Another Rocket Cake Question, Smoke?

Decorating By sweetpea3829 Updated 4 Dec 2010 , 5:16pm by sweetpea3829

sweetpea3829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea3829 Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 4:17am
post #1 of 6

Anybody have any suggestions on how to achieve the smoke effect from the bottom of this rocket? http://www.flickr.com/photos/donbuciak/2284636526

Or something similar? Like the shuttle from the photo attached, my rocket will stand upright (but not above) on the table.

Thanks in advance!!!

5 replies
caseyhayes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caseyhayes Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 4:48am
post #2 of 6

Looks to me like a load of thick icing piped out with a very large round tip. Kind of like doing clouds. Hope I understood your question.

sweetpea3829 Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 4:15pm
post #3 of 6

I was thinking it looked more solid almost...kind of like a meringue maybe? I have no idea...but I'd sure appreciate ideas. Icing seems....I don't know...difficult to work with in that way...difficult to keep fresh?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 4:34pm
post #4 of 6

I'd just blob icing onto cake scraps built up underneath for the height so there's only mostly one layer of icing and air brush it or use the cans of spray. The red/pink stuff is something different, cooked sugar or piping gel?

It's blobbed out a big a$$ tip real real big opening and just waltz away with it--very confident--blob blob blob pipe pipe swirly swirl.

It could be marshmellow or Italian buttercream could look like that.

(marshmellow is an alternate spelling for marshmallow--I like it--not that all my misspellings are legit--this one is icon_biggrin.gif )

chasenboomsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chasenboomsmom Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 5:09pm
post #5 of 6

i had to make smoke coming out of a beaker for my son's science party cake...and i used cotton candy!!! got a tub of it at the dollar store placed it on and used a kabob skewer to fluff it out..worked wonderful...you have to do it last minute though or the moisture of cake and or air will make it melt down...hope this helps

sweetpea3829 Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 5:16pm
post #6 of 6

Ok....cotton candy did come to mind. But...I have the hardest time finding it around here, and the colors I've found (at Chuck e Cheese) are pink and blue...lol.

I actually used cotton candy to decorate a ballerina cake I made for my daughter last year. I didn't know that it would dissolve...luckily, I put it on last minute by chance. Honestly though, when it dissolved the next day...the crust it left was delicious!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%