Sharing A Cake Table?

Decorating By 4realLaLa Updated 1 Dec 2010 , 3:28am by cakegirl1973

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 4:02pm
post #1 of 7

I recently did a cake for a friend of mine, but the thing is...Someone ordered a sheet cake from a supermarket. It's fine that my cake was not the only one there but there was only one table for the cakes. I don't know if maybe I was just being picky or if was justified in not wanting the supermarket cake on the same table as my cake. I kept thinking that maybe everyone would think I made them both.

I didn't say anything or make a deal of it. I'm just wondering if anybody else has any thoughts. Would you guys have been cool with sharing a cake table? Has this happened to any of you and if so how did you handle it?

6 replies
TiffySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TiffySue Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 4:37pm
post #2 of 7

I get where you are coming from.. I once did a cake for a mom's group event that another mom who also decorates cakes also did a cake. There was a miscommunication of the venue who ordered, so both our cakes sat on the same table each with our own business cards. We were both there advertising our business so it was a little awkward, especially when it came time for the kids to pick which cake they wanted.. lol

I don't like to share my space though either.. after all that hard work! icon_smile.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 5:17pm
post #3 of 7

Many people have it in Their contracts that they must be the sole provider. If they see other cake, they can pick up their cake, take it home and keep the money.
xx

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 6:59pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by brincess_b

Many people have it in Their contracts that they must be the sole provider. If they see other cake, they can pick up their cake, take it home and keep the money.
xx

LOL. It was for a favor (there was no money to keep). You can actually see the other cake in the background of my pic. It is the butterfly cake in my pics. I wasn't angry just uncomfortable.

nannykaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannykaren Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 7:11pm
post #5 of 7

Your cake is really pretty. If the other cake was made by someone who decorates cakes in your area, I don't think you have to worry about the competition. The other cake looks pretty bad. The icing isn't smooth at all.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 2:52am
post #6 of 7

Oh my! I don't think there was any confusion. It looks like two totally different bakers/cakers to me.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 3:28am
post #7 of 7

I did a wedding cake a couple of months ago (my first) where a friend of the bride did a groom's cake. (I did not know this at time of booking.) While I was setting up the cake at the venue, the friend came with her cake. I immediately became concerned the guests would think that I did the groom's cake, because the quality was not up to my standards. Thankfully, while the friend was present, the venue brought a small serving tray and tray stand for the cake, so it was not on the same table as the wedding cake. Since then, I have changed my contract to state that my cake biz shall be the only provider of cakes for the event. Now, I have not included language that I can leave the venue with my cake, if another cake (grooms, sheet, or otherwise) is found at the venue. I will seriously consider adding it, though.

I am curious as to how others handle this in their contracts....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%