Getting Sanding Sugar To Stick To A Zebra Print Fondant.

Decorating By Itsasweetlife Updated 9 Dec 2010 , 4:27pm by kcassano

Itsasweetlife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Itsasweetlife Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 6:49pm
post #1 of 7

Hi I am making a zebra print cake for a Birthday and would like the stripes to have black sanding sugar on them to make it really girly and sparkly. Does anyone know if I should apply the sugar to the stripes before I assemble the cake or should I do it after the stripes are on? I dont want the black sugar to mark up the white fondant.

6 replies
Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 7:34pm
post #2 of 7

Either way I think you'll end up with some on the white, but you can use a dry paint brush to get it off. Or why not use a luster/disco dust and paint the stripes?

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 7:39pm
post #3 of 7

The sugar is only going to stick where you apply your 'glue'. I'd put the sugar on the stripes before attaching them to the cake. If any falls off, just use an empty squeeze bottle to blow the sugar away.

leafO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leafO Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 12:27am
post #4 of 7

I agree, I would do them before and let them "dry"(glue set up) before putting on the cake.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 4:23am
post #5 of 7

*Smacking forehead* An empty squeeze bottle! Genius! Why didn't I think of that!

There have been many times that I have wished that canned air was food safe because I needed to blow something off a piece. Dang! An empty squeeze bottle. I've got like 6 of them hanging around.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 4:20pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

*Smacking forehead* An empty squeeze bottle! Genius! Why didn't I think of that!

There have been many times that I have wished that canned air was food safe because I needed to blow something off a piece. Dang! An empty squeeze bottle. I've got like 6 of them hanging around.

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

kcassano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcassano Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 4:27pm
post #7 of 7

I did a mini zebra cake (in pics)...and i wanted the stripes to be sparkly too. I cut them out, lightly brushed with water and then flipped them over and "dipped" them into the edible glitter. i let them setup for a sec and then i applied them to the cake. inevitably, you're going to get the sugar on the cake. it's impossible not to. i just used a dry brush to brush them off.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%