice of cake

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%