40Th Surprise Party For Music Teacher -- Help!

Decorating By shortcake76 Updated 1 Dec 2010 , 6:51pm by icer101

shortcake76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shortcake76 Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 8:27pm
post #1 of 10

Hey Everyone,
I've been asked to prepare a cake for about 40 people for the middle of December. The cake is for my sister's 40th birthday... and is to be music themed as she is a music teacher....

Some points to consider:
-> she is a twin. I might need to somehow include my brother in this cake design. They are twins, but NOTHING alike! He is a highschool teacher.

-> I've taken the Wilton Course (1)... but still consider myself relatively new to decorating. I have patience though -- and learn fast. icon_smile.gif

-> I won't use fondant because I've never used it, and hear it tastes horrible!

Hit me! What ideas do you have for me?

9 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 8:42pm
post #2 of 10

Hi , i would definetly include her twin . She is a music teacher. Include musical notes, piano keys(something on that order) and anything in that line. What instruments does she teach , etc. What does your brother teach. Tell us a little more for more help. I am sure you are up to anything by the way you talk. hth

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 9:03pm
post #3 of 10

fondant doesnt taste horrible (wiltons is what used to be the worst, but apparently has improved - but there are dozens of brands and recipes). some people dont like the texture. at some point do experiment with it, it would be a shame to rule it out without trying it.

as to including the twin - is he going to be at this party? if so, if he sharing the cake, or is he getting his own cake (from who)? if hes not at the party, then i wouldnt put his personality on the cake (at any rate, i dont like cakes for two people with totally odd intrests, unless they are superbly done, its a difficult aim). if he has his own cake, he doesnt need to be on hers!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&meta=search&type=full&search=music&album=-&search_user=
there are some really god ideas on there, especially all bc ones.
xx

shortcake76 Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 3:17am
post #4 of 10

She teaches piano. For children. Out of her home. I could put her company logo on the cake I suppose. She might like that. icon_smile.gif I downloaded a musical staff I can transfer the pattern to the cake and add notes her her favorite song?? I can get the piano sheet music from her when I see her next -- I play a bit too so it wouldn't phase her if I asked for sheet music. icon_smile.gif

The twin --
He will be at the party -- though -- he is acutely aware and accepting that this party is being thrown by our brother in law (my sister's husabnd) and is intended to be for her. I felt so awkward telling him that -- I felt he should have been surprised too -- but -- he doesn't talk to her, or the rest of us much, and to be honest, I don't feel I really know him anymore (haven't in years). I'd probably do a tier cake and he could have his own tier -- or cupcakes for him?

He teaches highschool. I have no idea what subjects. I don't know what his interests are anymore (he likes to read, but I don't know what really). Its a shame. I used to really adore him -- but haven't seen much of him in years and years (i think we just drifted, there was nothing catastrophic or anything!)... Sighhh... such a mess!

I know my sister will mention her twin at the party -- so he needs to be included where ever possible, but the surprise party is just for her!!

Would it be terrible if I took a picture of him teaching (his son goes to his highschool) and did an edible image cake for him??

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 10:19am
post #5 of 10

ohhh awkward! i think the party is for her so its her cake - at least he is already aware of that! maybe a better idea is to make a cake for him, and take it over to him before the party?
xx

shortcake76 Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 5:44pm
post #6 of 10

I think thats a great idea! I'll deliver one to his house before the party... then he 'll know I thought of him too. icon_biggrin.gif thanks.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 5:54pm
post #7 of 10

If you end up making a simple one, this one looks great.

http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/2010/06/music-themed-80th-birthday-cake.html

I agree, the cake should only be for her.

icer101 Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 6:28pm
post #8 of 10

oh, ok,. in first post, you didn,t say it was from her husband , only for her. you were talking about both him and her. Didn,t know all the circumstances as you laid out few post down. So , definelty , make the cake in her honor only, with music decortions of what you have included that you can do. I know it will be great.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 6:31pm
post #9 of 10

icer101, not for her husband, and not from her husband. Twin brother/twin sister. Party is for the girl only. The twin brother is invited, but the party is not for him.

Shortcake76 has decided to give him a cake separately, not at the party.

icer101 Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 6:51pm
post #10 of 10

yeah, i do understand what she is saying, in the 4th post down,is what i was referring to. She says then, that this party is being thrown by her (our) brother in law, (my sisters husband). So , yes, definetly, the cake should be all about her. In the first post, she is wondering if she shoud include him also. so, she is doing good by him, and making him one also. that is great, even though , she mentions not really knowing him, etc. . Don,t we all have something like that in our lives too. So, she's a good girl for doing all this. i hope it all turns out great for all of them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%