Magic Line Or Wiltons

Lounge By Buttercream_warrior Updated 12 Dec 2010 , 9:23pm by Buttercream_warrior

Buttercream_warrior Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Buttercream_warrior Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 8:54pm
post #1 of 7

im wanting to buy a book cake pan..ive seen the wilton but i just ran across a magic line book pan too..can anyone tell me if they have one or not and which one might be better..i have both magic line and wilton pans..and seem to like the magic line better but ive seen sooo many book cakes and seen that ppl have used wiltons pan for it..so just wondering if wiltons might be better or not..thanks!! icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 10:23pm
post #2 of 7

I'd assume that the Magic Line pan is a heavier gauge, so probably a better quality pan.

That said, I no longer make open books using a book pan. The only time I've ever had someone say a cake was dry was when I used the 2 mix open book pan. She ate one of the corners--an area much thinner than the "humped" center of the pages--and it was drier than the body of the cake.

My conclusion was that in order to bake the thicker area properly, the edges overbaked.

I now carve my open books from a sheet cake. I prefer to waste a very small amount of cake to having parts of it be dry.

Rae

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 10:41pm
post #3 of 7

::falls to the floor::

Comparing a Wilton pan to a Magic Line pan is like comparing apples to . . . to . . .halibut. Just doens't make any sense. icon_smile.gif

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 10:43pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Comparing a Wilton pan to a Magic Line pan is like comparing apples to . . . to . . .halibut. Just doesn't make any sense. icon_smile.gif

Well said leah! It sure isn't apples to apples is it?

evelyn

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 11:47pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:

Comparing a Wilton pan to a Magic Line pan is like comparing apples to . . . to . . .halibut. Just doens't make any sense. icon_smile.gif

Exactly! NO comparison!

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 11:49pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by imsobubbley

ive seen sooo many book cakes and seen that ppl have used wiltons pan for it..so just wondering if wiltons might be better or not..thanks!! icon_biggrin.gif

I wonder if many who use the Wilton pan got it with a 40 - 50% coupon.....that is how I got my "starter" pans.....but had I known what I know now.....I would have gone straight to the Magic Line......

Buttercream_warrior Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Buttercream_warrior Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 9:23pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:

heehee..im embarrased now. icon_redface.gif .lol.. i never thought of carving it..i think id rather do that now..lol..thanks yall

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%