Another Fonant And Fridge Adventure.... Help Please!

Decorating By v-rock605 Updated 5 Dec 2010 , 7:04pm by v-rock605

v-rock605 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
v-rock605 Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 12:53pm
post #1 of 13

Ok I know that when you put a fondant covered cake in the fridge it accumulates condensation there for it comes out wet. I made the horrible mistake of putting a mousse filling in a carved cake which I am going to cover in fondant. It definately has to go back in the fridge. I want someone to please tell me if my cake will be ok to put in the fridge or maybe even the freezer until the party which is this saturday. I always see the guys on tv putting the cakes in the fridge. I would really appreciate anyone's help. Thanks!

12 replies
Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 1:45pm
post #2 of 13

I just put a black fondant minnie mouse hat with a pink gumpaste bow in the fridge over night with no issues. The black fondant is covering rice krispies and dipped chocolate ears. Neither of those developed any condensation (that I am aware of) while it sat uncovered on the counter. By the time I went to look at it, the ears were shiny and the hat part was more of a matte finish.

I mixed some corn syrup and vodka to paint all over to bring back the shine. Easy!

I think your cake will be fine. Just don't touch it if it does get condensation on it. I have heard of people placing the cake in front of a fan if indeed it does develop moisture.

Like you said, you see Buddy putting fondant covered cakes in the walk in all of the time!

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 2:10pm
post #3 of 13

I put every single one of my fondant cakes in the fridge. Other than being a little shiny for a while after coming out of the fridge, they are perfectly fine.

v-rock605 Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 2:12pm
post #4 of 13

thanks i just needed a little piece of mind... this is my first carved cake. eeeek!

microbiology1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
microbiology1 Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 2:22pm
post #5 of 13

I put a cake with lemon curd filling and cream cheese crumb coat in the fridge over the weekend and it turned out just fine. It was only covered, not decorated. I've had trouble with decorations sliding off before so I try to avoid putting decorations in the fridge.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 5:53pm
post #6 of 13

Put the cake in a box and make sure it's covered. If it's going to be in longer than overnight, seal the box with tape.

My commercial fridge has horrible humidity issues. ALL of my cakes have to go into a box to go into the fridge and usually, I will tape the boxes closed for fondant covered cake. They will still get a little wet, but it will dry. Just DON'T TOUCH it and it will be fine.

Cakeartist5523 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeartist5523 Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 11:55pm
post #7 of 13

OMG what I learn on this site! I am self taught and NEVER new you couldn't put fondant cakes in fridge and I always do! I have never had a problem with them ever!!!! I feel safer with them in the fridge than out in the open?
I once was in a bakery and they used a speed rack with a cover over it that zipped closed RIGHT DOWN THE CENTER! I was so jealous but impressed. She just moved the racks up and down to fit her cakes and never worried about them once she zipped it up!!! I own a speed rack and might try to make my own cover, as I am starting to get a little busy and less room in my fridge, sorry I got carried away thinking outloud! hope this helps!

NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 12:08am
post #8 of 13

@ CakeArtist; I am fairly new at decorating. Hope this isn't a stupid question...but what is a speed rack? Good to know that you can refrigerate a fondant cake. And thanks everybody for the tips on how to make sure you don't ruin all the hard work of covering it!! thumbs_up.gif

Cakeartist5523 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeartist5523 Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 12:18am
post #9 of 13

@SandyBrandon,

I have attatched a pic, never have done it so I hope it works.

I tried to google a cover to show you the pic but no luck, sorry. I use my rack all the time in the winter, but never in the summer! Vegas heat, icing killer!

Ugh, Im such a newbie:

Here is a link if you want to look at one:

http://www.instawares.com/new-age-refrigerator-rack.naa-1338.0.7.htm

kcassano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcassano Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 12:28am
post #10 of 13

i pretty much do a mousse type filling in every cake of mine, and they are all fondant. i refrigerate them all. most of the time, i dont even cover it in the fridge. the fondant acts as a barrier and the cake has never gotten dried out. if i do cover, i put a piece of wax paper loosely over the cake then loosely cover with plastic wrap. but 9/10 times i dont even bother covering. i havent had a problem yet.

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 12:56am
post #11 of 13

I too put my fondant cakes in the fridge all the time. They will be dewey for for 15 mins or so, but it will dry. If condensation is a big problem, I put a plastic bag (or trash bag) over the cake before putting it in the fridge. They don't have condensation at all. Best of luck!

NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 1:02am
post #12 of 13

@ Cake artist: Thank you! that is what I thought it was....but just checking thumbs_up.gif

v-rock605 Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 7:04pm
post #13 of 13

Thank you all for your great advice!!! They cake was a hit. I put it in the fridge and it was perfectly fine. The mousse tasted nice and fresh when they cut it! I thought I was going to have my first disaster!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%