How Many Standard Sponge Cakes Would It Take To Make This?

Decorating By deliciabale Updated 3 Dec 2010 , 9:19pm by leily

deliciabale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciabale Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 6:40pm
post #1 of 4

How many standard sponge cakes would it take to make this?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/courtneyscakes/3213270841/

3 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 6:53pm
post #2 of 4

depends what a standard sponge cake is?
there are many ways to make a topsy, but for a two tier cake, i would do my standard depth bottom tier. for the top tier, id make double-ish, as i cut out a hole in the middle.
xx

MissLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLisa Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 6:54pm
post #3 of 4

That question can't really be answered without knowing how big each tier is and pictures can be so deceiving.
It's best to figure out how many servings you need and then determine how much you need.

Topsy Turvy cakes can be done two ways. You can bake the tiers all the same size and then taper them. Or you can bake in progressive size pans and have less tapering.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 9:19pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLisa

That question can't really be answered without knowing how big each tier is and pictures can be so deceiving.

You not only need to know how big you need/want each tier, but how many cups of batter does your recipe make? If you're making a multiple tier cake even a 1 cup difference in a recipe can be the difference between making 3 recipes or 4 recipes. Most cake recipes i've seen make on average 3-5 cups of batter (unless you're adding some sort of extender to it) Well that difference of 2 cups between some recipes is going to add up quick.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%