Do You Provide Btb Whatever Cake Stand She Wants

Decorating By HG0265 Updated 3 Dec 2010 , 1:58am by Melvira

HG0265 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HG0265 Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 7:17pm
post #1 of 10

I met a couple yesterday for a wedding cake tasting. I showed her the cake stand that would go with her cake (chrome/silver) and she didn't like it. She wanted a white one. Well I don't have one so I told her I didn't have one and left it at that. I suggested may be the hotel might have one she could use or she could just put it on the table which was going to be covered with White table cloth. I dont think she was happy that I couldnt oblige her with the stand. Anyway, I just wanted to know if someone wants a certain cake stand, do you just provide it? Was I wrong is saying I didn't have one. It would be good to know what I should do for future reference. Thanks.

9 replies
WendyB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WendyB Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 7:29pm
post #2 of 10

How many dollars worth does she want it? Show her a picture and let her know what you'll charge her if you buy it.

Classycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Classycakes Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 7:43pm
post #3 of 10

The cost of my wedding cakes covers the custom designed cake board - ONLY. My husband makes them out of wood and I cover them to match the colour scheme of the cake.

If a client wants a cake stand, she is welcome to RENT one of the few that I have or she can purchase one herself. She can also check with her decorator to see if the decorator has one that suits her.

I figure I'm not a bridal supply store - I only supply the cake. I don't decorate the cake table, nor supply the table decorations. That's left to the decorator or to the bridal couple.

It would cost you a small fortune to supply a different style of cake stand or pedestals to each individual bride.

Jennifer1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer1970 Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 7:44pm
post #4 of 10

I had a bride who wanted a specific cupcake stand that she had seen in a store. I told her I would buy it, and she mailed me a check for the purchase price. I got to keep the stand, and she got the one she wanted. I think it's always good practice to tell the bride "I'll look around for what you want, but know that the cost of your cake will increase if I have to buy special equipment". Could work to your advantage, you get more variety of cake stands and a happy customer!

HG0265 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HG0265 Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 8:18pm
post #5 of 10

Thank you very much. I wish I had suggested that to her now. Oh well, I've learned something else!!!!!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 8:51pm
post #6 of 10

A woman approached me a few years ago, regarding doing her daughter's sweet 16 cake. I immediately told her I do not sell cakes, but she kept going on and on about what she wanted, so I decided to hear her out.

She wanted 7 sizes of acrylic cake stands, with the candle holders to match, about $30 worth of tulle and silk flowers up the stands, and the giant mirror underneath it all.

I explained to her that I can not afford to purchase a $500 cake stand set, with $200 for matching candle sticks, and another $300 for the mirror. Then I told her that if she wanted all that, she would have to buy it and have it delivered to me for set-up.

She said, and this is verbatim "I'm not spending $1000 on cake stands and mirrors that I'm only going to use one time!" She was annoyed to begin with, but she got really PO'd when I said "Neither am I. You'll have to find someone else to provide this for you." She hung up, and I never heard from her again.
Theresa icon_smile.gif

amygortoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amygortoncakes Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 9:50pm
post #7 of 10

If I were a bride and I had to outright buy the cake stand I would think that after the reception I would be keeping the stand. I know that there wouldn't really be any use for a bride to have a 12" cake stand...but where is the logic that the decorator keeps it if the bride buys it. If thats the standard than hey go for it, and say you find whatever stand she wants and then soon you will have quite a collection.

Or word it that a suitable stand would be found, and increase the cost of the cake to compensate for the stand.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 1:01am
post #8 of 10

I am odd one out here. I have purchased several stands and I allow my brides to use them free of charge. (I do charge a deposit on them) I just bought an acrylic set for a wedding this month - and it will go into the collection. I don't ask the brides to purchase these, I consider them "tools" of my trade.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 1:28am
post #9 of 10

Depends on a couple of factors. If it is a stand I think I will use repeatedly in the future I will go ahead and purchase it (if it's within my available cashflow) and then charge my normal rental fee and deposit.

If it is one I don't feel I will get much (or any) other use of I give the bride of either renting or purchasing it herself. If she doesn't want to purchase it then she needs to make another choice.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 1:58am
post #10 of 10

I have several varieties that I have purchased over the years, charge a deposit and a small rental fee. If bride wants a specific stand and I feel it's marketable for future events, I will but it and charge her the deposit and rental fee as usual. If it's something I feel I wouldn't have cause to use (or I think it's tacky) I'd just give her the option of buying it herself at my wholesale cost if applicable. She would pay shipping, tax, etc. too.

I also do the wood covered boards that I cut from a piece of MDF and never expect to see again. I will sometimes throw a few dollars on the price to cover that, simply because I have pretty low prices.

Edited to clarify: I mean wood boards covered in 'whatever'... not that I have boards that are covered in wood. That sounded weird. icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif And Theresa, that cracks me up... I'm not either!! icon_twisted.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%