Holly Leaves For High Schoolers

Decorating By LJJohnson Updated 3 Dec 2010 , 5:02am by playingwithsugar

LJJohnson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LJJohnson Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 7:22pm
post #1 of 7

Merry Christmas everyone!

My friend is teaching a world food class in a high school, and she wants her students to make a bouche de noel/yule log. She came to me looking for decorating ideas that would be fairly cheap and easy (be done in an hour during class, but could be made a day or two ahead of decorating).

I had thought about chocolate icing, with holly leaves and berries made of a rolled icing. Does anyone have any ideas of an easy way to make holly leaves?

Any other ideas would be appreciated too!

Thanks,

Laura

6 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 7:35pm
post #2 of 7

Sculpey studio has a holly leaf cutter/veiner set for $10 (or less if you buy it at one of the craft stores with a coupon). It's designed for clay but I use them for fondant. They're easy enough to use that my 8 year old can use them without supervision icon_biggrin.gif

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 7:56pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJohnson

Does anyone have any ideas of an easy way to make holly leaves?

The easiest way would be to pipe a leaf with buttercream and pull out some points with a toothpick:
http://www.wilton.com/technique/Holly-Leaf

then add three holly berries near the base of each leaf.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 8:22pm
post #4 of 7

Get some plastic holly leaves (dollar store floral stems) and sterilize them with antimicrobial dish soap (Dawn) and hot water. Rinse well. Allow to air dry overnight.

Melt some green candy melts and paint the melted candy on the back of the leaves. Paint them thickly enough for amateurs to handle them without breakage. If necessary, they can be refrigerated for about 15 minutes to cool them down enough to handle. They will be cool and hard in no time.

Make extras, because you know kids will try to sneak them and munch.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 8:30pm
post #5 of 7

most shops - craft, home supplies, superstores, sell some holly leaf cutters at this time of year, can maybe pick up a couple quite cheaply. but reall,y its not a difficult shape to cut out with a knife - can easily make a template, and vein just by marking with a knife.
xx

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 4:52am
post #6 of 7

I believe PME has a cutter/ejecter. Roll out fondant, press cutter into fondant, press plunger, remove cutter and done!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 5:02am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

I believe PME has a cutter/ejecter. Roll out fondant, press cutter into fondant, press plunger, remove cutter and done!

I forgot all about that. Good call.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%