How Do I Get A Silver Icing Look?

Decorating By eez76 Updated 6 Dec 2010 , 5:51am by YOUnique_Cakes

eez76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eez76 Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 10:26pm
post #1 of 4

Hi! I am getting ready to do a "Star Wars" cake and would like any ideas on how to get silver vs. gray for the base of the light saber. I've only been decorating cakes 7 months and still don't know a lot of techniques yet. Also, what does MMF stand for--I saw figures made out of it on some of the cakes posted here. At least I think that was the abbreviation. Thanks in advance for any tips.

3 replies
nannykaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannykaren Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 10:48pm
post #2 of 4

MMF stands for Marshmallow Fondant. When you see an abbreviation on this site, sometimes if you hold your cursor over it, it will tell you what it stands for.

Also, there are many spray colors out there. You use it just like paint and spray it on your cake. I bought some online but can't remember where I ordered it from. You might try www.globalsugarart.com online or try at Michaels or Hobby Lobby if you have one in your area.

Someone else on here will probably have better information on this subject than I.

CakesbyCarla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyCarla Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 10:52pm
post #3 of 4

There are various brands of luster dusts or metalic powders you can buy (cake supply stores or places like Michael's & Hobby Lobby). You can mix these powders with vodka or lemon extract and paint it on with paint brush (some use airbrushes but I have heard sometimes they get clogged when using the luster dust types). This technique will give you a silver that is metalic.

I used the Wilton silver pearl dust in my WWE belt cake. Be sure to add the least amount of liquid necessary to acheive the strongest silver color.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1882321

YOUnique_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YOUnique_Cakes Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 5:51am
post #4 of 4

If your gonna use MMF for your figures your gonna wanna mix it with tylose powder. It will help it set more like gum paste. Here is a link to explain

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%