Pipe Snowflakes With Royal Icing Or Candy Melts?

Decorating By Black10 Updated 2 Dec 2010 , 12:19pm by cakesnglass

Black10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Black10 Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 3:01pm
post #1 of 7

I am trying to create mini snowflakes for a cupcakes but I am not sure which will hold up better...Royal Icing (the wilton recipe) or candy melts? I know that Royal Icing is very frafile but I'm sure teh candy melt once they are set will be fragile as well.

Anybody had any luck either way!?

6 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 3:10pm
post #2 of 7

I'd go with candy melts, that way if any break you can quickly remake them. If you do use royal, be sure to give them plenty of time to dry and make a ton of extras.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 3:19pm
post #3 of 7

Go with the candy melts. They're much more likely to be eaten. Hard royal icing will probably be picked off and thrown away.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

cakesnglass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnglass Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 3:43pm
post #4 of 7

I made some for a cake for this weekend I also use the Wilton Recipe for Royal Icing and add flavoring. Make on wax paper and let dry. Turn the board over and peel the wax paper off of the royal, less breakage. I don't use candy melts much (wish i could) , to humid where I live and never have good results. Kids like the crispy candy like royal icing on top of buttercream. icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 3:48pm
post #5 of 7

For piping royal onto waxed paper you can spray the paper with pam then wipe it off with a paper towel so there's a thin layer on there--the royal will still set up and you can more easily remove your work. Also adding gum arabic to the royal will strengthen it a lot.

My favorite is piping with candy melts or chocolate because they melt in your mouth! Like real snowflakes!

Christina1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christina1207 Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 4:54pm
post #6 of 7

Okay silly question what if someone wanted to pipe snowflakes on the sides of a cake. How would I go about doing that?

cakesnglass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnglass Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 12:19pm
post #7 of 7

Mark spots on the side of the cake with a toothpick where you would like to place them and with a #1 tip for very delicate snowflakes or #2 pipe your centers line (longest on your design) and then add the smaller angled ones to connect to the main lines. I like using a small parchment bag so it fits inside of my hand I feel you get more control. Make sure you sugar is sifted and no lumps when making the icing, using smaller tps can be frustrating. And keep a small brush and water so you can smooth any points you may get when piping/ opening your hand completly before pulling away from the ends of your snowflake design will help with pointed tips. Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%