Fbct Question

Decorating By Mb20fan Updated 3 Dec 2010 , 7:14pm by Mb20fan

Mb20fan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mb20fan Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 6:13pm
post #1 of 4

Hey guys...quick question please, regarding a FBCT. To achieve that smooth look in the image, what icing consistency works best for this? Do I need to add something to the icing? I've tried this once before some time back and didn't like how, once my image was flipped onto the cake, it appeared lumpy and the lines of icing were seen. I have to do an image that only has 2 colors (black outline and yellow inside), but I want it to be smooth looking like run sugar or color flow. The only reason I'm thinking to do the FBCT is for the taste. Because of the size of the image (will cover a good bit of the top of the cake), I am not sure how 'tasty' run sugar or color flow is - I've never tried either, though I'm willing if it will yield a better visual result AND still taste ok. TIA.

Shay

3 replies
Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 6:33pm
post #2 of 4

I use just a medium consistency BC for my FBCTs two things I do to improve the look is that once the design is down on the wax paper I put a paper towel over the top and VERY LIGHTLY smooth it down on the icing-using a scraper....it helps squish down any gaps or "lines" that may be present...the next thing I do is once the FBCT is on the cake I let it sit for about 5-10 minute to give it time to thaw and I cover the design with a viva and smooth it again so it's all level and consistent looking, HTH

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 6:55pm
post #3 of 4

For me I use stiff icing and after I do the image I use my trusty dusty finger to smooth out the lines. I lift up my image to see if I have any lines and fix them. Depending on the type of image that I am doing I will outline the whole image and then freeze it as I complete the sections. Don't forget to put a thin layer of the color of the icing that it will be sitting on.

Mb20fan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mb20fan Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 7:14pm
post #4 of 4

Viva...Image

Great guys, thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%