Dilemma! Would You Still Do This Cake?? (Kind Of Long)

Decorating By aundron Updated 1 Dec 2010 , 4:21am by cupcakeology

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 2:52pm
post #1 of 21

So, over a month ago (sometime at the end of October), I had an event planner contact me about doing an elaborate "dummy" cake and sheet cakes or cupcakes for an event that would feed 250 people for this weekend (Dec 4). They only wanted to spend $500 and my price was way over that for what they were wanting.

Didn't hear from them for about a week and they asked if I could get the price lower. I figured something out, sent them the price, but it was still over what they wanted to pay, but not by much. About 3 weeks went by and I hadn't heard from them, so, I took on other orders, for this weekend. Well, guess what? I get an email on this past Friday stating that they want the cakes and the dummy cake!! Because the cake(s) is due on December 4th; I told the person that I would need FULL payment by Monday (nov 29th) 9am. Well, I didn't here anything from anyone until yesterday afternoon around 2pm asking me to call them to set up payment pick up. I called the event planner to ask what was going on and was told that the client wasn't used to paying for stuff up front; only used to paying a deposit and paying balance when they receive the product. I told the event planner, that's fine and I understand, but I don't work like that ESPECIALLY on such big orders.

The event planner called me back and statd she was going to pick up the check and meet me (on last night) so I could get paid; I haven't heard from them at all. My question is, would you still do this order even if they came up with full payment? (I also have 3 other orders)

20 replies
cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 3:05pm
post #2 of 21

Personally, I would not. They are disrespectful of your time and your policies. Who's to say they would pick it up on time?

Tillie6500 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tillie6500 Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 3:08pm
post #3 of 21

Not ever. I don't do anything unless I have 2 weeks unless I have
no other orders and then 1 week is the shortest time.

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 3:08pm
post #4 of 21

I'm not in business, but I'd tell them at this late date you can not take the order. You've already given them plenty of time to pay up and now it's a few days before delivery. Walk away - you'll be better off.

aundron Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 3:09pm
post #5 of 21

I would actually be delivering the cakes!!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 3:11pm
post #6 of 21

No I would not do it--they've missed all your deadlines and for sure don't take a check if you do proceed.

Cheatize said it right they are wearing you down and disrespecting you.

Either:

No way no how

or

Green cash money only

Tillie6500 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tillie6500 Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 3:12pm
post #7 of 21

You should have declined when they wanted you to lower the price so drastically. How could you make the same item for a lesser price?

aundron Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 3:20pm
post #8 of 21

@ Tillie: They wanted custom cupcakes at first, with fondant, made to look like an ornament. When they didn't want that price, I suggested they go with regular cupcakes and that was too much as well, so, that's when I gave them a price for sheetcakes. Like I said, the sheetcakes were over their budget too, but they said yes to it.

Thanks for all the comments, I was leaning toward a big fat NO!! Not enough time to prepare AND I just dont like how they are going about the whole thing.

karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 3:28pm
post #9 of 21

No, it is not your crisis...it's theirs. Just walk away...trouble in the beginning almost always brings more trouble after delivery.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 3:28pm
post #10 of 21

I would do it, if I had the time and add a rush fee AND accept only cash, or a check from a local bank I could go cash immediately. icon_mad.gif

3-4 days out is crazy!

Edit: I think EVERYTHING has a price- they just have to be willing to pay for it. Fancy? Pay extra. PITA? Pay extra. Rush? Pay extra. You will NEVER be mad or upset IF you are being well compensated! So, if they bog down your baking week because THEY messed up- THEY PAY FOR IT!

I would NEVER say "go away, I don't want your business"

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 3:30pm
post #11 of 21

Absolutely do not take this order.
They are bringing you a check for an order this weekend - I'm sure we don't need to go over how dangerous that can be.

They knew full well what the deadlines were.
I am guessing they never showed up with the money since you are posting today.
Please do not accept this order even if they show up today with a check.

Let us know what happens

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 3:34pm
post #12 of 21

I'd ask you, do you have the time to do this order?
Do you still feel in your gut that you want to take this order?

I think if the answer is no to either of these questions you have your answer.

Do you want to rush a cake that 250 potential new clients will see? Can you get it to the quality you like to put out?

Money is money and I know people will stress themselves out and do whatever it takes because they need to pay the bills. The event planner is the one I hold responsible and has been flaky enough that I'd be afraid to trust them without cash up front, immediately. And if you want to go ahead, tell the event planner to get the check made out to her and she go to their bank to cash it so she can bring you cash. You don't have the time to be running around with this anymore, not and be able to get cakes baked and decorated. Companies work at whatever pace and this is not their typical work day planning, but they knew enough to hire someone whose profession it is to make sure things go smoothly and is well planned out. They have seriously failed in this aspect, so put it on them, not the company. Let them do their job and get you the cash. And I'd have them sign for the cakes, at the very least. No Refund, even if they cancel at this point.

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 3:40pm
post #13 of 21

No, I wouldn't and I think your gut has all ready told you that. As women we need to listen and trust our guts instinct. If they been this much of a problem, doesn't it scare you for the potential future? Espeically if they have issues with price. And if you do do it, NO CHECK. Cash only please.

aundron Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 3:44pm
post #14 of 21

Nope, I haven't heard from them yet.

As far as checks are concerned, I only take them if it's at least 2 weeks before the event date. Even then, I cash them first before I deposit them.

You guys are awesome!! Thanks for all the responses!! icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 3:51pm
post #15 of 21

I only accept checks 3 weeks in advance, because that's how long it sometimes takes for checks to go thru my bank and the check writer's bank.

Do I ever say to someone, "I don't want your business?"

Hells to the yes.

I say "no" in my cake biz, my B&B and my rental houses. Not all business is good business.

If you're already got 3 cakes this weekend, can you take on a fourth? I have recently drawn a line in the and for myself at three weddings in the same day. I've done four in the past and I don't want to live those days over again.

This has "Run. Run like the wind" all over it.

ladyellam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyellam Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 4:15pm
post #16 of 21

I have a feeling that if you did make the cakes, "something" would be brought up and they would want their cakes for free. They wouldn't say anything until after the cake had been consumed and would start complaining so you would have to refund their money. Like Leah said "Run. Run like the wind"

aundron Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 4:31pm
post #17 of 21

The more I think about it, I wouldn't be able to do it. I mean, I would have to get the money today; go buy cake dummies, fondant, mixes, etc. THEN, bake (3) full sheet cakes and decorate a 4-tier dummy cake with all the bells and whistles by Friday, as well as decorate (2) gift box cakes and a 2-tier Princess and The Frog cake.

(I forgot to mention I'm flying out of town to visit a sick friend on Saturday morning, made these plans while they were deciding on the cake price)

UPDATE: I let the event planner know that I wasn't doing the cakes and they would need to find someone else. I gave her some names of other custom cakes shops.

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 11:53pm
post #18 of 21

NO!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 3:30am
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommicakes

NO!

What she said.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 3:50am
post #20 of 21

Good for you. I would have said no too.

cupcakeology Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeology Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 4:21am
post #21 of 21

Absolutely not! I've had this same situation come up several times and when I've taken the order, it's always come back to haunt me. Run in the opposite direction!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%